Page 1 of 1
A different Unhandled exception
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:27 pm
by Ricomise
I've gotten a different unhandled exception error when I attempt to start the game. My Dxdiag is attached.
RE: A different Unhandled exception
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:30 pm
by Erik Rutins
Hi Ricomise,
Please update your audio drivers, they are from 2005 and very out of date.
Also, can you give us more info on when exactly this error happens and what the error message is? Is this at initial startup or after the game has loaded when you try to "Start New Game"?
Have you applied the v1.01 update yet?
RE: A different Unhandled exception
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:33 pm
by Ricomise
Attached pic of error:
RE: A different Unhandled exception
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:35 pm
by Ricomise
It happens when during start up, specifically, when the "loading screen gets to " Feeding the Large Kralldors" (Or something like that.
My language is set to US English, and I updated video drivers. Will look for updated audio. Thanks.
RE: A different Unhandled exception
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:37 pm
by Erik Rutins
Ok, that could be an audio driver issue.
Also worth trying is turning off your anti-virus/security during installation and when running the game to see if that is trying to grab some of the game files while the game is loading them.
RE: A different Unhandled exception
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:40 pm
by Ricomise
Thank you very much for the prompt response. I will try that.
RE: A different Unhandled exception
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:52 am
by elliotg
Hi Ricomise
This problem is likely related to Windows Media Player which is used to play the in-game music.
Are you able to run Windows Media Player on your machine?
RE: A different Unhandled exception
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:42 am
by Ricomise
I have always been able to run media player in the past... Yep, just checked and it still works. Unfortunately, updated audio drivers and new install with Norton turned off hasn't solved the problem. Any other help is much appreciated.
RE: A different Unhandled exception
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:10 am
by elliotg
Are you certain that you have Microsoft .Net Framework version 3.0 or 3.5 installed on your system?
To check please look in the C:\Windows\Assembly folder. In this folder you should see an entry for System - what version is this? Also you should see an entry for System.Core - what version is this?
Thanks Elliot
RE: A different Unhandled exception
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:33 am
by Ricomise
I let the game installer do its thing with both Net and direct X. I will check those folders when I get home this afternoon.
Thanks.
RE: A different Unhandled exception
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:22 pm
by Ricomise
OK. In the Windows assembly folder I have "system 1.0.50" "System 2.0.0.0" and "System.addin 3.5.0.0" Plus a whole bunch of longer system* entries. SystemCore says 3.5.0.0.
RE: A different Unhandled exception
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:48 pm
by elliotg
Hi Ricomise
Do you know how to use a Windows tool called regedit?
If so, could you please launch regedit.exe and navigate to the following location in your registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0\Setup\Windows Presentation Foundation
Please tell me what you see at this location (a screenshot would be ideal). Possibly this location may not exist in your registry, which is probably the problem.
Thanks Elliot
RE: A different Unhandled exception
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:37 pm
by Ricomise
Hey Elliot,
I looked in regedit as you suggested and went as far down the tree as possible. I've attached the screenshot of what is there.
For what it's worth, I attempted to download the .NET 3.5 Service Pack 1, and it failed to install multiple times. Unfortunately microsoft is not particularly forthcoming as to the specific reason why or how to fix it.
I appreciate the help.
RE: A different Unhandled exception
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:44 pm
by elliotg
Hi Ricomise
You appear to have a broken installation of Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0.
I'd suggest uninstalling .Net 3.5 and 3.0 and completely reinstalling them, along with any service packs.
Sorry I can't help more than this [:(]
RE: A different Unhandled exception
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:58 pm
by Ricomise
Elliot,
I will try that. It's an older system, so sometimes problems occur. I'm at a loss as to why the microsoft service pack refuses to install, but that's not your issue. Please know I appreciate how timely and specific your help has been, and that whatever the outcome, your company (and Matrix) have a positive review from me...
Thanks again.