Page 1 of 2
Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:06 pm
by sullafelix
I've searched and searched for this but to no avail.
During the early 70's I believe there was a show or tv movie where the main character found his own grandfather frozen on top of a mountain and thawed him out and they lived together. The actor looks like Richard Crenna but isn't and his voice is very recognizable because he was used as a narrator in tons of things. I believe he narrated the series about ships ( different kind each episode ) for the History Channel, at least that where I saw it.
Any help would be greatfully appreciated because when I bring this up people think I'm nuts.
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:03 pm
by Yogi the Great
Ok a guess, but might be close, I do remember the show
Monty Markum (Spelling unknown) He was in a number of shows for awhile and unfortunately I'm old enough to remember, if I don't forget of course.
---------
Added with edit
Ok I think I was close from google
Monte Markham (born June 21, 1935) is an American actor. During his career, Markham has appeared in film, in television, and on Broadway.
Markham was born in Manatee County, Florida, the son of Millie Content (née Willbur) and Jesse Edward Markham, Sr., who was a merchant.[1]
Markham's many television credits include Cold Case, Mission: Impossible, Here Come the Brides, The Mod Squad, The Virginian, Ellery Queen, Hogan's Heroes, The High Chaparral, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Alias Smith and Jones, Barnaby Jones, Hawaii Five-O, The Six Million Dollar Man, Quincy, Police Woman, Trapper John M.D., The Incredible Hulk, Hart to Hart, The Fall Guy, Dallas, Matt Houston, Simon and Simon, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, The A-Team, Finder of Lost Loves, Hotel, Murder She Wrote, The Golden Girls, Baywatch, Melrose Place, Grace Under Fire and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He played the title character in the ill-fated 1973 revival of Perry Mason, and the dual role of Luke and Ken Carpenter in the 1967-68 ABC sitcom The Second Hundred Years.
Markham made his Broadway debut in 1973 in Irene, for which he won the Theatre World Award. He also appeared on stage in Same Time, Next Year.
Markham's film work includes Guns of the Magnificent Seven, Airport 77 and Hour of the Gun. He has served as a consultant, director, producer, and narrator for A & E's "Classroom" series
Go back and search the name - you will find pictures, pretty sure this is the guy you are thinking of.
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:09 pm
by rhondabrwn
This seems to be a rather thorough exploration of the "deep freeze" them, but nothing looks like what you are talking about.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HumanPopsicle
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:30 pm
by Terl
This one from Rhonda's link sounds close:
•The 1967 show The Second Hundred Years'' starring Monte Markham as the prospector who had been frozen in a glacier for decades.. AND ALSO his identical-looking, identical-age grandson. This trope was the entire concept of the show.
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:49 pm
by sullafelix
That's where I messed up I didn't go back far enough I thought it was during the 70s. Wow am I old.
Thanks people now I can prove I'm not nuts and it did exist.
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:58 am
by Southernland
You think thats archane? Who remembers lancelot link? About the same time period
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancelot_Link,_Secret_Chimp
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:13 am
by Scott_WAR
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:14 am
by sullafelix
Lancelot was a big deal back then. I would have no problem talking with people my age and having them remember it. I finally posted here in desperation about what turned out to be " The second hundred years war " just because no one ever remembered it.
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:31 pm
by decaro
ORIGINAL: Southern_land
You think thats archane? Who remembers lancelot link? ...
Unfortunately I do; I also remember, "My Mother the Car".
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:02 pm
by sullafelix
Ok now I'll date myself. I used to watch " My Little Margie" and I loved "My Mother the Car". Wasn't she a Model T?
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:38 am
by decaro
ORIGINAL: sulla05
Ok now I'll date myself. I used to watch " My Little Margie" and I loved "My Mother the Car". Wasn't she a Model T?
Sort of.
According to IMDb, "'Mother' was a 1928 Porter, but not one of the real two Porter makes that had existed; the car was made from a 1927 Ford Model T Touring car by none other than George Barris. Mr. Barris is the same fellow who modified the Lincoln Futura experimental car from the 1950s into the Batmobile and unlike a Model T 'Mom' had a 327 Chevy V8 engine and automatic transmission. Barris built two Porters for the show; one is in Tennessee and the other is in Alberta. One of the cars had removable floorboards and controls which would allow the car to be driven with a driver out of sight, controlling it by watching through hidden mirrors."
The show ran for a full season, and I too fondly remember "Gale Storm".
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:46 am
by Yogi the Great
I thought "My Mother the Cat" was cute. Staring Jerry Van Dyke and the voice of maybe Eve Ardin for the car but not sure on that. Of course I also seem to remember that the show was often mentioned as one of the worst TV shows of all time.
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:14 am
by Halsey
Yeah, The Second Hundred Years...
That's an old series.[:D]
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:28 am
by vonRocko
ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great
I thought "My Mother the Cat" was cute.
I thought your mother,the cat, was cute also! I remember the lazy summer afternoons at the "cathouse", petting all the pussies![:D]
(just a joke, not a shot at your mom)[;)]
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:36 pm
by Yogi the Great
ORIGINAL: vonRocko
ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great
I thought "My Mother the Cat" was cute.
I thought your mother,the cat, was cute also! I remember the lazy summer afternoons at the "cathouse", petting all the pussies![:D]
(just a joke, not a shot at your mom)[;)]
I was just noticing my typo and was going to correct it when I saw your post. I like your post better so I think I will leave it the way it is.
By the way, I should try to google it, but I said Eve Ardin may have been the mother, now I'm thinking Joan Sutherland - it's hell when you lose your mind.
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:16 pm
by decaro
ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great
I thought "My Mother the Cat" was cute. Staring Jerry Van Dyke and the voice of maybe Eve Ardin for the car ....
Actually it was Ann Southern, whose voice appeared to come from the car radio as a light blinked behind it; something like a low-tech Kitt from "Night Rider".
And yes, in a poll by "The O'Reilly Factor," MMtC was was voted the worst TV show in broadcast history, but it still ran for a full season.
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:10 pm
by Yogi the Great
Thanks Joe D.
Yeah it's frustrating to "kind of remember" so many things. As in my first response to this thread Monty Markum close but actually is Monte Markham. Then Eve Ardin, became Joan Southerland but actually is Ann Southern. Many times that's how memory seems to work I'm afraid. You remember some things even quite well, it just gets a little foggy around the edges. [;)]
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:44 am
by decaro
ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great
... You remember some things even quite well, it just gets a little foggy around the edges. [;)]
Here's the secret to my "memory": Internet Movie Data Base at
http://www.imdb.com/
IMDb is a treasure chest of cinematic factoids and televisied trivia where I "vet" all my recollections before posting.
BTW, didn't Monte Markham once host a TV game show where contestants "hunted" for treasure?
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:27 am
by Yogi the Great
ORIGINAL: Joe D.
BTW, didn't Monte Markham once host a TV game show where contestants "hunted" for treasure?
I do rember a game show called Treasure Hunt - checking google though it says the 1950's version was hosted by Jan Murray and the 1970's version by Geoff Edwards. I did not see reference to Monte in the description. I recall Monte Markham appearing in a lot of TV shows but not a game show, but who knows. I'll just leave Monty Hall and Let's make a deal out of this.
RE: Totally OT tv actor and movie show
Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:56 am
by decaro
ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great
ORIGINAL: Joe D.
... I'll just leave Monty Hall and Let's make a deal out of this.
A contributer on IMDb actually called Chuck Barris' "Treasure Hunt" a ripoff of "Let's Make a Deal"!
Re IMDb, when Edwards was hosting the show, it only had female contestants, but men and women were paired under Murray.