Page 1 of 1

HUCE ASW

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:55 pm
by darknite
This is driving me nuts. I have dumped nearly 20 helo & ASW a/c torps on a perfectly tracked sub target with no result, not even a run-in animation. The torps cruise by at snorkle level, or if I launch them further off they keep an initial bearing and don't even chase the sub. What gives!?!?

Meanwhile my own sub gets clobbered about 2 minutes after launching torps on surface targets going 30 kts.

RE: HUCE ASW

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:15 am
by TonyE
It isn't easy, and it really really helps to manually plot the run-in to torp drop. Dropping as soon as you get into range will rarely get you a hit since the seeker ranges are short and the target may well evade.

RE: HUCE ASW

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:56 am
by Bucks
If Submarines were easy to kill, who would build them? [8D]

Darren

RE: HUCE ASW

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:01 pm
by CV32
ORIGINAL: darknite
This is driving me nuts. I have dumped nearly 20 helo & ASW a/c torps on a perfectly tracked sub target with no result, not even a run-in animation. The torps cruise by at snorkle level, or if I launch them further off they keep an initial bearing and don't even chase the sub. What gives!?!? Meanwhile my own sub gets clobbered about 2 minutes after launching torps on surface targets going 30 kts.

Yep, the seeker acquisition ranges are typically quite short and you need to put your aircraft right on top of the target (1 nm or less) to get a good chance at acquisition. Also, the torpedo won't dive to target depth until it is very close to the target.

RE: HUCE ASW

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:52 pm
by darknite
I've killed a couple of subs already in HUCE. It definitely takes some skill. Often the torps will run on by. If you're lucky they cycle depths until they hit. I kind of like that since it reflects how hard it is to nail a sub.

However against this Trafalgar I have dropped a couple of dozen torps, mostly right on top of it, and nothing.

Oh well, I've still got some Seahawks left to launch that haven't had a go! [8D]