Page 1 of 1

Divisions & Brigades

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:19 pm
by shall59
A couple of questions about brigades and divisions I'd like to know before I need to know the answer.

Besides being able to put a brigade into reserve mode, is there any advantage or disadvantage of attacking with three brigades rather than a division (all else being equal)? Any difference when landing on an island?

Does the game track brigades even when combined in their division? As example, if I have a brigade get shot up and is at say, 70% strength, and then I combine it back into it's division with its' two brother brigades which are at 100% strength, I assume the division will be at about 90% strength. If I break up the division a turn or two later, do I have three brigades at about 90% strength, or do I still have one shot up brigade and two full strength brigades?

RE: Divisions & Brigades

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:25 pm
by Mike Solli
ORIGINAL: shall59

A couple of questions about brigades and divisions I'd like to know before I need to know the answer.

Besides being able to put a brigade into reserve mode, is there any advantage or disadvantage of attacking with three brigades rather than a division (all else being equal)? Any difference when landing on an island?

I think a division has more staying power compared to it's component brigades. If I'm attacking, I'll keep the division together and split it up later if I need to.

Now, early in the game when you have units split into battalions etc., I like to keep them that way. It is much more versatile. I did find that it was great for garrison duty but the small units sometimes got chewed up pretty easily. As the Japanese player, I had a few battalion sized units almost destroyed in the Philippines. I ended up combining just about all the small detachments there.
ORIGINAL: shall59
Does the game track brigades even when combined in their division? As example, if I have a brigade get shot up and is at say, 70% strength, and then I combine it back into it's division with its' two brother brigades which are at 100% strength, I assume the division will be at about 90% strength. If I break up the division a turn or two later, do I have three brigades at about 90% strength, or do I still have one shot up brigade and two full strength brigades?

According to your circumstances, if you recombine, everything is averaged. If the average is 90%, then when you split it back out, each brigade is 90%.

RE: Divisions & Brigades

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:35 pm
by ChickenOfTheSea
ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: shall59

A couple of questions about brigades and divisions I'd like to know before I need to know the answer.

Besides being able to put a brigade into reserve mode, is there any advantage or disadvantage of attacking with three brigades rather than a division (all else being equal)? Any difference when landing on an island?

I think a division has more staying power compared to it's component brigades. If I'm attacking, I'll keep the division together and split it up later if I need to.

Now, early in the game when you have units split into battalions etc., I like to keep them that way. It is much more versatile. I did find that it was great for garrison duty but the small units sometimes got chewed up pretty easily. As the Japanese player, I had a few battalion sized units almost destroyed in the Philippines. I ended up combining just about all the small detachments there.
ORIGINAL: shall59
Does the game track brigades even when combined in their division? As example, if I have a brigade get shot up and is at say, 70% strength, and then I combine it back into it's division with its' two brother brigades which are at 100% strength, I assume the division will be at about 90% strength. If I break up the division a turn or two later, do I have three brigades at about 90% strength, or do I still have one shot up brigade and two full strength brigades?

According to your circumstances, if you recombine, everything is averaged. If the average is 90%, then when you split it back out, each brigade is 90%.

When brigades are combined into divisions you will sometimes get new division level assets in the TOE. Once formed into divisions a unit cannot be broken down into brigades. Instead you will get, for example, and A B and C component which are simply 1/3 of a division, not the brigades, regiments, or battalions you combined.

RE: Divisions & Brigades

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:57 pm
by topeverest
Also, as a division you have one commander to deal with.

RE: Divisions & Brigades

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:17 pm
by Shark7
ORIGINAL: topeverest

Also, as a division you have one commander to deal with.

So you only have 1 idiot in charge instead of 3. [:D]

Some of the officers have stats that are...lacking...to say the least. [:(]

RE: Divisions & Brigades

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:56 pm
by Stvitus2002
On a related subject...What are the criteria for reforming an "A,B,C," unit into
a division? I broke the 41'st INF into it's A,B,C components to ship them
individually to PM. Of course, when i thought that the last part of "C" was
delivered ,what do i find?.... 14 motorized support squads were somehow left
behind in townsville. I formed up a mini-tf of 2 AKL's with an AM as escort &
sent the loafers to PM. One of the AKL's was sunk by air attack, the other arrived
& unloaded the loafers. Now i cannot recombine the A,B,C units into the division.
Clicking the "unit organization" shows no other fragments. Suggestions?



WO 0/0

RE: Divisions & Brigades

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:06 pm
by anarchyintheuk
Make sure the ToE's match up exactly. For example if A has 2lber at guns and B has 6lbers at guns, you can't recombine the division.

RE: Divisions & Brigades

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:32 pm
by jrcar
In our game against Nik and Joe as Allies we have kept the units generaly as they arrived, in the Regt/Bde elements. The main reason is flexibility. It allows more tailored assaults to take place, and areas like Burma to create operational manouvre groups to flank the enemy, rather than a bigger hammer.

Many times in the CENTPAC/SOPAC area 1 regiment isn't enough, but a Div is two much. Doing two Regt assualts, with a third in reserve allows for the "subsequent objective" and to seize opportunities that arrise.

It also provides a bit of deception, is that 6 Bdes in a stack, 3 Div 3 Bde or 6 Div... all are posible and therefore need to be considered.

For the Japanese, regiments dug in will generally hold an "average" Allied div (esp UK/Ind) ones long enough for reinforcements to move in... and many of the islands a Regiment is the max they can hold anyway.

Cheers

Rob

RE: Divisions & Brigades

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:01 pm
by Amoral
I think it is unfortunate that an LCU always breaks into three equal parts. A very nice feature would be to be able to define in the editor what a unit breaks down into. The fact that combining a division means you lose the ability field your Engineers, Arty and Recon as separate regiments is too bad.

Something for the next version, I hope!

RE: Divisions & Brigades

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:41 pm
by jomni
Well you can employ real life tactics when you split the division.
Two regiments on assault and one regiment on reserve.
Then you keep rotating a day or two.  But It's too much micromanagement. ;)
But if we stack several divisions then this might not be necessary.

RE: Divisions & Brigades

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:20 am
by Shark7
ORIGINAL: jomni

Well you can employ real life tactics when you split the division.
Two regiments on assault and one regiment on reserve.
Then you keep rotating a day or two.  But It's too much micromanagement. ;)
But if we stack several divisions then this might not be necessary.

Most battles end up with huge stacks anyway, particularly in the Burma-China area. PBEM is much worse than AI about this, because most players are smart enough to pick a line to hold and fall back to it, rather than get taken apart piecemeal.

RE: Divisions & Brigades

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:19 am
by topeverest
Shark,

Agree, this is mainly an air and naval simulation.