Page 1 of 2

Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:59 pm
by Webbco
In my mad rush to research and steal as much technology as quickly as possible to have an edge over all other empires, I noticed something that my Haakonish allies have called 'Super Beam Weapons'. I am currently sending an agent to steal it (it sounds good) but noticed it is not in the weapons research tree...or any other research tree for that matter. Any ideas folks?

My only guess they obtained it from retiring an abandoned vessel or world destroyer.

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:00 pm
by WoodMan
I think you might be able to find it in ruins.

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:13 pm
by Data
from what i've read so far I agree with WoodMan, i've not had this experience as i have yet failed to play the game.....i'm just playing with it, testing stuff
one suggestion, if you use the editor to quickly max on all your research do you see it in the design screen?

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14 pm
by BigWolfChris
It's a unique super weapon you can only find on ruins

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:15 pm
by Data
no mention of this in the manual or galactopedia either

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:24 pm
by Webbco
Haha, that's pretty sweet. I'm kind of glad it's not mentioned in the manual or galactopedia...it's great to have a few little unexpected surprises! [;)]

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:28 pm
by Data
well said altough by the time we all finish our games i wonder if we'll have even a speck of dust on the remotest asteroid unexplained
luckily this game really has a huuuge universe...and it's expanding

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:13 pm
by BigWolfChris
There is also another super weapon, and 2 other government types that can only be found in ruins
I won't go into details incase you want to be surprised :)

Though I guarantee it'll be brought up in the forums sooner or later, so if you want too, I will spill

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:17 am
by kenata
I recently found an area super weapon in a game. It was very cool, though sadly I don't care for area weapons much since the ship AI does not do a great job trying to optimize for its use.

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:33 am
by Shark7
ORIGINAL: kenata

I recently found an area super weapon in a game. It was very cool, though sadly I don't care for area weapons much since the ship AI does not do a great job trying to optimize for its use.

Ah, the Devastator Pulse...put one of those on your defensive bases and watch as your homeworld because practically invincible. [:D]

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:56 am
by caerr
Or watch in horror as a dozen civilian ships get obliterated when a pirate escort wandered into firing range. [X(]

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:08 am
by Data
good point caerr, i'm scared by area weapons and what they can do to me if i use them

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:15 am
by J HG T
I'm quite sure you can also find the super-beam in derelict starbases. I did so in my current game. Currently researching bigger hulls to create a proper "siege-cannon" ship to wreck some puny defense bases.


RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:27 am
by Data
the more puny the defenses the bigger the cannons...i like this squashing strategy, very sadistic indeed [:D]

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:23 am
by Webbco
I've recently just discovered 2 world destroyer projects...2!! Neither of which have other empires construction ships repairing them.

I love it how one game can be so different to the next in DW.

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:28 am
by Data
actually, i think every game has the standard three WD projects
or maybe it's related to map size, i always play on the 1400 stars map

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:53 am
by BigWolfChris
Couldn't answer that since I play with the storylines off

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:04 pm
by Data
BigWolf, can you confirm that you never encountered a WD in your storylines off games? I was under the impression that these were not dependent on the storyline
thx

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:06 pm
by Shark7
ORIGINAL: caerr

Or watch in horror as a dozen civilian ships get obliterated when a pirate escort wandered into firing range. [X(]

No pain no gain. [:D]

RE: Super Beam Weapons?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:10 pm
by Shark7
ORIGINAL: Data

good point caerr, i'm scared by area weapons and what they can do to me if i use them

At the point where you need them, losing a dozen freighters is far more desirable than your Homeworld burning. Besides, if you destroy your own freighters, you make money off of the civilian sector ordering new ones.

Having an AI fleet of 36 ships show up to attack my homeworld and being successfully defeated by a trio of devastator pulse armed defense bases was a relief for sure. And a well shielded large spaceport can survive multiple hits from the pulse weapons.[;)]