Page 1 of 3

The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:01 am
by Cpt Rio
I dont have the game yet, but you guys keep saying that this game is like Steel Panthers "LIGHT"......

My question: Can this game be modded to be as close to SP as possible?

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:04 am
by junk2drive
No

It's 3D with squares. Abstract troops, step losses.

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:21 am
by junk2drive
Here's some more

No command structure. No companies or HQs or Lt or Sgt.

No FOs, you just click for CAS or OBA when it is ready.

No ammo dumps, you get refilled every turn and unused ammo gets added to op-fire.

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:25 am
by jomni
For me the hardest part about molding this fame is that you need 3D models for additional units.

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:08 am
by IainMcNeil
Yes it can. You can do anything other than add the hexes. You can make damage applied in any way you like. Basically the engine allows you to pretty much any turn based tile based game you can think of.

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:23 am
by LarryP
ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Yes it can. You can do anything other than add the hexes. You can make damage applied in any way you like. Basically the engine allows you to pretty much any turn based tile based game you can think of.

Now that's impressive! [:)]

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:00 pm
by junk2drive
ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Yes it can. You can do anything other than add the hexes. You can make damage applied in any way you like. Basically the engine allows you to pretty much any turn based tile based game you can think of.

Does this mean no expansions?

Can you add Commanders with effects on morale, accuracy, vision, etc?

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:08 pm
by Cpt Rio
ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Yes it can. You can do anything other than add the hexes. You can make damage applied in any way you like. Basically the engine allows you to pretty much any turn based tile based game you can think of.

Great!

Now would you excuse me.....I'll start praying for some real talented guys to make a Steel Panthers mod for this game [&o]

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:26 pm
by IainMcNeil
Yes commanders can be added. The entire engine is scripted so anything you can think of can be added.

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:55 pm
by junk2drive
Wow Iain, I hope someone is up to the task
ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Yes it can. You can do anything other than add the hexes. You can make damage applied in any way you like. Basically the engine allows you to pretty much any turn based tile based game you can think of.

(copied from other threads/posts)

We only have live and dead states by design but adding in damaged states such as immobilised, weapons destroyed etc could be easily done by a mod. Basically the only limit is your imagination - and time :)

Yes ammo could be easily added as could fuel, ammo dumps, supply units, fuel trucks. You could create a factory unit that could build new units. You could have resource collection. We choose not to do these things because of the design we wanted to create but all this could be done by modders without needing a single line of code added. This is what we designed the engine for - to let you mod it to be anything you want.


Xcom is the inspiration for the gameplay system we have set up. It could easily be modded with a bit of sci-fi art t do that :)

Yes commanders can be added. The entire engine is scripted so anything you can think of can be added.

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:24 pm
by rich12545
Couple questions....

1.  How easy would it be to mod the Pacific Theater?

2.  What scale can be modded?  Can you mod down to individual soldiers and play infantry only?

3.  How good is the AI?

4.  What resolutions?  Does it have a native 1280x1024 for example?

5.  Will there be a demo?

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:33 pm
by PipFromSlitherine
1 - fairly involved as you would need to create assets for all the Japanese etc units
2 - There is no fixed scale really - if you wanted to have single man units you could I
3 - Currently it will come get you, stay out of your lines of fire, and other stuff. But like everything else, the AI runs from a script which can be customised as you desire
4 - Works in all resolutions
5 - A demo is in the works, but it takes quite a lot of work to make a demo that we are happy with

Cheers

Pip

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:39 pm
by junk2drive
The AI kicks my butt a lot. Seems good at holding fire and surprising you. But it can be suckered in to traps.

I haven't seen any 3D model making info yet. You could however mod the graphics and substitute Italian or German hardware for Japan.

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:09 pm
by Rosseau
This really is a fun game, fellas. And in all humility, I have everything Matrix has sold.

I was unlucky to have a DirectX problem that nixed the game editor, and Pip issued a patch in a few hours.

I love SP a la MBT. But the game is so much work sometimes and the resolution phase so long.

In BA, I have never used the save-game key. I just can't stop until I finish the scenario I'm playing.

Also, there are almost 100 attributes for each unit--all of which can be changed by modding one CSV file. And that's just the very beginning.

So it's not as light-weight as it appears. And priced very fairly, I might add.

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:19 pm
by LarryP
ORIGINAL: rosseau

This really is a fun game, fellas. And in all humility, I have everything Matrix has sold.

I was unlucky to have a DirectX problem that nixed the game editor, and Pip issued a patch in a few hours.

I love SP a la MBT. But the game is so much work sometimes and the resolution phase so long.

In BA, I have never used the save-game key. I just can't stop until I finish the scenario I'm playing.

Also, there are almost 100 attributes for each unit--all of which can be changed by modding one CSV file. And that's just the very beginning.

So it's not as light-weight as it appears. And priced very fairly, I might add.

This helps, thank you sir. [;)]

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:01 pm
by Pford
A poster in the Wargamer forum brought up a possible issue with the armour depiction. Apparently, the player can advance a tank from a concealed position, unleash a couple of shots on an enemy tank, and retreat back to cover without fear of opportunity fire. He called it the "armoured vehicle shuffle" and finds it gamey. Or is this a misapprehension?

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:11 pm
by IainMcNeil
There is opportunity fire. It is a core part of the system.

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:35 pm
by PipFromSlitherine
The opportunity fire logic attempts to preserve shots when there is very little chance of doing any damage (or indeed hitting the target). It might be that in MP the opportunity fire needs to be a little more keen to open up, even at range.

Cheers

Pip

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:11 am
by Great_Ajax
It might be that I am not preserving enough shots so that Opfire doesn't come into play. My opponent is hiding his tanks and then bringing them all in one at a time, popping off two shots and then moving back into hiding again. I have no choice but to sit back and take these pot shots as he vastly outnumbers my number of tanks (I'm the Germans) and if I hunt them down into these cubby hiding holes (which is what he wants), he will have my tanks at close range and at good angles. My advantages at better firepower and range are negated by having to go hunt these guys down.

Trey
ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

The opportunity fire logic attempts to preserve shots when there is very little chance of doing any damage (or indeed hitting the target). It might be that in MP the opportunity fire needs to be a little more keen to open up, even at range.

Cheers

Pip

RE: The truth about Steel Panthers "Light"

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:32 am
by sabre1
El Hefe,

I ran into the "exact" same problem. I guess that is what happened to the Germans in real life. They were overwhelmed by superior numbers.