Page 1 of 1
Responsiveness issues.
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:33 am
by Bloodly
Nice game. Still trying to find my way around. Matters are not helped by the game being slow to respond to my mouse clicks practically everywhere in game. No other game I possess does this. It's infuriating. I can forgive long startup time(a minute or two), but not this.
My system is
Intel Core2Duo 2.93 Ghz Nvidia GT240(all drivers updated) 2 GB Ram. Windows XP
What's going on?
RE: Responsiveness issues.
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:25 am
by Sigh
Strange I think my system is below those specs actually but it works (What IS terrible is the zoom lag though) I do have 4 gigs of ram on windows 7 though.
Try a smaller map if you havnt already
RE: Responsiveness issues.
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:36 am
by Bloodly
I have-I stick to small to tiny to try and learn. When I say 'everywhere', I mean it-even the Galactopedia at start up can have this issue occur. It can occur anywhere, at any time, continuously.
I also note that the game uses a full 50% of CPU time(So it's basically using the whole of one core), and would probably use more if it was capable. Again, I've not known a game that does so. I wonder why it's so greedy?
RE: Responsiveness issues.
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:11 am
by Sigh
It might just be poor code (meaning chances are it will be fixed).
But if your the only one experiencing it it could very well be just something specific to your system which would possibly make finding the problem harder.
RE: Responsiveness issues.
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:49 am
by Erik Rutins
Hi Bloodly,
Have you tried the performance improvements suggested in the Tech Support FAQ thread in this forum yet?
Have you updated to 1.0.3?
Could you post a DxDiag for us please?
Regards,
- Erik
RE: Responsiveness issues.
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:58 am
by Bloodly
1.3 is installed.
RE: Responsiveness issues.
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:13 pm
by Erik Rutins
Thanks - did the performance improvements in the FAQ make any difference for you?
This is definitely something system specific as it runs very quickly on much lower end systems.
Have you tried restoring your graphics driver settings to their defaults?
Did you allow the DirectX and .NET versions that were included with the game installer to install fully?
Have you tried shutting down all background programs and processes to see if anything there is interfering with DW? You might try this:
tm.asp?m=2422447
Regards,
- Erik
RE: Responsiveness issues.
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:27 pm
by Bloodly
The Graphics drivers are most certainly at default-I was forced to go through some horrible issues to get the graphics card working reasonably in the first place(The words 'Nv4_disp' should tell you all you need to know). Rest assured, they're at default.
Yes, the two programs were allowed to install.
All options have been set to lowest-indeed, System Nebulae was already on lowest by default. Whilst now the game isn't gobbling 50% of the processor now, the problem persists. Click-wait 5 seconds, action. FPS is set to 25.
RE: Responsiveness issues.
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:31 pm
by Erik Rutins
Ok, please give a try at clearing out background programs and processes to see if one of those could be interfering, this is definitely not normal behavior for the game. Hopefully Elliot will also have some suggestions.
Could the graphics driver issues have had any effect on this? I'm not sure what you went through.
RE: Responsiveness issues.
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:14 pm
by Bloodly
Matter settled. Was a third-party program: one that has never caused issues with anything else but this.
RE: Responsiveness issues.
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:12 pm
by Erik Rutins
Bloodly,
May I ask which program it was? Could be useful for us to know.
Regards,
- Erik
RE: Responsiveness issues.
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:25 pm
by Bloodly
Deskmates, from Oska Software(
www.oska.com).