Page 1 of 1

Lag, but only in max zoom out

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:57 pm
by taltamir
I commented earlier that the game is laggy and needs more threading... but I have to rescind it somewhat. I can now tell that the lag only occurs when I zoom out a lot. It also seems particularly exacerbated by having the animation for "special" things... EX: if I buy a bunch of special discoveries (10,000 credits each) from pirates, they all show up as animations in the galaxy map and produce a lot of lag. Even without them there is a lot of lag there in an advanced empire...

however, if i remain zoomed into the system level the game runs smooth as butter, even on 4x speed I don't notice any lag.

RE: Lag, but only in max zoom out

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:49 pm
by elliotg
ORIGINAL: taltamir I commented earlier that the game is laggy and needs more threading... but I have to rescind it somewhat. I can now tell that the lag only occurs when I zoom out a lot. It also seems particularly exacerbated by having the animation for "special" things... EX: if I buy a bunch of special discoveries (10,000 credits each) from pirates, they all show up as animations in the galaxy map and produce a lot of lag. Even without them there is a lot of lag there in an advanced empire...

however, if i remain zoomed into the system level the game runs smooth as butter, even on 4x speed I don't notice any lag.
Thanks for that feedback taltamir. We'll be adding a new feature in the next patch that will reduce the lag when zoomed out on large empires/galaxies. This feature will be an option to turn off display of non-essential ship types at these zoom levels, e.g. not display freighters, mining ships, etc.

RE: Lag, but only in max zoom out

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:02 pm
by taltamir
thanks, that would be awesome... Very quick response there guys. :P

In regards to the "blinking" of "special items of interest"... maybe some testing to see how much of a difference it makes? maybe it would be better to use a static notifier instead of animated one (odd that such an animation would make a difference though... i think, but not certain, it does).

RE: Lag, but only in max zoom out

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:26 am
by Erik Rutins
What you describe as lag, is that just the fact that at the zoomed out level it updates the ship locations less frequently, or is it something else that you're seeing?

RE: Lag, but only in max zoom out

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:29 am
by taltamir
i mean the game is less responsive and the visuals themselves stutter. Animations (the "blip" for areas of interest for example) skip frames too. The minimap flickers and takes longer to update, and scrolling the screen is jittery

RE: Lag, but only in max zoom out

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:25 pm
by Mysterius
Yes, the FPS are lower :)

RE: Lag, but only in max zoom out

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:41 pm
by taltamir
its practically a slide show, we are talking single digit FPS at most... actually I will get FRAPS and measure

RE: Lag, but only in max zoom out

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:11 pm
by taltamir
alright... i uploaded relevant files to server with this filename: "taltamir - lag only when zoomed out.rar"