Page 1 of 1

More v1.06i questions

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:51 pm
by hbrsvl
Hi-Here goes-

1. What is proper screen resolution setting? At the installed setting, my laptop screen figures are very,very small. Suggestions, anyone? My desktop computer figures are small, but OK.

2. Is v1.06i Allied ASW going to be more "effective" than g? By effective I mean can the Allies get more kills earlier.

3. Speaking of ASW, does having more than one ASW TF in a hex help or hinder?

That's it for now.

Thanks, Hugh Browne


RE: More v1.06i questions

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:49 pm
by LoBaron
1) Resolution same as your laptops resolution Id say.

2) No, except for 2 small things: Surface radar works again, so this means there is a chance that radar equipped ASW could spot the subs more easily,
and I didn´t go through the details of the DB change yet but maybe one or the other sub hunters got more ammunition now, not sure though.

3) Depends on your forces assigned. If you have 6 ships its better to split them 3/3 than 4/2 in case you got 2 flags available.
It also depends if you want to set your ASW with 2 different reaciton ranges. With 4 ships you could set range 2 and range 4 for example.
The advantage of 1 fleet is you only need one good commander but as long as thats the same as the flagship captain that doesnt really matter
in case they are both good.

RE: More v1.06i questions

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:14 pm
by castor troy
ORIGINAL: LoBaron

1) Resolution same as your laptops resolution Id say.

2) No, except for 2 small things: Surface radar works again, so this means there is a chance that radar equipped ASW could spot the subs more easily,
and I didn´t go through the details of the DB change yet but maybe one or the other sub hunters got more ammunition now, not sure though.

3) Depends on your forces assigned. If you have 6 ships its better to split them 3/3 than 4/2 in case you got 2 flags available.
It also depends if you want to set your ASW with 2 different reaciton ranges. With 4 ships you could set range 2 and range 4 for example.
The advantage of 1 fleet is you only need one good commander but as long as thats the same as the flagship captain that doesnt really matter
in case they are both good.


ship based radar always worked, it was LAND BASED radar that didn´t work.

RE: More v1.06i questions

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:38 pm
by hbrsvl
LoBaron-Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. Re resolution settings, the settings on my laptop give me, as I said, very,very small icons. They are so small I have a problem seeing them for long periods of time-i.e. the period I usually play, which can be hours at a time. (OK, I'm 78, so the eyes aren't what they used to be.)

So, what I'm asking is what resolution setting can I go to, to make icons larger?

Thanks, HB

RE: More v1.06i questions

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:15 pm
by LoBaron
Did you try the original game resolution? 1024x768?

Problem is most TFT´s have a so called native resolution for which it is designed, using other resolution can result in blurries.
If 1024x768 doesn´t do the trick try the following:

1152x768
1280x1024
1400x1050
1600x1200

Everything above is probably too high for your display.
Select the resolution where the display is most clear with dacent symbol size.

Ah in case you tried that: Don´t use windowed mode because then the symbols wont get larger on lower resolutions.

RE: More v1.06i questions

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:42 pm
by hbrsvl
LoBaron-Again, many thanks. I'll try them.

However, how do I tell if I'm in the windowed mode or not? Where do I go to look at that?

Thanks again, HB

RE: More v1.06i questions

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:54 pm
by LoBaron
If you didn´t add a "-w" to the .exe you are fine.

As an orientation my .exe enhancement currently looks like this:

"D:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -SingleCpuOrders -cpu4 -px1920 -py1080

Basically its set for witp only using 1 of my 4 CPU´s (preferredly CPU4) and runs at 1920x1080 resolution.

For your laptop, if its an old one, something like -pxXXXX -pyYYYY should be sufficient. (XXXX/YYYY being the resolution you want to run the game at)

Hope this helps.

RE: More v1.06i questions

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:48 am
by bigred
(OK, I'm 78, so the eyes aren't what they used to be.)

We are all getting older. Sorry I am not very computer literate. Would it be possible in future beginning game preferences would have a toggle switch for screen size settings?

RE: More v1.06i questions

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:31 am
by pmath
To your other question, my experience is multiple ASW TFs patrolling together in the same hex is much more effective than one. I haven't really tried more than 2 TFs unless I have less than 4 ships in one. I have experienced much better results.

RE: More v1.06i questions

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:09 pm
by John Lansford
I have found that you get better results with 2 two-ship ASW TF's in the same hex than if you have 1 4-ship ASW TF.  Of course, if they are some of the little ASW ships the USN pressed into service early on, the sub may decide to surface and shoot them up if there's only two ships in the TF...

RE: More v1.06i questions

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:10 pm
by hbrsvl
Hi-Next installment:

1. In this v are AOs and TKs as hard to come by for the Allies as in privious v's?

2. I admit I haven't checked, but in this v is respawn on?

Thanks, Hugh Browne

RE: More v1.06i questions

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:41 pm
by ckk
1 & 2 Same as previous version(s)

RE: More v1.06i questions

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:08 pm
by hbrsvl
ckk-Thanks, just checking. HB