Jap AG's--the ultimate ASW platform
Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:23 am
I am currently playing S-19 as the allied player, with the latest patch (just to try some stuff out while waiting for a fix.) As of 7-15-42 (three months or so) I have lost three subs to Jap barges.
All three subs had plenty of torps, but instead surfaced to engage the AG's with deck guns. There were no escorts for the AG's. All three were sunk by 25 mm AA guns. We're talking multiple penatrations and internal explosions from a 2.5 cm HE shell. I'm no expert on WWII era ordiance, but...no way. Either the 25 mm type 96 got wacky in the patch or something else is wrong.
Using AG's as patrolling sub killers is just weird. I pulled subs out from around Rabual out of fear of AG's. No problem fighting DD's but those barges...
All three subs had plenty of torps, but instead surfaced to engage the AG's with deck guns. There were no escorts for the AG's. All three were sunk by 25 mm AA guns. We're talking multiple penatrations and internal explosions from a 2.5 cm HE shell. I'm no expert on WWII era ordiance, but...no way. Either the 25 mm type 96 got wacky in the patch or something else is wrong.
Using AG's as patrolling sub killers is just weird. I pulled subs out from around Rabual out of fear of AG's. No problem fighting DD's but those barges...