Page 1 of 1

Some comments and questions about 3.0

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:38 am
by Admiral DadMan
I'm playing Rising Sun Allied AI (Obc_b file) and I must say WOW! Jeremy, is it only this scenario that is programmed to be so aggressive? I've been rocked back on my heels like never before...

There is an input error that I wanted to make you aware of: VB-7 for Wasp on line 270 was input as "12" (TBD Devastator) when it should be "10" (SBD Dauntless. I checked the OBC41 file and it was set correctly.

Are LBU's attached to India GHQ and West Coast (4th Army) NOT supposed to be moved outside their commands or are they released after a certain time like ANZAC?

Thanks to Jeremy and all who brought this about to keep the game fresh.

DadMan

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:52 am
by Nomad
also line 273 has the same problem. both lines are wrong in obc_c too.

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:19 am
by Ranger-75
The Wasp had a torpedo group, but it was TBF Avengers, not TBD Devastators. Its maximum aircraft capacity was almost as great as the Yorktown class' (84 max - works out to 36 F4F, 36 SBD, 12 TBF) It picked up the group VT-7 in August, 1942 while transiting from the atlantic to the Pacific. since the ship already had a full pair of 36 plane fighter and 36 plane scout / bombing squadrons, there should be no 12 plane SBD group in the carrier's air groups. Soon after, it was lost to a submarine torpedo strike:(

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:14 am
by Jeremy Pritchard
Thanks guys!

Re: Some comments and questions about 3.0

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:30 am
by Admiral DadMan
Originally posted by Admiral DadMan
There is an input error that I wanted to make you aware of: VB-7 for Wasp on line 270 was input as "12" (TBD Devastator) when it should be "10" (SBD Dauntless. I checked the OBC41 file and it was set correctly.
I should have been more clear in my post. The plane type was in error, giving her F4F's, and two a/g of Torpedo planes, TBD's, and TBF's. I wanted to convey that the TBD (plane type 12) needed to be changed to SBD (plane type 10). I was not addressing the quantity.

Something else funny I noticed. The "Rising Sun" Allied AI scenario said it was supposed to start in July 41, but my first turn came up on 14 Dec 41. Any thoughts?

One other thing, 2 Aussie Adms (Crutchley and Crace I believe) are now over to USN from RAN. Was that intentional?

Bless you for adding an RN Carrier Adm to the lineup.

DadMan

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:48 am
by Nomad
Matrix guys, love the new map and OOB for PacWar 3.0.

in at least the obc41 OOB the VC2(?) had a pool of 150 but doesn't appear until sometime in 44. not a real problem, but if you don't know it drives you crazy trying to figure out how to get them onto the map!!! lol

3.0 Rocks

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:24 am
by chanman
I have been playing PW for a long time. The IJN is definitely friskier in 3.0 than previously. I play Allies with max help Japanese to give the AI a break and can see the efforts Jeremy and the rest have put into this release.

The IJN no longer seems to go to sleep in early 1942 like in previous versions. The oil reserve stays above 10k, so the Combined Fleet is still on the prowl.

I have never had to recapture Australian bases from the AI, til now. Excellent. The base at Moulmein might have been a mistake though, the IJA doesn't cover its backdoors real well and right now there are four IJA divisions rotting in Rangoon while I have recaptured all the Malay peninsula except Singapore (one really nasty IJA division in there too much for the IND divisions). With the old map, this would have been harder to do as Bankok was the next base down from Rangoon and was really not a good idea to invade directly from the Andaman Islands.

The AI is still a little slow to take the Solomons. I understand the reasoning behind the airbase values there (the AI failure to aggressively advance the engineers), but ComSoPac was able to sneak a Marine Defense Battalion in supported by some Marine air before the AI got its act together.

Combat is seemingly much better.

Still a couple of glitches, but I understand most of the reasoning behind them.

This game still rocks. Great job guys.

Chanman

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:37 pm
by Sardaukar
Heck..I had to recapture Aussie base after Japanese invasion..and AI has twice tried to invade Trincomale during 1942 :). And this is with "Max Help Allied"...heh.

Cheers,

M.S.

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:04 am
by chanman
ok, so the ai still isn't all that bright. I know from sigint where the IJN wanted to go (efate), had tasked my tf's to go to Santa Cruz Is. (under IJA control). The AI sends his carrier tf's right next to Numea, ComSoPac HQ where all the carriers are based from. So, before my tf's sortie to Santa Cruz Is., they wipe 4CV's and 4CVL's out for the loss of a CA and a CL. I was being pretty defensive up to that point, but as I now outnumber IJN in CV's 6 to 4, I am getting a little more adventurous.

Still, great game.

Chanman