Page 1 of 6
Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:07 am
by Obsolete
Alright, I have not watched that Pear Harbour movie everyone whines about, so keep that in mind, but anyway...
For the most BLANKS fired in a war-movie, I found AN UNGENTLEMANLY ACT to be the most boring war-movie I can remember.
It makes those european anti-war movies actually look GOOD.
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:09 am
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: Obsolete
Alright, I have not watched that Pear Harbour movie everyone whines about, so keep that in mind, but anyway...
For the most BLANKS fired in a war-movie, I found AN UNGENTLEMANLY ACT to be the most boring war-movie I can remember.
It makes those european anti-war movies actually look GOOD.
Warspite1
I would not say Pearl Harbor was necessarily
boring; it was just breath-takingly hideous. What is An Ungentlemanly Act about and what made it boring?
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:03 am
by Lützow
Don't bother with Pearl Harbour movie. It's rather a love story to attract women.
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:27 pm
by DuckofTindalos
Thin Red Line was a godawful snooze-athon...
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:30 pm
by ilovestrategy
ORIGINAL: Terminus
Thin Red Line was a godawful snooze-athon...
It was. Ugh. It seemed to me like a boring anti war movie. An anti war movie set in WW2. [&:]
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:33 pm
by sol_invictus
ORIGINAL: Terminus
Thin Red Line was a godawful snooze-athon...
Yep, first movie that came to mind.[>:]
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:47 pm
by warspite1
I thought Stalingrad was right up there in the snooze-fest stakes. Such a shame, I expected so much better and indeed it started brightly enough, but then - well, sort of disappeared up its own exhaust pipe [&:].
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm
by Zakhal
Pearl Harbor made my skin crawl.
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:04 pm
by Obsolete
What is An Ungentlemanly Act about and what made it boring?
It was about the Argentinians and the Britts in their Falkland war....
I won't say anything else since... I don't even want to get into details about it.
Oh wait a minute, I WILL SAY SOMETHING!
Despite this was a Brittish film, and Britts are supposed to be heros and all, I found myself constantly waiting/hoping for the Argentines to come and shoot the @#%(#$^ out of the Britts and kick them right off the damn island and out of the movie. That just couldn't possibly happen fast enough...
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:08 pm
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: Obsolete
What is An Ungentlemanly Act about and what made it boring?
It was about the Argentinians and the Britts in their Falkland war....
I won't say anything else since... I don't even want to get into details about it.
Oh wait a minute, I WILL SAY SOMETHING!
Despite this was a Brittish film, and Britts are supposed to be heros and all, I found myself constantly waiting/hoping for the Argentines to come and shoot the @#%(#$^ out of the Britts and kick them right off the damn island and out of the movie. That just couldn't possibly happen fast enough...
Warspite1
Why?
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:53 pm
by Tomus
An Ungentlmanly Act was not really a war movie it was about the initial invasion but I wouldn't call it war film. It's more of a political drama. I thought it was pretty good.
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:15 pm
by carnifex
These all put me to sleep:
The English Patient.
Flags of Our Fathers.
Catch-22.
All Quiet On The Western Front.
The Thin Red Line.
Alexander.
Edit: also The Big Red One.
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:46 pm
by Canoerebel
Thin Red Line and The-Movie-that-Shall-Not-Be-Named-(About a Certain Surprise Attack on a Hawaian Naval Base) are terrible, though I don't think they're necessarily boring. They're just awful. Just like Kelly's Heroes, The Eagle has Landed, and Windtalkers.
For boring, I nominate War and Peace and 12 O'Clock High.
Oddly, you can have pretty good war movies that are just a tad bit too long, and thus can be a little bit boring. A Bridge too Far and possibly even Bridge on the River Kwai fall into that category, even though I like both movies.
Edited to correct by substituting The Eagle has Landed for The Eye of the Needle.
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:04 pm
by Anthropoid
I don't know if I'm just a warmonger at heart, or if it is the anthropologist in me that enjoys watching war movies as a sort of 'ethnography' of warfare (the closest I really want to get to it, though I acknowledge it may often be inaccurate), but I've seen most of the movies mentioned here negatively (including the one with the hot nurses in the Pacific Island which shall not be named) and enjoyed all of them.
Another one that I really enjoyed, and have watched at least 3 times, but which IS boring: Das Boot.
Getting bored toward the last hour I think was part of the brilliance of that movie. It conveyed the agony of serving in one of those boats.
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:33 pm
by Obsolete
An Ungentlmanly Act was not really a war movie it was about the initial invasion but I wouldn't call it war film. It's more of a political drama. I thought it was pretty good.
Well, I guess I was in trouble when the box said...
"Award winning drama starring blah... blah..."
"Excellent... not to be missed." - The Standard
This actually makes me want to shove in Braveheart, just to watch the Scottish, Irish, and whatever other English-hating entities were around at that time beat the @#(^#$ out of the English at the Battle of Stirling Bridge.
And yes, I am WELL AWARE the bridge seems to be missing in that battle scene for some odd reason...(thanks Hollywood) but after forcing myself through the above mentioned movie last night, it seems of little consequence now.
Oh, I see on the back some other quotes I missed:
"Riveting, unexpectedly funny..." - Daily Mail
"Cancel anything to see this -- and sandbag the living-room." - The Sunday Times
Ok, are these comments actually for real???
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:40 pm
by Zakhal
If series are included the new pacific band o brothers was perhaps the most boring I have ever seen. I managed to watch only half of the episodes before quitting and forgetting the whole series.
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:54 pm
by carnifex
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
Just like Kelly's Heroes
Aww man, that movie is in my Top Ten, not just War Top Ten, but Top Ten Top Ten.
I prefer it by it's Spanish title though, LOS VIOLENTOS DE KELLY! (Close second the German title, STOSSTRUPP GOLD!)
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:57 pm
by cantona2
Strosstrupp Gold Classic!!!!!!
PH
Thin Red Line
Flags of our Fathers
Battle of the Bugle (they couldnt even sing the whole Panzerleid)
Cold Beer in Alex
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:20 pm
by Navodchik
My nominates are Gods and Generals and German movie The Red Baron. Others came too in my mind, but most of them are already mentioned.
RE: Most Boring War-Movie
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:29 pm
by Jeffrey H.
ORIGINAL: Anthropoid
I don't know if I'm just a warmonger at heart, or if it is the anthropologist in me that enjoys watching war movies as a sort of 'ethnography' of warfare (the closest I really want to get to it, though I acknowledge it may often be inaccurate), but I've seen most of the movies mentioned here negatively (including the one with the hot nurses in the Pacific Island which shall not be named) and enjoyed all of them.
Another one that I really enjoyed, and have watched at least 3 times, but which IS boring: Das Boot.
Getting bored toward the last hour I think was part of the brilliance of that movie. It conveyed the agony of serving in one of those boats.
God DaS Boot was BORING ! so true. But it still delivered a powerful story.