Page 1 of 1

Best recommended AARs?

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:25 pm
by Al Boone
I am up to date on Shattered Vow which is a game between Canoerebel and Miller. Canoerebel has done a wonderful AAR on this game. I couldn't stop reading it. It's better than any movie! Does anyone have a recommendation for other AARs? These are wonderful experience and training tools.

RE: Best recommended AARs?

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:38 pm
by Mike Solli
I recommend four:

Cuttlefish vs. Q-Ball

tm.asp?m=2254468
tm.asp?m=2255131

jwilkerson vs. jrcar

tm.asp?m=2197882
tm.asp?m=2200574

These are my favorites. A very nice mix of strategy, tactics, harassment of the other guy, and an amazing amount of knowledge.

RE: Best recommended AARs?

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:11 pm
by tocaff
Anything that Cuttlefish pens.  John III will also teach you a thing or two in an entertaining AAR.  

RE: Best recommended AARs?

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:22 pm
by Miller
ORIGINAL: Al Boone

I am up to date on Shattered Vow which is a game between Canoerebel and Miller. Canoerebel has done a wonderful AAR on this game. I couldn't stop reading it. It's better than any movie! Does anyone have a recommendation for other AARs? These are wonderful experience and training tools.

I wish I could do an AAR of my own to run alongside his, but I just dont have the time or writing prowess. Plus as he is the boss he can run turns whilst at work[;)]

RE: Best recommended AARs?

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:03 pm
by Q-Ball
The most popular AARs, and I think the BEST ones, are two-sided, where each opponent has one. I personally love Dual-AARs, which is why when I looked for an opponent for my game with Cuttlefish, I specifically asked for someone who would write an AAR.

Cuttlefish is the best writer around, I'm sure many want to see a reprise of Voyages of the Hibiki........not in our AAR though (Why? You'll just have to read it!)[:D]

RE: Best recommended AARs?

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:32 pm
by John 3rd
Thanks Tocaff!  Owe you another $5.00.

I will be trying my first campaign in a couple of weeks and will have an AAR to accompany it. 

Every AAR is different and provides all sorts of perspective.  I REALLY like to cover strategy and operational planning (plus some serious crying/whining [8|]) within my pages.  REALLY think the best AARs is where each player is writing one so you can go back and forth.  In that regard Dan Roper and I had one heck of an AAR running with WitP that made it to the end of 1944.  Great experience and a lot of fun.

The multi-player AARs are great too...fun to read the back-and-forth between the players...

RE: Best recommended AARs?

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:11 pm
by Zenra
ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I recommend four:

Cuttlefish vs. Q-Ball

tm.asp?m=2254468
tm.asp?m=2255131

jwilkerson vs. jrcar

tm.asp?m=2197882
tm.asp?m=2200574

These are my favorites. A very nice mix of strategy, tactics, harassment of the other guy, and an amazing amount of knowledge.

[&o] - 100% agree; both of these also contain excellent advice on how to manage the Japanese economy - don't know what I'd do without these AAR threads...

RE: Best recommended AARs?

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:49 am
by aprezto
Be careful reading any that Cap Mandrake pens/types - especially when drinking. Unless you don't mind the taste/smell of whatever your drinking embedded in your nostrils as you violently expel it all over your PC and monitor while uncontrollably laughing.

RE: Best recommended AARs?

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:00 am
by tocaff
John

That was $50, not $5!  I'll tell you some guys...................

I only wish that I could play as well as John, Canoerebel, Cuttlefish and Qball just to name a few.  That would help me to make my WITP AAR much more interesting, though a conservative (me) Allied player just into 8/42 doesn't have much to beat the drums with until about now.  [;)]

RE: Best recommended AARs?

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:29 pm
by Speedysteve
This one's not bad: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2310325 [;)]
 
In all honesty, I'm far from the best writer as I'm sure is recognised compared to the likes of Cuttlefish and Q-Ball's for example. Highly recommend their's.........