Page 1 of 1

Marcus Island unattackable?

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 4:41 am
by Dean Robb
Has anyone been able to set Marcus Island as a Allied TF destination?

I can set it as a air target, but I can't send my bombardment force/CV TF there. Wierd glitch, or real bug?

Re: Marcus Island unattackable?

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:31 pm
by Svar
Originally posted by Dean Robb
Has anyone been able to set Marcus Island as a Allied TF destination?

I can set it as a air target, but I can't send my bombardment force/CV TF there. Wierd glitch, or real bug?
Its port value is 0 which makes it an inland base so I would say it is a bug. If you can reset the port value to 1 it will be an island again. The Japanese can't send ships there either so all it is good for is a seaplane base.

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:41 pm
by Jeremy Pritchard
It was intentional.

Marcus Island was used by too many Allied players as a 1942 invasion target, where it would be built up to have bombers and slaughter the Japanese AI.

I think that you can land on it as the Japanese in OBC41, and in the PBEM version.

However, in 3.1 we are going to modify the maximum port/airbase of each of the types of bases, so resulting in certain bases being limited to seaplane (i.e., only maximum level 2 or 3) so these could not unhistorically be changed into bomber bases (you could not fit 160 B-29's on Marcus!).

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:50 am
by Svar
Originally posted by Jeremy Pritchard
It was intentional.

Marcus Island was used by too many Allied players as a 1942 invasion target, where it would be built up to have bombers and slaughter the Japanese AI.

I think that you can land on it as the Japanese in OBC41, and in the PBEM version.

However, in 3.1 we are going to modify the maximum port/airbase of each of the types of bases, so resulting in certain bases being limited to seaplane (i.e., only maximum level 2 or 3) so these could not unhistorically be changed into bomber bases (you could not fit 160 B-29's on Marcus!).
If Marcus Island has no strategic value why not just remove it? Limiting a base to a maximum level of 2 or 3 will only eliminate its use as a multi-engine bomber base. I routinely send 2 marine fighter squadrons and a dive bomber sguadron to a level 3 base.

Svar

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:02 am
by Jeremy Pritchard
It is usefull as a Japanese seaplane base.

great stuff

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:25 pm
by GET TRANSPT
Great job on Marcus. I like all the changes in v 3.0 so far. I second the request for a readme file with changes/fixed bugs.Is it possibel to add more icons to the "ship pools" ? it would be nice to see if there are subs, dd's, etc. available without having to keep a mental tally

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:02 am
by Cmdrcain
Originally posted by Svar


If Marcus Island has no strategic value why not just remove it? Limiting a base to a maximum level of 2 or 3 will only eliminate its use as a multi-engine bomber base. I routinely send 2 marine fighter squadrons and a dive bomber sguadron to a level 3 base.

Svar

Limiting it doesn't remove it's strategic value, it can spot enemy TF's with seaplanes, if limited to a 1-3 size it would be still useful as able use Fighters/divebombers/torp bombers on it.

But a level 4 or more allowed it be used for Heavy Bombers.

Now if it ever was used for b25/b26 when allied control or Japanese Bettys, other Level bombers the only way out would be if able recode so a Heavy Bomber neededs a 5-Up base

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:49 am
by Dean Robb
The only drawback to the current setup is that you can't capture Marcus to eliminate the Japanese base.