Page 1 of 1
Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:38 pm
by kaybayray
I have been looking at this game since the AE edition came out. Looks really awesome and I am putting this on my Birthday Christmas list to my Wife. I would like to know if Matrix has anything of this depth, breadth, scope, quality, difficulty, etc... covering WWII in the European side of WWII?
Later,
KayBay [8D]
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:48 pm
by Bandkanon
Well, the same people who made the original War in The Pacific is also remaking War in Russia! They have a product site on matrixgames.com. The original War In Russia was great, and from what I have heard the remake will be at a detail level akin to WiTP.
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:58 pm
by JohnDillworth
Well I hope they late the Axis control production the way they let the Japanese do in WITP AE. You will all be driving Volkswagons by 1943! ME-262's! tens of thousands of Panther G's FW 190 dora 9's, the best fighter of the war along with the best pilots!
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:48 pm
by Lifer
Check out the forum. Production is not going to be able to be taken over by the player. One week turns.
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:18 pm
by kaybayray
War in Russia and War in the East do not cover the entire ETO, only the Russian campaign. I am looking for both East and West fronts, Atlantic and Med regions as well. Just like WITP AE which covers the whole enchilada.
I mean in WITP I can actually land Japanese forces in Santa Barbara.
Later,
KayBay [8D]
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:19 pm
by Erik Rutins
You should also check out our upcoming PC adaptation of World in Flames. There are also many other excellent titles covering the ETO and the full war in different scales.
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:53 am
by Vincenzo_Beretta
You could also check "The Operational Art of War III". It has dozens of scenarios, from grand-tactical to strategic level, and some of them cover the whole ETO. The caveat is that I do not know if the AI in these is up to par (the AI in TOAW III is generally good to very good for operatons and campaigns, but due to some limitations whole-war scenarios are usually best enjoyed in PBEM). You can ask about this on the TOAW III forum.
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:40 am
by GB68
You could also check out Matrix's WW2 "Time Of Wrath". I'm enjoying that also at the moment.
But, it is nowhere near the scale or complexity of AE or WitP. But, still a good product, with good long term playability. Probably the only area it needs work is the naval combat/engine. That's the only area where I feel it comes up short.
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:46 am
by Fishbed
Yes, I think I may very well buy it quite soon. Looks like a good compromise of playability/enjoyment on a very difficult scale and topic that has been ill-treated so far - and the dev team is quite responsive.
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:25 am
by lunca
Try Hearts of Iron III.
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:47 am
by Fishbed
I wouldn't if I were you...
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:23 am
by aspqrz02
ORIGINAL: lunca
Try Hearts of Iron III.
Only if you enjoy playing a fantasy game set on a map that vaguely resembles earth with counters that resemble the weapons used, but which hasn't a snowball's chance in the proverbial of resembling any events possible in the real world ... and which does an excellent job of not resembling the real world in any significant way [8|][8|][8|]
Phil
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:13 am
by comte
I look at the Hearts of Iron games as a bigger version of the Axis and Allies Board Game.
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:43 am
by yoshino
I wait with expectation of GG's War in the East and World in Flames.
Both games could meet requirement of historical accuracy and complxity as well as WitP AE.
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:37 pm
by aspqrz02
ORIGINAL: Aces8
I look at the Hearts of Iron games as a bigger version of the Axis and Allies Board Game.
Then why are you playing AE [&:][&:][&:] ???
No comparison [:D][:D][:D] !!!
Phil
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:32 am
by leehunt27@bloomberg.net
Total Operational Art of War III has a great scenario called "Europe Aflame" in its WWII Miscellaneous Scenario folder. I've been playing it for years against several opponents. The scenario/house rules are important to observe as you play but its a great proxy for the whole European war.
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:51 am
by Blind Sniper
You should also check out our upcoming PC adaptation of World in Flames.
Ditto!
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:15 am
by Hertston
ORIGINAL: lunca
Try Hearts of Iron III.
Pffttt... I doubt even the most rabid HoI 3 fanboy would claim it has the "depth, breadth, scope, quality, difficulty, etc." of WitP had they actually
played WitP. And while "fantasy game" might be a bit strong, WitP is in a different class when it comes to historical accuracy and realism.
All that aside, at least HoI3 is playable. I'm not at all sure the 'grand campaign' of a combined European/Russian theatre game in anything like WitP same style actually would be, at least as a recreational activity!
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:45 pm
by kaybayray
Thanks for all your resonses so far. [8D]
I have looked into many of them but none of them so far fit the bill. I am an old Board Gamer and cut my teeth on games like Blitzkrieg and Tactics II when I was a kid. Went on to most of the AH games and similar as they were produced. Games like Command at Sea, Over the Riech, The Atlantic Wall as well for the larger scope gaming. So I am looking for that in PC games. Eventually my friends and I created our own system to allow us to basically run do overs of WWII. Really into the Sand Table play. Have thousands of Micro Armor pieces.
I have most of the other games for PC like Pac War, Carrier Strike, Carriers at War and the like. I will be getting WITP AE and I am looking for its couterpart in Europe. But it appears that it doesnt exist yet. Still researching many of the titles you all have mentioned.
Later,
KayBay
RE: Matrix have Games of this Calibre on Europe WWII?
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:45 pm
by kaybayray
Well so far Norm Kroagers game seems like a possibility. Still need to look at a few others. However this does not appear to encompass R&D, Manufacturing/Production and not sure about the ability to create a campaign. Just took a brief glimps at it.
Any other ideas please let me know.
Thank You,
KayBay [8D]