Page 1 of 4
That's just not right...
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:11 pm
by highpocrisy
I was waiting for this game for years and I own the previous titles in the series as well as tens of other matrix games.
Now you tell me what changed in the development that warrants charging two and a half games for one other then Matrix getting greedier and greedier..
I have been spending my hard earned money on Matrix games since pretty much day one and own most of their catalog but this is just highway robbery
the way matrix treats its loyal customers who instead of turning to piracy always supported Matrix and the war gaming genre.
I am sorry but I will not pay 90 dollars for a game that always cost 30-40.
That's just not right, period.
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:54 pm
by wodin
Many have voiced their concerns...including myself. I do believe the game is worth the money but I felt it would price alot of loyal customers out.
Although after the initial shock wore off I have got used to the idea of having to pay more for certain games.
However take this as a word of warning alot of ill feeling on here and there are a few around who will jump on you for posting this thread.
It is prob best to post it under the Price thread though.
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:21 pm
by Redmarkus5
I paid about that much for WitP AE, as I recall, due to its huge scale, but nothing else since. And WitP let me down in terms of the AI.
However, after reading through most of the threads here and noting one in particular that talks about the range of possible user-made scenarios, I (foolishly?) decided the take the plunge.
In my judgement, having played through two scenarios so far, it's a very good game but the observable difference between BftB and HTTR is relatively small. Maybe the AI is hugely improved, but I see AI commanders marching their HQ element and their mortar element right into know enemy positions AFTER their combat units have retreated, so I can't tell. (Wodin - I won't say the 'C' word!).
I'll keep it and play it and hope that patches flow and new scenarios appear (East Front please!!!) but I do feel that I paid too much for what this game delivers.
Sorry if anyone is annoyed by this, but I am a customer too (a customerx2 given the fact that I just paid double the price!)
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:27 pm
by Perturabo
ORIGINAL: highpocrisy
I am sorry but I will not pay 90 dollars for a game that always cost 30-40.
How so? Where was Battles from the Bulge sold for 30-40$?
ORIGINAL: highpocrisy
That's just not right, period.
Why?
ORIGINAL: highpocrisy
Now you tell me what changed in the development that warrants charging two and a half games for one other then Matrix getting greedier and greedier..
There's nothing wrong in wanting to be paid handsomely for ones hard work.
ORIGINAL: highpocrisy
I have been spending my hard earned money on Matrix games since pretty much day one and own most of their catalog but this is just highway robbery
the way matrix treats its loyal customers who instead of turning to piracy always supported Matrix and the war gaming genre.
If you know many games that offer what Battles from the Bulge do and do it two times cheaper, then can point me to them?
If you can't, maybe the reason is that making a game with a good Command and Control requires so much research, studying and hard work that making it and selling for 30-40$ isn't worthwhile?
Why wanting to get paid decently for ones hard work would be a "highway robbery"?
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:29 pm
by wodin
I'm suprised to hear HQ units still go into that attack like that...its a concern...
I'm trying to work out what the C word is?
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:33 pm
by DanOppenheim
Carrots?
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:59 pm
by wodin
cucumbers....oh no aha I've got it campaigns[;)]
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:00 pm
by Redmarkus5
ORIGINAL: wodin
I'm trying to work out what the C word is?
Campaign

RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:49 pm
by Adam Parker
ORIGINAL: highpocrisy
I was waiting for this game for years and I own the previous titles in the series as well as tens of other matrix games.
Now you tell me what changed in the development that warrants charging two and a half games for one other then Matrix getting greedier and greedier..
I have been spending my hard earned money on Matrix games since pretty much day one and own most of their catalog but this is just highway robbery
the way matrix treats its loyal customers who instead of turning to piracy always supported Matrix and the war gaming genre.
I am sorry but I will not pay 90 dollars for a game that always cost 30-40.
Hi Highpocrisy,
In 2007 didn't you post the following:
ORIGINAL: highpocrisy
Another good Matrix game with brain dead AI and ancient resolution.
...And I just blew another $50 on Commander Europe at War.
Don't any coders learn Microsoft Foundation Classes when they lean C++ these days?
It's not THAT hard to program a cple resoslution with the same art,
Now I know "ya'll" are small boutique teams but you sure have been charging big league prices for the games...
Blow $50 or
invest $79.99? Your choice.
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:11 pm
by DanOppenheim
MFC?! Oh crikey. Run!
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:27 pm
by IronDuke_slith
ORIGINAL: Adam Parker
ORIGINAL: highpocrisy
I was waiting for this game for years and I own the previous titles in the series as well as tens of other matrix games.
Now you tell me what changed in the development that warrants charging two and a half games for one other then Matrix getting greedier and greedier..
