Page 1 of 2
In the patch
Posted: Fri May 17, 2002 3:25 am
by Rob Roberson
for the love of all that is holy,

please add new music. What was excellant music the first few times I heard it is starting to drive me batty. Of course I dont want to shut it off while waiting for turns to process, but...a nice set of Victory at Sea tunes in the patch would be great!
By the way thats my only complaint so far...great game.
Music
Posted: Fri May 17, 2002 6:11 am
by mogami
Greetings, Myself I listen to Brahms through my headphones while playing.
Richard Rogers
Posted: Fri May 17, 2002 6:20 am
by Ron Saueracker
I believe Matrix tried to have Victory at Sea as the background theme, but there was a legal conflict.

Music?
Posted: Fri May 17, 2002 6:47 am
by Basement Command
I never listen to any game music. I turn it off and listen to my Stereo.... Remember those?
Posted: Fri May 17, 2002 12:14 pm
by Marc von Martial
Well, you can all mod the music

Posted: Fri May 17, 2002 12:33 pm
by Rob Roberson
Oh really I hadnt thought of that...muahahaha
Posted: Fri May 17, 2002 3:23 pm
by Didz
Well at least you can turn it off.
Napoleon 1813 had the 1812 overture playing continuously in the background and there was no way to stop it. It literally drove me batty.
In the end I took to playing with the speakers turned off.
Silent Hunter2 Wolfpack League Radio
Posted: Fri May 17, 2002 5:00 pm
by Ron Saueracker
I sometimes go to the SH2 Wolfpack/Eagle League site and fire up Wolfpack Radio. It's got tons of period music and radio reports, speeches, marches, etc. Disable the pop up adds if ya can, they are annoying and crashed a game I was playing (about 2 hours worth of stalking the Ark Royal). Victory at Sea is on it, (Nemesis the DJ played my request for VatS and some Vera Lynne) and pretty much all the marches and hymns of the US military. Lots of British Commonwealth stuff, too...even Waltzing Matilda. Of course there is lots of German Military stuff on it given the theme. (ie. Panzer Leid, 10,000 mann, Lili Marlene, Das Boot theme etc.)
Re: Silent Hunter2 Wolfpack League Radio
Posted: Fri May 17, 2002 5:12 pm
by rhohltjr
It's got tons of period music and radio reports, speeches, marches, etc. [/B]
Wow. Not having been to that site, does it have Japanese period themes and music? Does that exist? Whoa, after looking at the subject line again, "Silent Hunter2.." my guess is probably not Japanese themes, but thanks for the headsup.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2002 6:50 am
by juliet7bravo
Having background "music" triggered by game date might be an idea for WiTP, an enterprising sound modder could create a sound pack mod to insert period radio news reports. Matrix probably couldn't due to copywrites...but if the game was structured <cough> <cough> so that it could be done they couldn't be held to blame...
Posted: Sat May 18, 2002 11:49 am
by Hartmann
I had strange deja vus with the music. Some intermediate parts (e.g. while loading) remember me of the background music of Wing Commander (when you´re in space and nothing much happens).
Other parts are like from the old Dynamix game "Aces of the Pacific".
Not that there´s anything wrong about it.
Hartmann
Posted: Sat May 18, 2002 5:34 pm
by Charles2222
When using Realplayer, you can save the tunes you're playing to a directory. I think the default is called Music. In any case after you have a collection of tunes, you can then click on the toggle below the normal video screen and play the entire directory. If you tool around enough you can even create new directories and assign specific directories for specific music. For example I have a German one, a USSR one, and a general military tune directory. Once you start playing an entire directory you can also click on the song playing toggle and restart the directory playing form the 8th song onwards for example, and then it'll wrap around continually. It seems to get disrupted and discontinue playing the directory every now and again, but I've had it play the same directory 5 or 6 times without a hitch. It's worth the effort to figure out how to do this.
Posted: Sat May 18, 2002 7:44 pm
by dgaad
Couple of comments and suggestions for the Matrix people :
1. The music is very good. I notice you don't have anyone complaining about it, which means that it blends nicely into play in an unobtrusive way, and yet adds an element of atmosphere and tension that is just right. Good job on that.
2. I hear people complaining that the manual is difficult to print and that a printed copy should have been part of the game package, but I DONT here people complaining that the manual sucks. I suppose if it did suck, no one would want to print it

