UI Issues with Advisor- and Event-Popus
Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:36 am
Most or all major Dialogs in Distant Worlds usually pause the game when they are opened, and I like it that way. There are, however, issues with advisor and event popups in combination with these dialogs or on their own.
- Advisor popups seem to wait until a game dialog is opened to vie for the user's attention exactly then. It is the most disruptive way for them to intrude on me, because I open dialogs for a specific task, and it is also hard to understand as the game is supposed to be paused at this point. The same goes with many events, especially diplomatic requests by the AI empires.
- Some popups have the habit of toggling the paused-state of the game regardless of what state the game currently is at. This can lead to the Distant Worlds becoming unpaused during such an exchange while still running with the dialog window open. I cannot give specifics as to which popups have this effect, as I didn't take notes while playing the game (I am reluctant to alt-tab out of fullscreen applications as there are often problems with that, and with typically long time periods between saves I don't want to take unnecessary risks in Distant Wolds). I think that general care should be taken that any popup leaves the paused state the way it was encountered when the popup opened.
- Some stand-alone popups (Investigate Abandoned Ship, at least when it is invoked from the right-click menu) turn the paused state of the game off, regardless of what the state was before. I don't know whether other popups are also affected. In the case of the 'Investige Abandoned Ship' event, it makes sense that the game needs to run a bit, before the change, taking over that ship, is in effect. I still think that this change of state should always wait until the game is set unpaused by explicit user command.