Page 1 of 1

The Retreat.

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:27 pm
by Dr. Foo
Anyone read this book? I had to go to Barnes and Nobles to pick up a gift card and I thought while I was there I would pick up a book on the War in Russia, pickings were slim. I saw a book titled Ivan's War it looked interesting but I did not know the author and her credentials seemed a bit light.

Then I picked up The Retreat: Hitler's First Defeat by Michael Jones. It looks interesting and not full of dense scholarly dribble that will put me to sleep (had enough of that in grad school).

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has read it. [:)]

RE: The Retreat.

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:38 pm
by Davekhps
How crazy is this-- I just ordered this exact book off Amazon today! Guess they're pushing it hard to anyone searching for books on the Eastern Front.

BTW, I just finished the new book Battleground Prussia by Prit Buttar. Can't recommend it enough-- it's casual battle reading (think Beevor, not Glantz) but nicely researched and exceptionally well-written for the genre. Most of it is focused on the final German battles in 1944-45 in Prussia, but there's also a bit about the Nazi administration there, the "Fortress Cities" that didn't deserve the name, and most engagingly of all, the naval evacuation of German soldiers and civilians alike (featuring the deadliest ship sinkings in history). Just a brutal story, but a great book.

RE: The Retreat.

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:52 pm
by Mus
I could also do with some book recommendations. I have read "War without Garlands" which focuses heavily on the opening moves in 1941, and "Enemies at the Gates" which is about Stalingrad as part of a 3 book series on WWII I was given about different theatres. My reading on the years 1943-1945 in the east is limited.

RE: The Retreat.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:01 am
by Dr. Foo
ORIGINAL: Mus

I could also do with some book recommendations. I have read "War without Garlands" which focuses heavily on the opening moves in 1941, and "Enemies at the Gates" which is about Stalingrad as part of a 3 book series on WWII I was given about different theatres. My reading on the years 1943-1945 in the east is limited.

In the back of the manual these is a recommend reading list but I am not sure how many of those are easy to obtain. My local library is not the best in the world and many history books only come in hard cover so it can get pricey.


RE: The Retreat.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:27 am
by 76mm
Ivan's War I did not even consider military history, really it is just just a history of social issues in a military context, if that makes sense. I can't really recommend it.

RE: The Retreat.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:31 am
by Rasputitsa
ORIGINAL: Dr. Foo

Then I picked up The Retreat: Hitler's First Defeat by Michael Jones. It looks interesting and not full of dense scholarly dribble that will put me to sleep (had enough of that in grad school).

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has read it. [:)]

Just finished reading this book and found it a valuable addition to the War in East collection. It describes in graphic detail the terrible conditions that the Germans suffered and just as importantly the suffering of the Russians, especially the people.

The theme from other sources is, that Hitler's 'no retreat' order saved the Wehrmacht from catastrophic defeat during the winter of 1941, however, this book quotes letters from all levels in the German forces, from the highest (Kluge) to lowest ranks and they all complain that the hold order was causing more losses in men and equipment, as forces could not react to Russian attacks.

In January 1942 Model took over 9th Army and, standing up to Hitler, showed that when released from these restrictions the Germans could fight and defeat the Russians in -25C temperatures, trapping and destroying two Soviet Armies. This was with all the limitations of clothing and equipment, as the winter supplies did not arrive until February and March.

Overall, the book seem balanced and detailed, whilst wide ranging, from high strategy to individual personal experiences. [:)]

Play the game, enjoy the challenge, know the history, a lot of people paid a fearful price.

RE: The Retreat.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:07 pm
by Dr. Foo
ORIGINAL: 76mm

Ivan's War I did not even consider military history, really it is just just a history of social issues in a military context, if that makes sense. I can't really recommend it.

That's what I thought social history is not my thing.

That reminds me of something one of my history professor's told me. Both he and I were into military history he said that Stephen Ambrose interviewed at the school. He wanted to establish a center for military studies (this was before he became maga famous).

I think this was in the 70's or 80's, anyway the board asked him did he mean by military studies the impact the military has on society and social issue of warfare. He said no, I mean BOOM, BOOM military studies. He didn't get the job...oh what could have been.

Thank you Rasputitsa I look forward to reading the book.