Page 1 of 2
3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:40 pm
by Princessjj1
How about an official answer of some kind--how much longer are we talking about here? Nearly a month since last word, and more than that since we were told it had been submitted for approval...
Oh wait, that's right. You have our money already. You don't have to give a **** about your customers.
And before anyone says "download the beta", I don't put beta software on my system. And if I did, I sure wouldn't be beta-testing for a product I paid for already.
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:46 pm
by Panama
ORIGINAL: Darkstar One
How about an official answer of some kind--how much longer are we talking about here? Nearly a month since last word, and more than that since we were told it had been submitted for approval...
Oh wait, that's right. You have our money already. You don't have to give a **** about your customers.
And before anyone says "download the beta", I don't put beta software on my system. And if I did, I sure wouldn't be beta-testing for a product I paid for already.
[8|][8|][8|][8|][:-]
This upgrade is free. It isn't a patch, it's an upgrade. There will be another FREE upgrade after this. If you've played any of the more recent wargames you'll quickly find you have to pay for these.
Might I suggest anger management classes. [:'(]
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:06 pm
by Silvanski
The "official" update probably won't contain any major changes compared to the public beta, which has been running fine for me and numerous others.
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:38 pm
by marjur
ORIGINAL: Darkstar One
Oh wait, that's right. You have our money already. You don't have to give a **** about your customers.
Hey, Darkstar, you're taking these things too seriously. C'mon, man, chill out [8D]
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:01 pm
by Princessjj1
I'm not pissed as much about the delay itself as I am about the combination of the delay AND the lack of communication the last four weeks or so. If there's a further delay, tell us. But to ignore it at this point is just a different and imaginative way of giving the middle finger to all those who, like me, don't want to be unpaid beta-testers for a "patch" or "upgrade".
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:33 pm
by Panama
ORIGINAL: Darkstar One
I'm not pissed as much about the delay itself as I am about the combination of the delay AND the lack of communication the last four weeks or so. If there's a further delay, tell us. But to ignore it at this point is just a different and imaginative way of giving the middle finger to all those who, like me, don't want to be unpaid beta-testers for a "patch" or "upgrade".
You obviously have never been a beta tester. Otherwise you would know they are never compensated unless it's in house testing. [:D]
There really is no need to be hostile towards the people who are doing this for you. They didn't have to.
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:38 pm
by Curtis Lemay
Who are you addressing this question to? Whoever knows the answer (if there actually is such a person) isn't reading this board very often, if at all. For sure it isn't me or Ralph.
All I can say is to repeat what I've already stated: The current "Beta" should be considered as the final version. The only reason it wasn't labeled as the Official release was an issue with the Game Menu - which practically no one uses. The code is almost for sure finished. Nothing "Beta" about that. It's gotten over six months of field testing. It's been wrung out.
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 pm
by E
ORIGINAL: Darkstar One
Oh wait, that's right. You have our money already. You don't have to give a **** about your customers.
Yeah, they just don't support 4 & 1/2 year old games like they... err, um, ah, um, ...
should? *grin*
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:30 pm
by Oberst_Klink
Just my 2 Reichspfennig... I prefer Matrixgames involving the dedicated players to help them UPGRADING their games; this one in particular. Look what T*l*ns*ft did... They released TOAW in 4 (FOUR!) different versions before this fine baby TOAW 3 rose like Phoenix from the Ashes.
Now, mind you Kamerad Dunkelstern, 4x$39.99 = $160'ish Yankee Dollars...
I don't want to mention a certain "Campaign" series which uses always the same system, graphics etc. *the games, details, OOB, tons of scenarios etc. are good though* ... other companies release 4 different game boxers with 5 (LOUSY) scenarios each and COUNT on US to design them... again, I am NOT a spokesperson for MG, just a humble Kommandant of Stamlager 13.
kLiNk, Oberst
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:42 pm
by berto
ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink
Just my 2 Reichspfennig... I prefer Matrixgames involving the dedicated players to help them UPGRADING their games; this one in particular. Look what T*l*ns*ft did... They released TOAW in 4 (FOUR!) different versions before this fine baby TOAW 3 rose like Phoenix from the Ashes.
I dutifully purchased all four different Talonsoft versions. Then again the Matrix re-release. That's five (!) purchases of TOAW.
I must be crazy.
I don't want to mention a certain "Campaign" series which uses always the same system, graphics etc. *the games, details, OOB, tons of scenarios etc. are good though* ... other companies release 4 different game boxers with 5 (LOUSY) scenarios each and COUNT on US to design them...
I've purchased the Campaign Series on each release (all TS versions, including the Matrix re-release), also. How many times have I purchased Rising Sun?!
Totally freakin' bonkers.
After my one-time purchase of Matrix' re-release of TOAW a few years back, you won't get any complaint from me about the 3.4 "delays". Matrix'
free patch, upgrade, and overall post-release/post-purchase product support is stellar.
