Page 1 of 1

Some questions about JTCS...

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:29 am
by Knavery
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of buying this game, but am looking for a little feedback. I tried the new Strategic Command 2: Global Conflict demo from Battlefront, but I'm not sure that it's my cup of tea as it just seems too large in scale. However, I do like the visual scale of the units and how the map is displayed. I noticed Tiller's Campaign series is very similar.

Recently, I purchased Advanced Tactics, Time of Wrath, and ToAWIII. However, I'm just having a hard time getting into them as I'm kind of new at the turn-based wargaming genre. For some reason though, John Tiller's Campaign series looks inviting to my eyes and doesn't appear to be too large to handle as a beginner. I also hear it has campaigns.

I have a few questions I was wondering if some of you could answer.

1.) Can you buy units while fighting different scenarios or are you stuck with what you have? How does supply work?
2.) Does the game support screen resolutions of 1680x1050?
3.) Does it work well in Windows 7 64bit?
4.) Do the mechanics of this "old" remake hold up well against other games written today? In other words, does it hold the suspension of disbelief?

Thanks!

RE: Some questions about JTCS...

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:51 am
by Menschenfresser
1) You are stuck with what you have; however, in the DCG (Dynamic Campaign Game), which is a series of randomly generated scenarios based around a historical timeline, you can choose which type of command you'll have (Infantry or Tanks). I don't play many DCGs, so I don't know if there are more types.
1a) Supply is done via HQs. If a unit has fired, it can be reduced to 'low ammo' if it and/or its HQ(s) fail several checks. It's rather complicated, but doesn't involve bean counting like you have in, say, TOAW.
2) Don't know as I use an old crappy laptop.
3) Don't know as I use XP & linux
4) It does hold up well. Game play is based around a rather simple model, with layers and layers of complexity wrapped around it. You can open a scenario and begin moving and shooting right away...possibly even winning. But you quickly realize that mastery is a long way down the road. It does hold up the suspension of disbelief for me. Last night I played a defend scenario pitting US soldiers holding out against German tanks approaching Bastogne. I didn't get to the end, but the AI pretty much handed me my ass on a silver platter (granted, I'm not that good at this game). It can get pretty intense when you're fighting to hold one hex.

Be warned, at first it might seem like a pick-up-and-play type game (and to some degree it is), but in order to enjoy it, you have to spend time with it. Like TOAW (I don't own the others you mention), it requires a good read of the manual (and the occassional reference to it) and many games to feel competent.

I still don't and I've had Campaign series games since they were new. :)

Overall, JTCS is a tactical game. If you don't like tactical combat, which I'd rate as far more complex than panzer general and less complex than the various incarnations of steel panthers, then stay away. If you do like it, it's definitely worth the money. There are a ton of scenarios included in the game. And probably 4 times that many (a wild guess) floating around at the Blitz, Wargamer, etc.

RE: Some questions about JTCS...

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:17 pm
by wings7
Knavery,

Buy the series , you won't regret it...I'm not sure of the Windows 7 64 bit compatibility.

Patrick

PS. I like the Dylan photo!

RE: Some questions about JTCS...

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:10 pm
by Crossroads
Just buy it - the best tactical level WWII game out there with scenario editors meaning the community will keep you busy with new scenarios until Kingdom Comes

Additionally, the game play is simple to learn, but has a truly amazing level of depth to master!

Here's the remaining two answers:

2) The game automatically adapts to any resolution you have. The better resolution the bigger the battlefield you see. There's three 3D zoom levels and two 2D zoom levels to use.

3) Yes, it works with Win7 64bit

I've got a W7 64bit with a 1920x1080 screen.

RE: Some questions about JTCS...

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:00 pm
by Geomitrak
Ditto on question 3; works perfectly in Windows 7 64 bit.

Regards

Paul