Page 1 of 1

Playing AE on a Mac using Parallels

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:05 pm
by Cajun Tifoso
Well, the subject is pretty self explanatory. My gaming system died, and I decided to switch to Apple. But, I have the itch again to play AE and War in the East (will also be posting there).

I don't really want go to through BootCamp (bad experience), and I read that a program called Parallels allows you to run PC programs on a Mac. Has anyone had to resort to using Parallels or a similar program?

Please say "yes" and that it works,
Patrick

RE: Playing AE on a Mac using Parallels

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:23 pm
by DuckofTindalos
Of course it works. Parallels and the like turn Macs into PCs; why wouldn't it work?

RE: Playing AE on a Mac using Parallels

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:00 pm
by herwin
ORIGINAL: Cajun Tifoso

Well, the subject is pretty self explanatory. My gaming system died, and I decided to switch to Apple. But, I have the itch again to play AE and War in the East (will also be posting there).

I don't really want go to through BootCamp (bad experience), and I read that a program called Parallels allows you to run PC programs on a Mac. Has anyone had to resort to using Parallels or a similar program?

Please say "yes" and that it works,
Patrick

Good luck with Parallels. I'm a long-term customer, but it hasn't worked on my last two MacBook Pros. Problems with keyboards and mice. Eventually they threw up their hands and abandoned trying to make it work on that configuration. Bootcamp works fine.

RE: Playing AE on a Mac using Parallels

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:44 pm
by wdolson
I don't have much experience with Macs, but my SO is a Mac fan (she still has one of the original Macs with the signed case).  She uses Bootcamp, but she converted a friend to Mac and had Parallels put on it.  Parallels does seem to have some issues on some Macs.  I believe Bootcamp can be configured to work on any Mac, but it has the downside of requiring a reboot to switch OSes.

I don't know of anyone who uses AE with Parallels, but I have heard people have used it will with Bootcamp.  Several people have also configured it under WINE in Linux with good results.  AE tends to play well with OS emulators like WINE, so I would give good odds that it would work with Parallels too.

Bill

RE: Playing AE on a Mac using Parallels

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:54 am
by herwin
ORIGINAL: wdolson

I don't have much experience with Macs, but my SO is a Mac fan (she still has one of the original Macs with the signed case).  She uses Bootcamp, but she converted a friend to Mac and had Parallels put on it.  Parallels does seem to have some issues on some Macs.  I believe Bootcamp can be configured to work on any Mac, but it has the downside of requiring a reboot to switch OSes.

I don't know of anyone who uses AE with Parallels, but I have heard people have used it will with Bootcamp.  Several people have also configured it under WINE in Linux with good results.  AE tends to play well with OS emulators like WINE, so I would give good odds that it would work with Parallels too.

Bill

WitP worked with Parallels back in the days when I could run it on my laptop.