Page 1 of 1

Map edge game bug

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:35 pm
by PJL1973
Have had a reproduceable bug when trying to explore the very edge of the galaxy map and zooming in / out. I noticed that it is possible to actually move out of the map and once that happens I get a blank white map with a thin red cross on the screen where the galactic map should be (everything else is fine). A popup comes up to give the the option to continue or cancel. I can carry on if I press continue but the blank white map remains, which can only be resolved by going out of the game altogether (desktop).

I have an Intel Core Duo 2.66 GHz processor with 4GB memory with a NVidia GeForce 8500 GT graphics card with 256 MB video memory.

The details of the error report is as follows:

See the end of this message for details on invoking just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text ************** System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.

at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, PixelFormat format)

at DistantWorlds.Controls.MainView.OxA5NgUPs605CmafkxJZ()

at DistantWorlds.Controls.MainView.OdnL(Graphics )

at DistantWorlds.Controls.MainView.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies ************** mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4200 (NetFxQFE.050727-4200)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll ---------------------------------------- MC

Assembly Version: 3.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4200 (NetFxQFE.050727-4200)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/mscorlib/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll ---------------------------------------- System.Windows.Forms

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll ---------------------------------------- System

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll ---------------------------------------- System.Drawing

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll ---------------------------------------- ‰‹?›—’”‹‰›š‰š?•›†?

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4200 (NetFxQFE.050727-4200)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/mscorlib/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll ---------------------------------------- License

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4200 (NetFxQFE.050727-4200)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/mscorlib/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll ---------------------------------------- DistantWorlds

Assembly Version: 1.0.1.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4200 (NetFxQFE.050727-4200)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/mscorlib/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll ---------------------------------------- DistantWorlds.Controls

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.1920

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4200 (NetFxQFE.050727-4200)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/mscorlib/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll ---------------------------------------- AxInterop.WMPLib

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Matrix%20Games/Distant%20Worlds/AxInterop.WMPLib.DLL ---------------------------------------- DistantWorlds.Types

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.1919

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4200 (NetFxQFE.050727-4200)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/mscorlib/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll ---------------------------------------- Interop.WMPLib

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Matrix%20Games/Distant%20Worlds/Interop.WMPLib.DLL ---------------------------------------- Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound

Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0

Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.dll ---------------------------------------- System.Deployment

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll ---------------------------------------- Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll ---------------------------------------- PresentationCore

Assembly Version: 3.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 3.0.6920.4000 built by: QFE

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/PresentationCore/3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/PresentationCore.dll ---------------------------------------- WindowsBase

Assembly Version: 3.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 3.0.6920.4000 built by: QFE

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/WindowsBase/3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/WindowsBase.dll ---------------------------------------- Microsoft.DirectX

Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0

Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.dll ----------------------------------------

************** JIT Debugging ************** To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this application or computer (machine.config) must have the jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section. The application must also be compiled with debugging enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" /> </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer rather than be handled by this dialog box.


RE: Map edge game bug

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:40 pm
by Erik Rutins
Thanks for the report, we will try to reproduce. Haven't seen this myself when zooming way out, but you may have found a way to do it that we never did.

RE: Map edge game bug

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:45 pm
by LarryP
I tried this very thing during testing two weeks ago and it worked fine. Must be a combo if some kind.

I just now tried it some more and it works fine.

What OS are you using?

RE: Map edge game bug

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:53 pm
by PJL1973
ORIGINAL: LarryP

I tried this very thing during testing two weeks ago and it worked fine. Must be a combo if some kind.

I just now tried it some more and it works fine.

What OS are you using?
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

RE: Map edge game bug

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:54 pm
by Erik Rutins
Found a way to duplicate this here on a Vista 64 system, it definitely takes some doing but it's possible. Thanks for the report!

Here are the steps I used:

1. At the most zoomed out setting, move all the way to the edge of the galaxy. 2. When at the edge, try to move further, the game will "bump" you back. 3. If you zoom in while it's "bumping" you can move just past the edge of the galaxy and see this error.

RE: Map edge game bug

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:00 pm
by hadberz
Happens with Win 7 too, never thought about scrolling outside the map [:)]

RE: Map edge game bug

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:03 pm
by PJL1973
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Found a way to duplicate this here on a Vista 64 system, it definitely takes some doing but it's possible. Thanks for the report!

Here are the steps I used:

1. At the most zoomed out setting, move all the way to the edge of the galaxy. 2. When at the edge, try to move further, the game will "bump" you back. 3. If you zoom in while it's "bumping" you can move just past the edge of the galaxy and see this error.
Actually you don't even have to go right out, just try and get as close to the map edge as possible at the current zoom and then start zooming in and out quickly should give you the same results. But it's nice to know that it's not just me that can do it.

RE: Map edge game bug

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:05 pm
by LarryP
It won't do it for me. This is what I tried two weeks ago and it still works fine. Strange.

XP Pro 32 bit.

RE: Map edge game bug

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:42 pm
by Webbco
I also run XP pro 32 bit and I just had the same glitch - galaxy map went white with red cross in the middle. I zoomed out quickly and I THINK that is what caused the problem. Forgot to copy/paste error message but seems like the exact same problem as PLG.

RE: Map edge game bug

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 pm
by LarryP
I hate to read this. Makes me feel bad for you guys getting this. [&o] [:(]

RE: Map edge game bug

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:19 pm
by richieelias
I can repeat the exact same results as the above easily on my laptop (at any zoom level). Simply scroll all the way outside the edge of the galaxy and zoom out while the mouse is hovering outside the galaxy bounds. Error message and big "X" follows.

This is running on windows vista btw.

RE: Map edge game bug

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:22 pm
by LarryP
Is this in Galaxy view?

Ten minutes later: Never mind. On my laptop I finally got it do it. That's ugly. I still can't get it to happen on my desktop.