Page 1 of 1
Couldn't print manual at Kinko's
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:54 am
by Rick Bradley
He tried for quite a while. It would print about the first ten pages and that was it. He tought the file was corrupted. I copied it right from my install directory. I had my game CD but we couldn't find it on there so is it just created with the install? I couldn't talk him into installing it.
We could view the manual fine. I did notice that when he opened it he was using version 4.0 of the reader. I pointed that out to him. Anyway about 3 hours wasted today on a trip into Indianapolis as the grass continues to grow in my yard.
Ack.
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:03 am
by Erik Rutins
Rick,
Sorry for the frustration, but the manual needs Acrobat 5.0, which the person at Kinko's can download free or install from the UV CD. 4.0 is definitely out of date at this point. Also, make sure he has it set to Print as Image so that the watermark is a faint background rather than darker.
Regards,
- Erik
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:47 am
by Rick Bradley
Erik
Thanks. I told him I thought I was opening it with 5.0 at home but he said it wouldn't make any difference. I figured he was wrong. I'm up to page 45 on my little Z22, cheap cartridge refill kit from Sam's Club work fine. That will get me going. Thanks again.
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:58 pm
by AlvinS
Erik
Tell him that it does make a difference. I tried to print the manual using version 4 and it would not print past page 27. I installed 5.0 and it printed just fine.
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:18 pm
by bradfordkay
How much did he want for the job? Here in Olympia they asked $0.89/page! I let my ancient HP deskjet spend over 8 hours printing the manual...
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:53 pm
by Rick Bradley
I think they said 16 cents for double sided pages and then so much to put it together. She couldn't take the time to give me a firm price. She said she was just going to print it. So I said OK I just won't buy it if it is too much. Problem with that is I probably would have. I had a manual for Sub Command printed up, 200+ pages and I can't remember if I paid 15 or 30 dollars for it. It looked nice, too bad I wasted it on such a pitiful game.
Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:31 pm
by dgaad
If he (the clerk) actually knew for a fact whether it would make a difference or not, he would, paradoxically, no longer be a clerk at Kinkos.
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:11 am
by wmtiz
Originally posted by dgaad
If he (the clerk) actually knew for a fact whether it would make a difference or not, he would, paradoxically, no longer be a clerk at Kinkos.
Dgaad, you da Man!! Keep on tellin' it like it is

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:43 am
by bradfordkay
Hmmm.... I managed to print mine on the 4.0 Acrobat reader. I just reopened the manual to see which version reader was opening it and it is my old 4.0 version of the reader rather than the 5.0 version you gave us with the game (which is installed inside the UV folder, it apparently just isn't being used by my computer).
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:31 am
by Marc von Martial
Originally posted by bradfordkay
Hmmm.... I managed to print mine on the 4.0 Acrobat reader. I just reopened the manual to see which version reader was opening it and it is my old 4.0 version of the reader rather than the 5.0 version you gave us with the game (which is installed inside the UV folder, it apparently just isn't being used by my computer).
This "could" actually work since you also installed 5.0. Most of the crucial stuff that comes with 5.0 goes to the Adobe Shared Programms folder. So I assume 4.0 will just pick the updated 5.0 profiles.