Page 1 of 1

Memory Bug - different?

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:19 pm
by AerLingus
So. I'd been playing my game (1400 systems scale, generally lots'o'stuff on the other options) for several hours. I saved it, went away for a while and came back without closing. Since I'd left it unpaused, I decided to reload from the save I made just before I left. When I tried to do so, it tried to load for a while and then popped up an error that told me it couldn't load the game because it was out of memory. After I hit "OK" on the error box, it took me to the main menu. At this point, I checked my Task Manager and my memory usage was relatively high (65-70%), mostly by Distant Worlds. I tried to load the game again and got the same error. I closed DW and re-started it, loaded the game again and everything was fine.

Tentative possible conclusion: the in-game load did not properly dump the current game from memory before loading the new game. Furthermore, it still didn't dump the current game from memory after the new game failed to load. I think this because the memory usage did not drop when I went to the main menu, but then was lower after I restarted the application.

RE: Memory Bug - different?

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:41 pm
by Fishman
Yes, I've mentioned the apparent tendency of the game to leak memory which is why it seems to be using way more RAMs than it should be.