Page 1 of 1
A suggestion
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:00 pm
by Roger Neilson II
Been playing since this came out, and previously ages on WITP and this is monster and I am still learning loads. Part of the problem is the hseer complexity and trying to assimilate all of it.
So, I wondered, why not a series of threads from the point of view of one of the areas of service.
Example.
Congratulations you have now taken command of a submarine, here is the field manual to help you to do as well as possible.
1......
2.........
etc etc.
By focussing on one arm of service it pulls together all the 'bits' and also would allow an easy way for a player to check when they have a problem with one aspect of the game play. Could be a separate Wiki, but I tend to think that forum placement is important.
Roger
RE: A suggestion
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:05 pm
by LoBaron
I think this link already shows a good collection:
FAQ / Info for Newb's
The title may be misleading but there is always a nice find in case you don´t know something.
RE: A suggestion
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:07 pm
by Roger Neilson II
Yes there's loads of stuff there, but its written from a different perspective, much more just a pulling together of the relevant rules. I was thinking more of the passing on of wisdom.
Roger
RE: A suggestion
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:14 pm
by vonSchnitter
LoBe,
referring RN to a newby collection of threads is a little besides the point. My bet is he can teach you some.
And me.
I did not get his - but you are off for sure
RE: A suggestion
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:15 pm
by LoBaron
Nice idea but this is be a bit hard considering the fact that a topic which could even remotely resemble the rear area of wisdom
would result in a complex and ambitious 15 pager where you easily get lost.
RE: A suggestion
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:22 pm
by LoBaron
ORIGINAL: vonSchnitter
LoBe,
referring RN to a newby collection of threads is a little besides the point. My bet is he can teach you some.
And me.
I did not get his - but you are off for sure
That wasn´t meant offensive in any way. I played this game from the UV release, probably less intensive than Roger and I respect him for his expertise and
experience, but I consider myself quite ok with the game. Still I learn quite a lot of things from this thread, most of all cause it gets updated frequently.
I only misunderstood a detail in what he was suggesting so whats your problem?
RE: A suggestion
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:26 pm
by vonSchnitter
A 15 pager ?
Count me in - who is to be the judge of who lost the topic ? Just in case ?
First topic ?
"AE worth buying because patches deliver " ?
Gung Ho !!!
RE: A suggestion
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:32 pm
by Roger Neilson II
Guys I'm not offended, nor did I take any comments in any negative way. Maybe I need to explain myself better.... an example.
You are now the commander of a submarine.
We suggest you:
1. Check its vital stats:
a. how far can it patrol without needing refuelling - this will restrict where you are deployed
b. how many torpedoes it has
c. what its gun ammo is
d. What the crew's experience is
e. Does it have the ability to mine or to transport?
2. Now check where your current base is, and whether the is an alternative better base to use.
3. What's your current purpose - mining, interdiction, scouting.
4. Are you expected to sit in one place or patrol - if patrol, check the best waypoints
5. If you stay in one place check and as soon as you have been spotted, move otherwise you will get attention from enemy ASW assets
6. Do you really want to be in shallow waters - sometimes its necessary, but you are much more 'spottable' and if attacked you've got little space to dive and run.
Ok, good luck, don't come back with torpedoes unused!
I may have missed a few things, but its hardly the 15 pages..... lol.
Roger [;)]
RE: A suggestion
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:38 pm
by LoBaron
Ah ok now I get it.
That really sounds good. You mean a sort of checklist per unit type or service.
RE: A suggestion
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:43 pm
by Roger Neilson II
Exactly, each one standing as a separate thread so easy to find. So if you are particularly puzzled about one thing, you know where to look. That one didn't take me long to put together, and could be edited further if I have missed stuff. Its really whether people think its worth it.
Think of each of them as a summary of the key things that pertain to that unit or task force or activity.
Roger
RE: A suggestion
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:55 pm
by vonSchnitter
Just a quick one;
sure about AE ? How about SH3/4
RE: A suggestion
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:59 pm
by LoBaron
There was some Wiki project running some time ago, not sure if this is still active..
In fact that could be used for the collection if its still active.
Don´t remember the link though.
RE: A suggestion
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:37 pm
by Schanilec
I have a site bookmarked that might be the project your thinking of. It has some tutorial videos. Would that be it?
The one I have is WITP - AE (Home). Give it a google search.