Page 1 of 1

So What is Better

Posted: Mon May 13, 2002 8:26 pm
by Gary Tatro
A Bazooka or a PanzerFaust?

Why?

Posted: Mon May 13, 2002 8:50 pm
by Kaakao
I like the bazooka more. It has a longer range and you can use it against infantry as well.

Posted: Mon May 13, 2002 8:53 pm
by Belisarius
Apples and Oranges.

Yes, the 'zooka is probably better considering it's versatility and ease of use.

Hmmmmm?

Posted: Mon May 13, 2002 10:58 pm
by Orzel Bialy
Now I have never looked up the armor penetration tables and compared these two weapons...however, from what I read and what I have experienced in SPWAW...I would say the following:
* If you are looking for a very versatile weapon for everyday use...give me the bazooka.
* However, if you are going up against heavy armor or bunkers...give me the PanzerFaust.

The PanzerFaust and it's cousin the PanzeSchreck had larger warheads than the bazooka ( the schreck had a 7 lb warhead and I believe 8.8cm diameter charge...don't hold me to that though. :) ) and could thus take out heavier protected targets.

As for SPWAW...do your own tests. Pick about four or five JSII's and put them up against infantry armed with each of the weapons...which I did one night when I was bored to death.
What I saw was the German weapons taking the Russian armor out with even frontal hits....albeit at shorter ranges....while the bazooka's bounce off more often.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth! ;)

Posted: Tue May 14, 2002 12:04 am
by Belisarius
Good point, Orzel. :)

It's better to compare the Bazooka to the Panzerschreck - after all, the 'schreck was inspired by the 'zooka.

Those babies came in 88mm and 100mm.

There used to be an excellent site covering this hosted by..uck.. Geocities, so it's temporaily down since a few months back due to heavy traffic.

Some nice information in German can be found here .

Posted: Tue May 14, 2002 10:06 pm
by AbsntMndedProf
Let's not forget the British PIAT! Even though, as I understand it, they were a pain in the butt to use, they can be very effective in SP:WaW.

Eric Maietta

Posted: Tue May 14, 2002 11:10 pm
by Belisarius
Well, that's true Professor.

BUT... apples and oranges again, IMO. 'schecks and 'zookas are RPGs, and takes very little effort to fire.

The PIAT is a spring-loaded abomination. :p It's like a giant grenade slingshot, or a grenade crossbow of sorts. From what I've seen, the jolly fellas issued PIATs were VERY strong.

Ahh what the.. just my $1/50 . You have a point nonetheless.

Posted: Wed May 15, 2002 12:44 am
by kevsharr
Operationally the panzerfaust proved to be deadlier than the 'schreck or the bazooka because it was a one-man weapon,with it's simplistic aiming device and inherently short range a Hitler Youth or an aged Volksturmer could be taught to use it with minimal training,heck I've seen a newsreel showing a old woman in a dress and mink stoll firing one.The idea that a single nahkampfer huddled in a roadside ditch with two or three panzerfaust was a allied tanker's greatest fear in the last six month's of the war...To you a hero is somekind of weird sandwich...Oddball

Posted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:00 am
by Major Destruction
Originally posted by Belisarius


The PIAT is a spring-loaded abomination. :p It's like a giant grenade slingshot, or a grenade crossbow of sorts. From what I've seen, the jolly fellas issued PIATs were VERY strong.
Not exactly. The worst aspect of the PIAT was that the rockets/bombs whatever you want to call them, were very sensitive and had to handled very carefully. But the PIAT was a favourite weapon carried in vehicles for the dismounted crews to use, if they could get their hands on one. The big bonus was that the PIAT could be fired from inside a building.
It was designed to recock itself after firing.

Posted: Wed May 15, 2002 9:05 am
by AbsntMndedProf
Major Destruction posted:

"It [the PIAT] was designed to recock itself after firing"

This is assuming that the trooper using it had the strength to hold it steady when its spring mechanism was released. Given the jolt of the spring action, which from what I've read produced quite a kick. Very often the recock mechanism was made problematic by the jolt produced by the spring action. (Perhaps this is why they were issued to the strongest troopers available.)

Eric Maietta