Page 1 of 3
What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:16 pm
by gargoil
I like them, but gee, I thought they would be a niche thing. So many people have them they look like some official badge that you must aquire to be a member of the WitP:AE community.
Worse one yet goes to Chickenboy - Tropical Disease Fanboy [X(][:-][:D]
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:50 pm
by Grfin Zeppelin
I was at first sceptical too for various reasons but then I thought they give this forum a nice touch.
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:00 pm
by vettim89
ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin
I was at first sceptical too for various reasons but then I thought they give this forum a nice touch.
That may be true but the winner hands down is......................
Large Slow Target
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:49 pm
by Kubel
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:53 pm
by USSAmerica
The term "fanboy" apparently started out as a derogatory word for folks who defended one side or the other. It became adopted as a badge of honor, and then seems to have spread like wildfire. I, too enjoy them. [:)]
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:00 pm
by thegreatwent
They are the way we express our individuality in a uniform fashion[:)]
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:06 pm
by TOMLABEL
ORIGINAL: thegreatwent
They are the way we express our individuality in a uniform fashion[:)]
DO WHAT??????[:D]
TOMLABEL
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:32 am
by Mynok
ORIGINAL: Kubel


I think they are all great. My personal favorites is MYNOCK's.
Whoa! I have a sig fan? [:D]
I credit the great Dixie for my sig. He's far more adept in Photoshop than I.
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:36 am
by Mynok
ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL
ORIGINAL: thegreatwent
They are the way we express our individuality in a uniform fashion[:)]
DO WHAT??????[:D]
TOMLABEL
Nekkid is a uniform of sorts. Although yours are more of the duoform variety. [:'(]
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:39 am
by Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Gargoil
I like them, but gee, I thought they would be a niche thing. So many people have them they look like some official badge that you must aquire to be a member of the WitP:AE community.
Worse one yet goes to Chickenboy - Tropical Disease Fanboy [X(][:-][:D]
Ahem....
[:'(]
My fanboyism of tropical diseases comes in several parts:
I'm a medical professional (vet). I appreciate a good ol' fashioned infectious disease when I see it. The tropics have some very unusual and extremely nasty ones that one doesn't find elsewhere. Not only did men have to live side by side with these nasties, but they had to FIGHT a war at the same time! What a rotten (literally) place to fight a war!
The major disabler of land units in the pacific wasn't enemy action, but tropical diseases-particularly malaria. This major effect on the tempo of land combat must be maintained for anything claiming to be a game / simulation of the PTO. Ignore malaria? Your game is immediately other-worldly and unrealistic.
The initial iterations of AE had malaria disabled. There were some mutterings on the boards early on about keeping it that way, because having malarial effects was annoyingly realistic, I guess. I chose to make my suggestion (up with malaria!) very clearly obvious to all when I posted.
DivePac88 did a beautiful job with some images that I sent him. He even put in some of his own. Then he designed both my avatar and siggy. What a bloke! How could I say no?
Lastly, I've always appreciated folks with 'off-center' senses of humor. Mike's "Sir Robin Fanboy" is one such. A fan of running away and wetting one's armor? However, all things considered, I agree with consensus re: LST's siggy. Pretty hard to beat.
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:42 am
by John 3rd
I am a fanboy for ANYONE who can use photoshop and create these beauties. Alas---I have NOOOOO talent in this area.
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:47 am
by Historiker
ORIGINAL: vettim89
ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin
I was at first sceptical too for various reasons but then I thought they give this forum a nice touch.
That may be true but the winner hands down is......................
Large Slow Target
#No doubt about that!
Though I like USS Amercia's, too
Brave Sir Robin ran away... No!
Bravely ran away, away...
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:04 am
by Jonathan Pollard
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Gargoil
I like them, but gee, I thought they would be a niche thing. So many people have them they look like some official badge that you must aquire to be a member of the WitP:AE community.
Worse one yet goes to Chickenboy - Tropical Disease Fanboy [X(][:-][:D]
Ahem....
Here's one for you Chickenboy, the Private Snafu vs. Malaria Mike episode. [:D]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK6NrbL6sLY
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:22 am
by Sheytan
Some of them are very very thought provoking like Chickenboy and the Tropical disease issue [:D]
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:33 pm
by Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Sheytan
Some of them are very very thought provoking like Chickenboy and the Tropical disease issue [:D]
Or Sheytan's handle-IIRC, he was showing a Turkish colleague of his some manuevering tricks with WiTP-how to strike his opponent. His Turkish friend described him as a "Sheytan" or Devil. Furthermore, in talking with some Arab colleagues of mine, "Sheytan" can mean 'deviously clever'-like a fox. What a great descriptor!
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:39 pm
by Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Jonathan Pollard
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Gargoil
I like them, but gee, I thought they would be a niche thing. So many people have them they look like some official badge that you must aquire to be a member of the WitP:AE community.
Worse one yet goes to Chickenboy - Tropical Disease Fanboy [X(][:-][:D]
Ahem....
Here's one for you Chickenboy, the Private Snafu vs. Malaria Mike episode. [:D]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK6NrbL6sLY
Outstanding! Thanks for the link! [:D]
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:28 pm
by Misconduct
ORIGINAL: USS America
The term "fanboy" apparently started out as a derogatory word for folks who defended one side or the other. It became adopted as a badge of honor, and then seems to have spread like wildfire. I, too enjoy them. [:)]
This is exactly how I remember fan boys, used to be derogatory to make fun of someones play style, now a days it represents your side, clearly Tom 3rd is NOT an allies fan boy.
I however am simply the Hypno toad fan boy. Dont ask, or simply youtube hypno toad

RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:46 pm
by Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Misconduct
ORIGINAL: USS America
The term "fanboy" apparently started out as a derogatory word for folks who defended one side or the other. It became adopted as a badge of honor, and then seems to have spread like wildfire. I, too enjoy them. [:)]
This is exactly how I remember fan boys, used to be derogatory to make fun of someones play style, now a days it represents your side, clearly Tom 3rd is NOT an allies fan boy.
I however am simply the Hypno toad fan boy. Dont ask, or simply youtube hypno toad
...all...glory...to...the...hypnotoad....[&o]
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:46 pm
by Xxzard
I suppose that means my sig shows I am a fanboy for hopeless but brave stands.
Oh wait, that's correct![8D]
RE: What is it with these Fanboy Sigs?
Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:16 am
by DrewMatrix
Anyone can win with Mustangs and Corsairs. I'm a fan of clunky airplanes. The Roman Legionaires used to train with triple weighted weapons and Brewster Buffaloes so they would be really really good when the real thing came.
(That and of old episodes of Rags the Ragtime Tiger and Crusader Rabbit)