Page 1 of 2

Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:04 pm
by Sardaukar
Air ASW seems have very little effect.

My game vs IJ AI, historical difficulty, is now reached 1/1/1944. I have had loads of hits by planes vs. subs...hundreds since Dec 8 1941, I think.

Curiously, only *one* IJN sub has been sunk by aircraft bomb (I did load the game in H2H mode too to check the sunk ships list from IJN side).

Anyone else having similar experiences? There seem to be nothing wrong with hit-rate..just that hits do not sink anything.

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:27 pm
by khyberbill
I have not even hit anything in my two PBEMs. Surface ASW has been ok, with the Brits doing well. The one thing I have also noticed is that the exp lvl does not appear to rise much above 60.

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:59 pm
by Nikademus
define "effect" [:)]

Air ASW's biggest bennie is that it helps keep subs from successfully attacking or if making an attack, doing so from a less advantagious position.

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:47 pm
by MikeS4269
[:)] Is this effect you speak of (of keeping heads / periscopes down) actually accounted for in the lines of programming and code?

If they disrupted attacks, I would love to see a percentage or something of effectiveness to know how my own ASW Air is doing.

(I just spent a bit of time setting up ASW in latest PBEM game.)

-Lb

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:54 pm
by Nikademus
yep.


RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:15 pm
by Valgua
ORIGINAL: Nikademus

define "effect" [:)]

Air ASW's biggest bennie is that it helps keep subs from successfully attacking or if making an attack, doing so from a less advantagious position.

That may be the case, but now and then a submarine should actually sink because of an airplane... The legendary Wahoo was sunk that way.

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:56 pm
by Admiral Scott
Only a few US subs were sunk by Jap aircraft during the war.

Does anyone know the actual total number of Jap subs sunk during the war by allied aircraft?

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:00 pm
by Nikademus
11

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:02 pm
by DuckofTindalos
Come on, LogBoy, you know we nerfed all ASW, both air and otherwise, just to piss people off.

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:10 pm
by Nikademus
hmmmm

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:23 pm
by Anthropoid
Will squadrons on ASW achieve about the same thing as those on Nav Search as far as spotting vessels other than submarines?

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:26 pm
by DuckofTindalos
Not as effectively, no.

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:27 pm
by Nikademus
Air ASW mission will give you a more intensive effort against subs. Naval search will often spot but not attack as much

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:30 pm
by Anthropoid
Any advantage to Nav Search? Better at evading being shotdown maybe? Armed to be able to take potshots at surface vessels maybe?
 
I would ask you what ALTs you think are best too, but I'll keep experimenting with that and see what i figure out.

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:33 pm
by jackyo123
ORIGINAL: lb4269

[:)] Is this effect you speak of (of keeping heads / periscopes down) actually accounted for in the lines of programming and code?

If they disrupted attacks, I would love to see a percentage or something of effectiveness to know how my own ASW Air is doing.

(I just spent a bit of time setting up ASW in latest PBEM game.)

-Lb


Definitely seems to be accounted for. I recently withdrew my 60+ exp aircrews from the pacific coast (maybe 10 groups total) and their replacements, mid-40's (in one case, mid 30's!). I stood them down for a month to do training on 80%, and during that month the japanese sub threat, which had been non existant off the coast since maybe mid-april, was back, and sinking ships again. So the 'air umbrella' definitely helps.

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:35 pm
by Nikademus
You'll get more attacks with Air ASW, but only half the effective search range based on what you set for range.

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:39 pm
by Anthropoid
Kewl thanks Nik.

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:43 pm
by dorjun driver
ORIGINAL: lb4269

[:)] Is this effect you speak of (of keeping heads / periscopes down) actually accounted for in the lines of programming and code?

If they disrupted attacks, I would love to see a percentage or something of effectiveness to know how my own ASW Air is doing.

(I just spent a bit of time setting up ASW in latest PBEM game.)

-Lb

Lima Bravo? But I don't need a tow.[:'(]

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:03 pm
by Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: lb4269

[:)] Is this effect you speak of (of keeping heads / periscopes down) actually accounted for in the lines of programming and code?

If they disrupted attacks, I would love to see a percentage or something of effectiveness to know how my own ASW Air is doing.

(I just spent a bit of time setting up ASW in latest PBEM game.)

-Lb
In one of my PBEM games as IJN (December 28, 1941), I have sunk approximately 20 submarines by airborne attack. ASW writ large.

Of course, I did it by attacking Manila with KB on December 7. I'd say this qualifies as an ASW effect.

I'm pretty sure that I've got other hits (as per the OPS report) as well. I'm very pleased thus far with my airborne ASW. I've even sank ss O-19 by depth charging it to the surface and sinking it with gunfire on the second day of the war.

I think ASW is working out fine for me.

RE: Air ASW not working?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:44 pm
by crsutton
One thing I have noticed. Surface ASW forces will attack more often when there is good air ASW cover. It seems to be a cordination bonus. I like it!
 
Remember American fleet boats had pretty good air detection radar. Should not be too many Japanese sinkings after 1943. Harrassment yes, but not sinkings. So far, it seems about right.
 
My question is, can I expect a lot more Allied air sub kills after they (Navy patrol planes) get air to surface radar? When does this radar start to arrive?