Page 1 of 1
Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:58 am
by castor troy
Hi
While I liked to take screenshots for my AAR in the old, small 4:3 windowed mode, I have now the problem that a screenshot taken while playing at 1980x1080 full screen has about 1MB which is five times too big to be uploaded. How do people avoid this problem? I tried to resize it but it looked just awful then.
Note, this is not a whine about the new 16:9 full screen modes... just can´t figure out how to use the screenshots now...
RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:17 pm
by LoBaron
Check the format of your screenshot.
print screen likes to save a bmp file and that is too large.
Open with paint and resave as jpeg.
RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:21 pm
by dorjun driver
[ol][*]Use the different compression algorithms available in Gimp (free) and/or Photoshop ($).[*]Try capturing only the area of interest via PicPick or other screen capture utility.[*]Goto 3*[/ol]* apologies to Edsger Dijkstra
RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:37 pm
by castor troy
ORIGINAL: LoBaron
Check the format of your screenshot.
print screen likes to save a bmp file and that is too large.
Open with paint and resave as jpeg.
that´s exactly what is happening and what I´m doing. Same as I´ve done in the past. Ending up with jpeg size 1MB+ now. The only thing that has changed is I´ve taken screenshots from windowed mode (1080x something) before and am now taking screens from 1980x1080 full screen.
RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:57 pm
by LoBaron
I havent done a screenshot post patch.
But dorjun driver is right, try gimp.
RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:04 pm
by jwilkerson
ORIGINAL: castor troy
Note, this is not a whine about the new 16:9 full screen modes... just can´t figure out how to use the screenshots now...
CT if it is possible to have a problem - you seem to take the cake - are you a "problem magnet" ??? If you need a testing job someday - just let us know! [:D]
I don't know what you're doing differently from me, but as you can see in my AAR my 1920x1200 screen shots, which I copy to paint and save as jpeg, are working fine.
If you can't find any other way, the crop your image just a bit in paint before you save and see if that helps, maybe you are right on the edge, but according to my arithmetic your screen shot size should have a few less pixels than mine, on average, and I haven't had an issue (yet). We've even seen a few large screen shots as well posted here.
RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:15 pm
by castor troy
ORIGINAL: jwilkerson
ORIGINAL: castor troy
Note, this is not a whine about the new 16:9 full screen modes... just can´t figure out how to use the screenshots now...
CT if it is possible to have a problem - you seem to take the cake - are you a "problem magnet" ??? If you need a testing job someday - just let us know! [:D]
I don't know what you're doing differently from me, but as you can see in my AAR my 1920x1200 screen shots, which I copy to paint and save as jpeg, are working fine.
If you can't find any other way, the crop your image just a bit in paint before you save and see if that helps, maybe you are right on the edge, but according to my arithmetic your screen shot size should have a few less pixels than mine, on average, and I haven't had an issue (yet). We've even seen a few large screen shots as well posted here.
sorry Joe, perhaps it´s just bad karma. Or it´s a penalty for my ranting? [;)]
I know your wonderful full screen screenshots you had posted in your AAR when you released the good news about the new graphic modes and I tried to do the same, unfortunetely I´m ending up with 1MB bmp now instead of the 200KB like before. Other than changing the game from the old 4:3 windowed mode to full screen high resolution mode now I have done nothing and am not taking the screenshots differently either. I´ve only noticed lately as I wanted to upload a full screen screenshot and couldn´t and wondered why, just to find out that the jpg had 1MB instead of the 200KB I was used to.
RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:15 pm
by castor troy
ORIGINAL: LoBaron
I havent done a screenshot post patch.
But dorjun driver is right, try gimp.
yeah, will have to use a screenshot programme again, I used to just press "print" and paste it into mspaint to work on it and save it as a jpeg. Doesn´t work for me anymore.
RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:47 pm
by Shark7
ORIGINAL: LoBaron
Check the format of your screenshot.
print screen likes to save a bmp file and that is too large.
Open with paint and resave as jpeg.
Most graphic programs will also let you cut down the quality of a .jpg image to help reduce the file size.
Widescreen sure is pretty though. [:)]
RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:03 pm
by Dili
With Xnview(freeware) you have a lot of easy options, resize, crop, variable quality.
RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:04 pm
by Mistmatz
I recommend paint.net
Just save as JPEG and lower the quality until you have the desired file size.
RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?
Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:29 am
by Reg
Irfanview gets my vote. 1920x1200 screenshot saves as a 256Kb jpg file at 85% compression.
Also allows you to resize, crop, reduce color depth or save in any format you could want.
RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?
Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:02 am
by skrewball
Or you can just Microsoft paint.
Right click on the picture. Open with MSPaint. On the tool bar go to Image -->Stretch/Skew and set to the stretch to 25-50% it will shrink it by that size.