Page 1 of 1

Turn Resolution G3M Nell flies from NW corner of map

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:15 am
by Will_L
During the Turn Resolution Phases a G3M Nell group attacks and the display moves to the NW corner of the map and the flight path line extends from there to the southeast, then the game crashes out to the initial screen. Both the save and autosave file are available. Its scenario 17 and the date was May 13 played against Japanese computer.
Thanks for a great game, really enjoying it.

Edit:
Found that rebooting my system allowed me to continue the scenario without problem. Probably why it didn't occur when Ross ran the save file.

Save files...

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 6:13 am
by Erik Rutins
Please zip the save file and send it to rossm@matrixgames.com along with a brief description (like your post) of what the bug is and where to look for it. Thanks!

Regards,

- Erik

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 8:05 am
by Will_L
Okay, thanks Erik.

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:29 am
by kbullard
One more data point. I noticed the same thing on 2-3 occasions in the "Milne Bay and The Kokoda Trail" scenario. It always involved Japanese bombers flying out of Rabaul and striking ground units northwest of Port Moresby. I wasn't as efficient as WRLertola at getting a save game file, though.

It also seemed like these missions suffered inordinately high casualties (e.g., 15 of 16 aircraft destroyed by flak, alone), especially compared to nearly identical missons on previous days. Or maybe it was just bad luck...

Kurt

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:07 am
by wmtiz
Erik, the same thing has happened to me. specifically May 15th, the first night/day cycle after I made a landing at Lunga in Scenario #17. After concluding my Orders phase, the night cycle initiates, then rotating to the day cycle, near the end of the Air Phase of the day cycle, the screen will relocate NE and show a flight of 20+ G3M Nells coming from off the map from the NW corner, definitely NOT from Truk, to attack my INF unit at Lunga. I have been able to save and repeat this multiple times. I have toggled the combat animation off to no avail. I have a gave save zipped and ready to send to you if you want it. Thanks. A potentially great game, but I do not have a workaround for where I am in this scenario and therefore cannot continue and will have to go to another scenario until this can be addressed. Thanks again.

Re: Turn Resolution G3M Nell flies from NW corner of map

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:45 pm
by Howard Mitchell
Originally posted by WRLertola
During the Turn Resolution Phases a G3M Nell group attacks and the display moves to the NW corner of the map and the flight path line extends from there to the southeast, then the game crashes out to the initial screen.
I get a similar crash during ‘Four Weeks of Hell’. I’ve been playing as the Allies and on the 28 October I keep getting a Japanese strike to/from the extreme NW of the map from/to Truck (it displays too quickly to be sure which way) with a message saying they are striking Brisbane (which isn’t in the scenario). The game then immediately crashes back to the desk top. It has happened twice now – I replayed the scenario having re-installed the game, and it keels over with the same problem at the same point.

I’ve saved the game and run it several times to be sure and have downloaded DirectX 8.1, disabled Norton etc as per instructions posted elsewhere here. No problems with other scenarios.

Great game by the way, I love it! :) At least up to the 28 October anyway… ;)

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:54 am
by FirstPappy
I found this same problem about a week ago and sent in my saved game. I found the offending unit. I did this by taking each G3M or whatever it was off-line by putting it on a training mission = 0%. It ran the turn fine. On the next turn I put that unit back to it's original setting and everything ran fine after that

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:50 am
by Hartmann
Had it, too, exactly once in #17. A bomber unit seemed to come from NW (out of nowhere?) and attacked far in the SE, then a crash occurred.

Hartmann

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:43 pm
by Sonny
I had the problem also. An attack from Truk to Hex 0,0 but unlike other folks it did not crash my system. Can't remember what scenario or what turn. though. Didn't seem to affect the game.:)

Re: Re: Turn Resolution G3M Nell flies from NW corner of map

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 8:55 pm
by MarkFroio
Originally posted by Howard Mitchell


I get a similar crash during ‘Four Weeks of Hell’. I’ve been playing as the Allies and on the 28 October I keep getting a Japanese strike to/from the extreme NW of the map from/to Truck (it displays too quickly to be sure which way) with a message saying they are striking Brisbane (which isn’t in the scenario). The game then immediately crashes back to the desk top. It has happened twice now – I replayed the scenario having re-installed the game, and it keels over with the same problem at the same point.

I’ve saved the game and run it several times to be sure and have downloaded DirectX 8.1, disabled Norton etc as per instructions posted elsewhere here. No problems with other scenarios.

Great game by the way, I love it! :) At least up to the 28 October anyway… ;)

I get this exact same problem. Only has happened in this scenario. When I emailed the save to Ross he could not get the problem to repeat itself. But every time I run the save, it happens.

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:02 am
by FirstPappy
I was under the assumption that Matrix was able to duplicate the problem with my saved game but now I'm not too sure after reading the previous post. I haven't heard anything from them. Has anyone else?

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:44 pm
by Howard Mitchell
I haven't sent my saved file to Matrix, I was waiting to see if they commented here about the problem and wanted to see it.

What I did do was to toggle the game to put me as the Japanese and the Allies as AI. I then let it run with the orders the computer had given the Japanese from the previous turn, and it got through the turn with no problem. Same thing happened at a later date and I used the same trick. It works, but the AI running the Allies for that one turn did lots of things I wouldn't have done (some worse, some different, some embarrassingly better) and it is a pain having to get everything back in to position again.

I'll try an persuade my brother to load the game and run the saved turn on his PC to see if it is a hardware/operating system problem, though from what you say it sounds like it is if Matrix couldn't reproduce it.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:55 pm
by BPRE
I've experienced the same fault as Howard in scenario 4. Looks like it has to do with the fact
that although Brisbane isn't on the map there are actually 3 air units and 7 AKs/APs in Brisbane. You can find them by listing all landbased air units or all active ships.
The position of Brisbane is 0,0 (NW corner) so the AI is trying to bomb them from Truk and causes the crash. I'll send my save file to Matrix and hope they can fix it.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:57 pm
by BPRE
By toggling to Head-to-head play before executing the battles and then returning to Japanese computer I managed to workaround the problem.
I got an answer from Ross (after just 30 minutes:) ) that it's probably fixed in the patch so I'll check it after the release in case it isn't.

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:06 pm
by mdpeyrot
I've managed to fairly reliably recreate this. Whenever bombers on Rabaul are assigned a bombing mission other than naval attack, but leaving the target blank, they will often head on up to 0,0. Apparrently, 0,0 is where units not in the game yet live, so there's lots of flak there. After a couple turns of this , the air units are devastated.

Thanks...

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:42 pm
by Erik Rutins
mdpeyrot,

I'll see if I can duplicate it with your instructions. If I can duplicate it here, we can get it fixed.

Regards,

- Erik

Still happened with old save and v. 1.10

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:40 pm
by BPRE
Hi Erik,

After upgrading with the patch I tried the old save file I sent to Ross and air units at Truk still tries to bomb Brisbane at 0,0 (in scenario 4 so no Brisbane on map). This time the game didn't crash though (happened at least 4 times in same situation with v. 1.00) so I guess the patch has made some change in this area.
Let me know if you want me to send the file again.

Sure...

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:07 pm
by Erik Rutins
BPRE,

Go ahead and zip it up and send it to me with a brief description of what I'm looking for. Ross has been down with the flu for a couple of weeks and we're trying to give him a break. :)

Regards,

- Erik