Its doesn't. Its very thorough and organized, and easy to understand with plenty of examples scattered throughout. Good job on that.
3. The "windowing" system. The layers of windows one goes through to get deeper into your forces is generally good. One complaint I have about it is the delay. I don't want some kind of artificial one second delay when I'm going from base to base and looking through the various views of the troops and units at each location. This could be quicker in my opinion.
Re: Silent Hunter2 Wolfpack League Radio
Posted: Sat May 18, 2002 8:31 pm
by 11Bravo
Originally posted by Ron Saueracker
I sometimes go to the SH2 Wolfpack/Eagle League site and fire up Wolfpack Radio. It's got tons of period music and radio reports, speeches, marches, etc. Disable the pop up adds if ya can, they are annoying and crashed a game I was playing (about 2 hours worth of stalking the Ark Royal). Victory at Sea is on it, (Nemesis the DJ played my request for VatS and some Vera Lynne) and pretty much all the marches and hymns of the US military. Lots of British Commonwealth stuff, too...even Waltzing Matilda. Of course there is lots of German Military stuff on it given the theme. (ie. Panzer Leid, 10,000 mann, Lili Marlene, Das Boot theme etc.)
Thank you for introducing me to Wolfpack Radio, Ron. If anybody else is interested,
here is the link.
If anybody knows of any other stations or web sites like this with WW2 era music and recordings, please reply here or drop me a message. Thanks.
Re: Re: Silent Hunter2 Wolfpack League Radio
Posted: Sun May 19, 2002 12:20 am
by Mike Wood
Hello...
I am programming the patch. Please be advised that although I will not be able to respond to all of these posts, I am noting them all. I will take them to the design team and we will include as many of them as possible.
Thanks for Your input...
Michael Wood
Re: Re: Re: Silent Hunter2 Wolfpack League Radio
Posted: Sun May 19, 2002 1:16 am
by Hartmann
Originally posted by Mike Wood
Hello...
I am programming the patch. Please be advised that although I will not be able to respond to all of these posts, I am noting them all. I will take them to the design team and we will include as many of them as possible.
Thanks for Your input...
Michael Wood
Great news!

Actually, the only thing really bugging me is the sudden noise/sound distortions popping up out of the blue after a while of gaming. I have to set the hardware acceleration to completely "off" to avoid this, which in turn lets the sound lag behind awfully.
Hartmann
Posted: Sun May 19, 2002 2:32 am
by Mockingbird2
Wonderful Site... Thanks a bunch.

Re: Re: Silent Hunter2 Wolfpack League Radio
Posted: Sun May 19, 2002 4:33 am
by Slaughtermeyer
Originally posted by 11Bravo
If anybody knows of any other stations or web sites like this with WW2 era music and recordings, please reply here or drop me a message. Thanks.
You can go to
www.audiogalaxy.com (a Napster copycat) and get tons of WW2-era popular songs, but so far I was unable to find any Japanese WW2-era songs except for one march and some Tokyo Rose items. My favorite there is Charlie and His Orchestra, with plenty of anti-Allied parodies of popular songs (most of them recorded in 1942)approved of by the Minister of Propaganda himself.
Re: Re: Re: Silent Hunter2 Wolfpack League Radio
Posted: Sun May 19, 2002 7:55 am
by cpt_Venomous
Originally posted by Slaughtermeyer
You can go to www.audiogalaxy.com (a Napster copycat) and get tons of WW2-era popular songs, but so far I was unable to find any Japanese WW2-era songs except for one march and some Tokyo Rose items. My favorite there is Charlie and His Orchestra, with plenty of anti-Allied parodies of popular songs (most of them recorded in 1942)approved of by the Minister of Propaganda himself.
goody
now we have something beside
Turning Japanese and Mr. Roboto
Posted: Sun May 19, 2002 8:13 am
by rosary
I recommend you read the following article before checking out audio galaxy.
http://www.poenews.com/inhouse/vx2.htm