Page 1 of 1
Clint Eastwood films
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:32 am
by Chris21wen
I've just watched for the first time two war films made my Eastwood/Spielburg, 'Flags of our Fathers' and 'Letters from Iwo Jima'. I don't know how many have seen them but as war movies go they are pretty good especially 'Letters from Iwo Jima as I do know of any other war film that has been made from the Japanese prospective.
RE: Clint Eastwood films
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:47 am
by Apollo11
Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Chris H
I've just watched for the first time two war films made my Eastwood/Spielburg, 'Flags of our Fathers' and 'Letters from Iwo Jima'. I don't know how many have seen them but as war movies go they are pretty good especially 'Letters from Iwo Jima as I do know of any other war film that has been made from the Japanese prospective.
Yep - those were good (especially "Letters from Iwo Jima")!
BTW, here are two recent movies from Japanese perspective (and made in japan):
#1
Otoko Tachi No Yamato
IMDB Link (click on it): Otoko-tachi no Yamato (2005)
#2
Ore wa, kimi no tame ni koso shini ni iku
IMDB Link (click on it): Ore wa, kimi no tame ni koso shini ni iku (2007)
Leo "Apollo11"
RE: Clint Eastwood films
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:32 am
by Fishbed
There was also an old movie seen from the eyes of the navy aviators. Air combats were made with models (that doesn't look very nice though) but the interest lies with the relationships between the different protagonists, from the air school to the helpless days of attrition over Bougainville.
RE: Clint Eastwood films
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:52 pm
by Rising-Sun
ORIGINAL: Apollo11
Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Chris H
I've just watched for the first time two war films made my Eastwood/Spielburg, 'Flags of our Fathers' and 'Letters from Iwo Jima'. I don't know how many have seen them but as war movies go they are pretty good especially 'Letters from Iwo Jima as I do know of any other war film that has been made from the Japanese prospective.
Yep - those were good (especially "Letters from Iwo Jima")!
BTW, here are two recent movies from Japanese perspective (and made in japan):
#1
Otoko Tachi No Yamato
IMDB Link (click on it): Otoko-tachi no Yamato (2005)
#2
Ore wa, kimi no tame ni koso shini ni iku
IMDB Link (click on it): Ore wa, kimi no tame ni koso shini ni iku (2007)
Leo "Apollo11"
Wondering if i can get that movie (yamato) at hastings, if not get i have to search for it cuz i dont hang out with video block buster much. I suppose i can ask if they can order one.
RE: Clint Eastwood films
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:45 pm
by Shark7
If you watch Turner Classic Movies, every once in a while you can catch a dubbed Japanese war film. It is interesting to say the least seeing the war from their perspective.
RE: Clint Eastwood films
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:52 pm
by Anthropoid
I enjoyed both of those Clint movies, though Letters was better IMO. I'm also a fan of Thin Red Line and "the movie whose name must not be spoken" (GAWD! that nurse was HOTT!!) though so you have to take what I say with grain of salt [:D]
RE: Clint Eastwood films
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:54 pm
by Rising-Sun
ORIGINAL: Shark7
If you watch Turner Classic Movies, every once in a while you can catch a dubbed Japanese war film. It is interesting to say the least seeing the war from their perspective.
I dont watch tv much and dont have cable network. I usually watch my own dvd collections and some videos from youtube.
RE: Clint Eastwood films
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:06 pm
by irishman
Tora! Tora! Tora!
RE: Clint Eastwood films
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:14 pm
by pad152
Amazon shows a couple of Yamato movies (some with english subtitles)
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... 7c&mscbg=0
RE: Clint Eastwood films
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:06 pm
by Rising-Sun
ORIGINAL: irishman
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Already have that one, pretty good. I like it better than new one the one katie was in.
Cool thx pad152, i check into soon

RE: Clint Eastwood films
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:00 pm
by xj900uk
'Tora! Tora! Tora' was far better (IMO) than that more recent travesty from 2001.
Also I have actually met and flown in one of it's original stars, a D3A Val (which is also a far better actor than Ben Affleck, IMHO)
RE: Clint Eastwood films
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:10 pm
by invernomuto
Otoko Tachi No Yamato is on YouTube, english subbed.
For those interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prd4-azzoQg
RE: Clint Eastwood films
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:20 pm
by Local Yokel
Presumably you know that they were not genuine Type 99 bombers in Tora! Tora! Tora! but (I think) Convair BT-15's mocked up to look like them.
I too saw and enjoyed 'Letters' a few nights ago, although the way in which it depicted the battle seemed to me to have an almost parochial flavour.
Felt greatest regret for Nishi's horse. Fratricide of your own species is one thing, but I wish we didn't inflict it on other animals.