Page 1 of 1

DW on a Netbook?

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:27 pm
by DMan777
I'm heading out as a passenger on a long drive this weekend and I'm contemplating taking my daughter's netbook with me. Has anyone tried DW on a netbook? I'm curious about the performance and if the 1024x600 resolution is a deal-breaker. I'm talking about a standard Asus, Atom-based netbook here with 2GB of RAM.

Thanks

RE: DW on a Netbook?

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:30 pm
by lordxorn
I think it is a deal breaker, because it barely runs on my regular laptop.

RE: DW on a Netbook?

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:12 pm
by the1sean
I run DW on my Asus laptop exclusively, but I gave 6 gigs of RAM, 2.5 Ghz Duo Core, and GeForce 260m (1 Gig) graphics card. If you play a smaller galaxy it might run well.

RE: DW on a Netbook?

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:27 pm
by lordxorn
But we are talking about a netbook here, netbooks can barely run the OS, lol.

RE: DW on a Netbook?

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:21 pm
by Hertston
Minimum resolution is 1024 x 768, so I'm afraid it's a 'no'.  I doubt a netbook could handle it performance-wise either.  It's hard to tell unless you actually try with a netbook, at least with my mine, but I've found the following titles to be just fine;

Dominions 3
WW2: Time of Wrath
TOAW
Harpoon CE
HPS Squad Battles, ACW, PzC and Modern Battles
Field of Glory
Battle for Wesnoth
Planescape Torment

With most other Matrix titles I have, the problem is minimum resolution rather than anything else.  I was surprised to find the Campaign Series wouldn't run, in view of it's vintage.  Obviously, with anything too graphics intensive, forget it.
    

RE: DW on a Netbook?

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:56 pm
by DMan777
Well, I gave it a shot and results were not favorable.  Basically, the netbook has to be set to a desktop of 10x7 which means it pans vertically as the screen edge is bumped.  This makes for tricky interaction when the map also pans as the screen is bumped.  Add to that sluggish performance on a tiny galaxy and it makes it playable, but not enjoyably so.

But now we know, right?

RE: DW on a Netbook?

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:57 pm
by fabio80mi
With my netbook (Acer Aspire 1810TZ) it runs fine.
However its kind of a powerhouse, for a netbook.
Intel SU4100 processor, 2gb ram, Intel GMA4500MHUD and 1368*768