Page 1 of 1
USS Texas Photo
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:58 pm
by witpqs
From
http://www.strategypage.com/military_photos/2010082903952.aspx
"Posted 8/29/2010
LA PORTE, Texas (Aug. 21, 2010) The museum battleship USS Texas is being restored to her 1945 condition. The former USS Texas (BB 35) was commissioned March 12, 1914 and decommissioned April 21, 1948. The battleship saw action in World War I and World War II. Compartments of this museum ship have been featured in several Hollywood movies including "Pearl Harbor" and "Flags of Our Fathers." (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Kimberly R. Stephens)"

RE: USS Texas Photo
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:20 pm
by Shark7
It's about an 8 hour drive from my home...someday I plan to go visit the ship myself. It's definitely a piece of living history.
RE: USS Texas Photo
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:30 pm
by Rebel Yell
I live just north of Houston, and have been to see her several times. The old girl needs work, and I'm glad they are finally getting that underway. She is a treasure.
RE: USS Texas Photo
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:30 pm
by bspeer
Somewhere I have a picture of this beauty give to me by a member of the WWII crew. I will see if I can find it.
RE: USS Texas Photo
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:41 pm
by Chickenboy
Nice picture. Thanks for sharing.
RE: USS Texas Photo
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:21 pm
by morganbj
I live just half an hour away and haven't been there in years. What a putz. [:(]
RE: USS Texas Photo
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:27 pm
by Nikademus
I've got a mountain of photos of her from a visit in 1999. Need to get em scanned. (ah the days before digital cameras were as common as flash drives.)
They need to get her out of the water and into a permanent dry dock. They tried resting her on a mud seabed....that didn't work. (hull started rotting)....now she's been afloat for 10+ years (better....but still water will take it's toll)....when i visited in 99 she had partial flooding already occuring in the lower levels that i noted.
RE: USS Texas Photo
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:51 pm
by Mundy
The temptation is very great to go see her next month, when I see my son at his USAF BMT graduation next month. It's a bit out of the way, though, and we're already making the drive from WI.
[:(]
M-
RE: USS Texas Photo
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:47 pm
by Cribtop
Saahh-lute!
She's a beauty with an interesting combat history, named for the greatest nation, errr, state, on Earth.
RE: USS Texas Photo
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:10 pm
by anarchyintheuk
All true. She can serve as the flagship for our invasion of LA.
RE: USS Texas Photo
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:30 pm
by Nikademus
just don't try firing her main guns!