I have been spending my hard earned money on Matrix games since pretty much day one and own most of their catalog but this is just highway robbery
the way matrix treats its loyal customers who instead of turning to piracy always supported Matrix and the war gaming genre.
I am sorry but I will not pay 90 dollars for a game that always cost 30-40.
Hi Highpocrisy,
In 2007 didn't you post the following:
ORIGINAL: highpocrisy
Another good Matrix game with brain dead AI and ancient resolution.
...And I just blew another $50 on Commander Europe at War.
Don't any coders learn Microsoft Foundation Classes when they lean C++ these days?
It's not THAT hard to program a cple resoslution with the same art,
Now I know "ya'll" are small boutique teams but you sure have been charging big league prices for the games...
Blow $50 or
invest $79.99? Your choice.
Note to self. Don't get into an argument with a man who can remember and reproduce what you said three years ago in another forum......impressive.....
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:32 pm
by Tophat1815
Well now Iron Duke,with a name like highpocrisy it just kinda figured now didn't it? You get the golf-clap of the day and tip of the hat from me! [:D] Bravo Adam Parker!!!![;)]
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:34 pm
by Adam Parker
ROTF [:D]
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:36 pm
by Prince of Eckmühl
ORIGINAL: highpocrisy
I was waiting for this game for years and I own the previous titles in the series as well as tens of other matrix games.
Now you tell me what changed in the development that warrants charging two and a half games for one other then Matrix getting greedier and greedier..
I have been spending my hard earned money on Matrix games since pretty much day one and own most of their catalog but this is just highway robbery
the way matrix treats its loyal customers who instead of turning to piracy always supported Matrix and the war gaming genre.
I am sorry but I will not pay 90 dollars for a game that always cost 30-40.
That's just not right, period.
Do you drive a BMW?
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:22 pm
by highpocrisy
There's nothing wrong in wanting to be paid handsomely for ones hard work.
I'm sure that's what the dudes at Goldman Sachs said...
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:38 pm
by Perturabo
What it has to do with the game?
Also, first prove that the developers will get from that game more than average salaries of a senior software developers before making accusations about "greed".
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:21 pm
by mjk428
ORIGINAL: IronDuke
Note to self. Don't get into an argument with a man who can remember and reproduce what you said three years ago in another forum......impressive.....
Not really. The guy only has 15 posts. That quote from 3 years ago is still under his "most recent".
It is a little creepy that Adam Parker decided to investigate the OP. He should work for the government, if he doesn't already.
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:09 pm
by Adam Parker
ORIGINAL: mjk428]
It is a little creepy that Adam Parker decided to investigate the OP.
Nup, Just too many years seen of folks dissing publishers and designers without foundation.
So as Mr Tzu writes, every battle is...
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:38 pm
by Knavery
I'll tell you what's highway robbery... Given a 25 dollar ticket for a seatbelt violation and then finding there's a 75 dollar surcharge on top of that--the governors little way of telling people he's not raising taxes.
In this case, the developer and publisher can charge whatever they want. They may not sell a lot of units charging 80-90 bucks a pop, but they have the right. I'm still debating it myself, but it's probably not worth it for me as I buy a lot of Matrix titles without even playing them. But for someone that doesn't buy a lot of games, and plays the hell out of each one he/she has, it's probably well worth the price.
Personally speaking, I played WoW for 4-5 years at $14.99 a month. That's roughly 900 bucks. The 80-90 bucks doesn't sound like too much now does it? Especially if you can learn some history while you're at it. There isn't much to be gained in life by acquiring the albino mount, but learning a little history about the biggest war where all of the powers banded together to defeat a common enemy is priceless IMO.
RE: That's just not right...
Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:14 am
by BAL
ORIGINAL: Knavery
...In this case, the developer and publisher can charge whatever they want. They may not sell a lot of units charging 80-90 bucks a pop, but they have the right. I'm still debating it myself, but it's probably not worth it for me as I buy a lot of Matrix titles without even playing them. But for someone that doesn't buy a lot of games, and plays the hell out of each one he/she has, it's probably well worth the price.
Personally speaking, I played WoW for 4-5 years at $14.99 a month. That's roughly 900 bucks. The 80-90 bucks doesn't sound like too much now does it? Especially if you can learn some history while you're at it. There isn't much to be gained in life by acquiring the albino mount, but learning a little history about the biggest war where all of the powers banded together to defeat a common enemy is priceless IMO.
I'm with you Knavery. I bought both HttR & COTA and although they're pretty good games, I didn't spend mega-hours with them. BftB would have been a "nice to have" game for me but $80 is too much to spend on something that I probably would just open up occasionally. Maybe someday.
I do wish both Matrix & Panther good luck with this & hope things work out for them.