Page 1 of 2
Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:58 am
by Grubwurm
Hi,
I've been interested in getting this game for a long time.
The x-mas sale got me, I hope to be active now and I hope that the game gels sometime and I finally get it.
I have HttR, TOAW III, COTA, BftB, & WitP - AE.
I just purchased both WitP- AE & BftB today - Going to exert energy into WitP - AE 1st.
Thks,
Grubwurm
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:58 am
by DivePac88
Welcome to the Nut-house Grubwurm, and you won't regret buying this game. But the other people in your life will regret you getting it, as they will see less of you now I suspect.
I suggest you start with one of the small scenarios like Guadalcanal.
Also this thread should answer most of your questions
FAQ / Info for Newb's
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:09 am
by Chickenboy
Hi grubwurm. Welcome aboard. As my emu-enhanced colleague says, this game will take over your consciousness and your waking thoughts, particularly once you venture into PBEM. Good luck!
I wanted to put in a plug for these forums. If you're a serious gamer, this is a great environment to have your questions answered. Hunt around here a bit and many of your questions will be answered.
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:41 am
by DuckofTindalos
Welcome to the Dark Side. Your life as you know it is OVER.[;)]
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:00 pm
by topeverest
Welcome! Hold on to those lug nuts!!!
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:17 pm
by Misconduct
ORIGINAL: Terminus
Welcome to the Dark Side. Your life as you know it is OVER.[;)]
But the Dark Side has one advantage, we have cookies.
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:32 pm
by Schanilec
Also Balloons and pony rides.[:'(]
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:44 pm
by Buck Beach
Welcome. Wow, I should say your a long time lurker having joined the forums in 2000 and this is your first post.
I also must say you are one ambitious dude by the games you have purchased. Beware AE is a career to learn right and most of the games are very long and time consuming (even against the AI and 3 day turns). However, it is the grand daddy of all WW II strategy games and you may become addicted as many of us have. You also may find you don't have much time for the other games (or RL)
Good Luck
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:48 pm
by scott64
ORIGINAL: Schanilec
Also Balloons and pony rides.[:'(]
And sometimes naked nuns [:'(][X(]
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:51 pm
by Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: scott1964
ORIGINAL: Schanilec
Also Balloons and pony rides.[:'(]
And sometimes naked nuns [:'(][X(]
No! Bad dog! Down! Down!

RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:17 pm
by USSAmerica
Welcome aboard, Grubwurm! [:)]
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:30 pm
by Grfin Zeppelin
Welcome, expect to waste half of your life here and being able to tell your grandchildren that you took Singapor one month earlier than the Japanese did historicaly. Or if you play the Allies.....well tell them you won ww2 alone.
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:40 pm
by Grubwurm
Hi,
Let me clarify - i didn't buy all those games at once.
I was listing the ones I own - I just picked up WitP-AE & BftB yesterday.
The rest I 've had for awhile just never played PBEM.
I want to play WitP-AE PBEM.
Thks,
Grubwurm
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:49 pm
by John 3rd
ORIGINAL: Buck Beach
Welcome. Wow, I should say your a long time lurker having joined the forums in 2000 and this is your first post.
I also must say you are one ambitious dude by the games you have purchased. Beware AE is a career to learn right and most of the games are very long and time consuming (even against the AI and 3 day turns). However, it is the grand daddy of all WW II strategy games and you may become addicted as many of us have. You also may find you don't have much time for the other games (or RL)
Good Luck
I concur with this Post. You must play the Allies because, if you had Japanese aggressiveness within you, you would have Posted 500 times on the day you joined the Forum in 2000. Watch out players, this gentlemen has patience and that marks him as dangerous Allied player! [:D]
Seriously though--WELCOME to the asylum.
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:05 pm
by crsutton
ORIGINAL: Grubwurm
Hi,
Let me clarify - i didn't buy all those games at once.
I was listing the ones I own - I just picked up WitP-AE & BftB yesterday.
The rest I 've had for awhile just never played PBEM.
I want to play WitP-AE PBEM.
Thks,
Grubwurm
Yes, you do.....I it much more satisfying and different from playing the AI. Plenty of players here of all skill levels. Read the rules but pay close attention to this forum. You will really learn the ins and outs here. And before you ask, historically the zero was not a better fighter than the wildcat......[:D]
Welcome
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:43 pm
by shauny1987
Girlfriends and wives rue the day WiTP was created.
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:07 am
by stuman
Here is one suggestion :
1. Tell all of your friends/family that you will not be seeing them for a while.
2. Sell/liquidate all assets.
3. Find very cheap one room efficiency apartment.
4. Go to Sams/Costco and buy mass quantites of food.
5. Play untill you run out of money and food.
6. Go back to friends/family and ask forgiveness. Get a job, save up money. And repeat when your asset base is high enough.
Just a thought.
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:29 am
by Grubwurm
Hi again,
Day 2 watched the vids and played several days of Guadalcanal (US).
About halfway thru the manual.
I will keep everyone posted on progress - and thanks for all the responses.
Grubwurm
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:59 am
by mikkey
welcome Grubwurm, Guadalcanal is a very good scenario for beginning, I play it also now[;)]. Good luck!
RE: Hi - Longtime lurker
Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:57 pm
by Pascal_slith
As with the Pink Floyd song: Welcome to the Machine!