Page 1 of 1

To patch or not to patch ... that is the question.

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:43 am
by Yamamoto
I’ve heard great things about the patch. I’ve also heard that the “retirement allowed” setting was broken in the patch, which kills bombardment and some supply missions. Also, I will have to give up most of my mine warfare operations. So--- should I patch or should I wait for the next patch?

Yamamoto

PS. Did the patch fix the problem in surface to surface combat where each side would ‘overkill’ a couple of ships while not touching the others?

To Patch or Not to Patch

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:55 am
by wmtiz
In the few surface to surface actions that I have watched after the patch installation, the shots are exchanged in a more realistic fashion, spread out among the available targets.

Having said that, it is logical if you are a surface force commander and you get into a battle with an enemy surface force, you are going to tend to concentrate fire on the strongest enemy vessel to remove it from the battle to "level the playing field". For example, if I were leading a CA/CL/DD force and ran into a enemy force with say a BB/CA/DD I would definitely make sure that any excess gun batteries were targeted on the BB if in range. The surface battles I have seen post-patch have followed similar patterns instead of every ship on one side firing on the same ship on the other side kinda stuff.

If your primary concern is the surface combat routines, go ahead and patch Admiral.

my recomendation

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:10 am
by brisd
Honorable Admiral Yamamato,

I found that with the bombardment/retirement allowed bug in the patch, ahistorical operations are occuring, affecting both the enemy and Imperial forces. The surface combat appears to be more realistic and the AI and other fixes are in place and they are all great. I currently am suspending operations till the FIX of the last FIX arrives. :rolleyes:

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:51 am
by Hartmann
I have yet to see the patch for any game which does not introduce at least one new bug. :)

As someone of the Matrix staff said so truely a few weeks ago: the goal is to fix more bugs in the patch than to introduce. :D

To be fair, this has more than succeeded, even though the new "no retirement bug" is indeed a nasty little creature - tough luck! But at least this one will surely get fixed in the next patch.

Despite this bug (and some gripes I have with my mines being all in Truk) I still like the game with the patch much better than without it, and so my advice would be: "yup, get the patch!"

Hartmann

Should you patch?

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:18 am
by mjk428
Be aware that because your TF's go brain dead when they arrive at their locations they have to be monitored closely. This is something that could really frustrate a person.

The AI has definitely gotten more creative unfortunately because it's TF's don't retire it appears dumber.

I'll probably start a new campaign when they fix the current problem. I feel I had an unfair advantage against the IJN.

Finally, if you're going to play as the IJN, consider the patch as an added challenge:)

Take Care,
mjk428

AHHA!

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:36 am
by Rob Roberson
This explains why my bombardment group lingered off shortlands in one of my PBM games... that blew me away (literally).

Rob

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:01 am
by David Heath
Guys

Mike Wood is on the Job.... and he is the best.. once we find what has caused this and fix it we will make a patch just to address this issue. Let me say I am sorry we did not catch this one..... but I promise we fix it fast.

David

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:50 am
by Sultanofsham
Originally posted by David Heath
Guys

Mike Wood is on the Job.... and he is the best.. once we find what has caused this and fix it we will make a patch just to address this issue. Let me say I am sorry we did not catch this one..... but I promise we fix it fast.

David
It happens :) The big thing is that you guys are on the job unlike so many other gaming companies.

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:55 am
by Rick Bradley
I am also very impressed at the level of support given to this game. I'm sure that if I can ever quit reading this forum and start reading the manual which I have now printed out by the time I actually start playing it will be even better.

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:22 am
by Hartmann
Originally posted by David Heath
Guys

Mike Wood is on the Job.... and he is the best.. once we find what has caused this and fix it we will make a patch just to address this issue. Let me say I am sorry we did not catch this one..... but I promise we fix it fast.

David
Hooray! :)

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:27 pm
by aoffen
Any idea when the withdrawal problem might be remedied?
Rgds
Andrew

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:49 pm
by Sonny
Originally posted by David Heath
Guys

Mike Wood is on the Job.... and he is the best.. once we find what has caused this and fix it we will make a patch just to address this issue. Let me say I am sorry we did not catch this one..... but I promise we fix it fast.

David
Well David, you can consider this boot camp for WitP.:p