Page 1 of 1

How do i...

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:44 pm
by Knife
Entrench a unit?

Send in strike aircraft?

Use papratroopers?

Use a flamethrowing tank EFFECTIVELY!!

Re: How do i...

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:25 pm
by rbrunsman
Originally posted by Knife
Entrench a unit? I believe units can only be entrenched in the deploy phase. You just click the entrench button on the right side of your screen. Keep in mind, this option is not available in all types of battles (e.g. in defense and delay situations only, IIRC). In the middle of a game, AFAIK, a unit that is unsuppressed and not moving may go to "in cover" status. That is an experience check issue and not something you can do by giving orders.

Send in strike aircraft? Airstrikes are ordered just like you order artillery strikes. They can be called anytime that they are "in contact."

Use papratroopers? To begin with, you have to buy transport aircraft in the purchase phase. (Pay attention to load capacity. It's not a one to one relationship.) Then in the deploy phase, you load airborne units into the airplanes. Then you click the icon with the parachute on the right. Then you tell the airplanes where you want it to drop your units.

Use a flamethrowing tank EFFECTIVELY!! Other than the short range of FT units, I don't understand what you mean. You certainly wouldn't want them as the vanguard of your advance. They should be introduced to your opponents units when they are not likely to get an opp fire shot at your FTs.
These are my suggestions and certainly not those of an expert. Others may have better explainations or interpretations of your questions. I just thought I'd give you an answer because no one else had done so yet.

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:10 pm
by Warrior
Read the manual.

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:18 am
by Supervisor
Another way to entrench a unit is to put it in a defend status for several turns and eventially you'll see sand bags surround your unit. This is not as a deployment entrenchment but it is very good when the shooting starts.

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:27 am
by rbrunsman
Does switching to Defend status help even if you play with C&C off? I thought it only worked with C&C on. I don't know where I got that notion, so if I'm wrong I'll be sure to use it more often.

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:30 am
by Supervisor
Its actually more forgiving if C&C is off, it gives a better defensive status without losing any movement points to do so. After about 3 turns your guys are burried in it for the long haul making it very tough to hit.