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:24 pm
by Sprocket62
I'm a bit new to this game, but before buying it I did look at various others. The wide scope of military history that this game covers isn't matched by most ( if any ) of the others. I would have had to buy a whole series of games to come close to this one. Another reason I made this choice is the level of activity in this forum. There's lot's of input from a lot of active players. The fact that there are beta versions coming out is a clear sign that development and improvement is continuing. For the price, AND the free updates, this is the best value out there.
P.S. there are a lot of people here that are always eager to help out, all you have to do is ask. Ranting is not necessary.
Sprocket62
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:36 am
by marjur
What's really beautiful about the 3.4 is its size. It's already 220MB! Soon, the patch will be bigger than the game itself!

RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:04 am
by ralphtricky
ORIGINAL: Darkstar One
I'm not pissed as much about the delay itself as I am about the combination of the delay AND the lack of communication the last four weeks or so. If there's a further delay, tell us. But to ignore it at this point is just a different and imaginative way of giving the middle finger to all those who, like me, don't want to be unpaid beta-testers for a "patch" or "upgrade".
The only reason it's a beta right now is an issue with the launcher program for Windows 98 and for older processors. I doubt anyone uses the launcher anyway. I think it also may not install on Windows 98. Unless I hear that it's melting multiple graphics cards or something that major, it's going to be the same executable for the public patch.
The reason I haven't said anything is that it's waiting for some things to happen that are outside of my control. Since I don't manage that process, I'd prefer to keep the 'sausage making' private instead of posting wrong or misleading comments or guesses. Now that the pre-Christmas rush is over and people are back from vacation, I'm hoping we can get the patch public relatively soon.
I also sent the Spanish file update posted in the forums to see if it can be added without taking more time.
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:15 am
by Silvanski
ORIGINAL: marjur
What's really beautiful about the 3.4 is its size. It's already 220MB! Soon, the patch will be bigger than the game itself!
that's because of the new png graphics included...[;)] but the size of the heart of the game, the opart.exe itself has increased dramatically
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:00 pm
by PRUSSIAN TOM
Gotta put in my vote for Ralph, Curtis, Telumar, Klink, and anyone else even remotely involves with this puppy. Matrix took an old game, souped it up and got a lot of the kinks out. I bought TAOW3 in 2006, and was glad to get it, and VERY glad that Matrix was the company releasing it. They have continued to upgrade, support and improve this game for about 5 years. Additionally, there are any number of super-vetrans who are not paid, who take their time out to answer questions from rookies like me. IMO, TAOW is one of the top BANG for your BUCK game that has been put out by anybody. I'm willing to wait till the get the "Official" version right, and chugging along fine with the beta.
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:56 pm
by 1_Lzard
ORIGINAL: Darkstar One
How about an official answer of some kind--how much longer are we talking about here? Nearly a month since last word, and more than that since we were told it had been submitted for approval...
Oh wait, that's right. You have our money already. You don't have to give a **** about your customers.
And before anyone says "download the beta", I don't put beta software on my system. And if I did, I sure wouldn't be beta-testing for a product I paid for already.
Frankly, Darkstar, Your not going to get a response that will satisfy you! That's how it is, and will ever be.........
If this offends you, well, I just don't care! This forum isn't the place to ask Matrix oriented quiestions anyway, try bothering them instead!
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:35 pm
by rich12545
First I want to express my appreciation to Ralph and everybody who is doing all this on a volunteer basis. [&o]
Second, bothering Matrix is like pissing into the wind. With Harpoon we've been waiting for the patch that has been in their hands for two months. No amount of asking for status or sending a PM to Erik is getting any info. Ralph is an excellent communicator in comparison.
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:37 pm
by eggmansdaddy
It's done when it's done. Besides, why would a gaming company release a comprehensive FREE patch that overhauls and modernizes one of the most popular operational level game series of all time, for all extents and purposes making it a much better title, while they are trying to maximize sales during the holiday season. Not good business to release a free patch to a legacy game until sales "slow"...
Now issuing "tweak" patches for recently released games like WitE and DW expansion makes perfect sense...
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:40 pm
by E
ORIGINAL: eggmansdaddy
It's done when it's done. Besides, why would a gaming company release a comprehensive FREE patch that overhauls and modernizes one of the most popular operational level game series of all time, for all extents and purposes making it a much better title, while they are trying to maximize sales during the holiday season. Not good business to release a free patch to a legacy game until sales "slow"...
Now issuing "tweak" patches for recently released games like WitE and DW expansion makes perfect sense...
Interesting take on things.
While I joked above about patches not being immediate for a 4.5 year old game (
I think the sarcasm was self-evident in the statement *grin*), I can sympathize with the OP a little bit because I felt some impatience around last June. Although I was not in the least inclined to make a public rant, because anything I get for a 4.5 year old program is a complete BONUS (
and that's before the context of what THIS patch includes... wow!).
RE: 3.4 RELEASE???
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:24 pm
by alexzhz
I think the best way to solve the launcher program is to ignore those who still use windows 98, TOAW3 now becomes a completely new game and it does not need to be compatible with a system used in 10 years ago. It's quite a small market, which is not worth doing anything.