Page 1 of 1
Black Holes and Typhoons
Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:27 pm
by Anthropoid
I've lost about six ships now to the Tydarea Typhoon, which seems to be some sort of radio-magnetic storm caused by the nearby Black Hole.
Is there any way to teach my stupid Explorer ship captains to stay suficient away from that crap?
It was very cool the first time it happened. Now it is getting kinda silly.
Losing a ship from time to time because of a random accident I don't mind, but the idea that the captains of these explorer ships would just keep sailing in there is a bit hard to suspend the disbelief.
RE: Black Holes and Typhoons
Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:02 am
by Sigh
Another candidate for "retarded gameplay"
RE: Black Holes and Typhoons
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:16 pm
by Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: Sigh Another candidate for "retarded gameplay"
Seriously, please refrain from this kind of commentary. We're a patient bunch, but these kinds of post in other customers' threads are not kosher.
Anthropoid, we'll definitely look and see what we can do to improve this.
RE: Black Holes and Typhoons
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:17 pm
by Fishman
Automated ships should probably avoid navigational hazards by default: Ships should only enter a navhaz if explicitly ordered to do so by the player, or it is determined that the navhaz is absolutely harmless due to the defenses the ship possesses.
RE: Black Holes and Typhoons
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:58 pm
by Anthropoid
Thanks Erik!

Not sure why this got moved to Tech support though?
I kinda like that ships can get messed up by navigational hazards, or that there can be catastrophes or something.
But 4 or 5 exploration ships in a row flying into the same region was just a little hard to suspend disbelief on. The fact that you guys have included real stuff like black holes and supernova, etc. is just awesome! [:D]
This is by far the best space game I've ever played.
RE: Black Holes and Typhoons
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:10 am
by Aurelian
Heh, you'd think one of them would send out a warning[:)]
RE: Black Holes and Typhoons
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:26 pm
by Awaras
Another funny thing I had happen to me: My explorer found an abandoned base inside a stormcloud. After about 10-20 minutes i started getting messages about freighters being disabled. I click on the message and see that base surrounded by about 20 freighters falling apart from the damage inflicted by the storm. I kept an eye on the base out of curiosity, and freighters kept coming to it and getting destroyed. The base was out of fuel and they kept trying to refuel it even tho they had no chance of survival. In the end I disbanded the base.

RE: Black Holes and Typhoons
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:14 pm
by FerretStyle
ORIGINAL: Awaras
Another funny thing I had happen to me: My explorer found an abandoned base inside a stormcloud. After about 10-20 minutes i started getting messages about freighters being disabled. I click on the message and see that base surrounded by about 20 freighters falling apart from the damage inflicted by the storm. I kept an eye on the base out of curiosity, and freighters kept coming to it and getting destroyed. The base was out of fuel and they kept trying to refuel it even tho they had no chance of survival. In the end I disbanded the base.
Almost makes you wish you could do things like this manually, "just in case". You know what I mean?
RE: Black Holes and Typhoons
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:16 pm
by Sigh
no