Page 1 of 1

Q - even battles?

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:25 pm
by brutalx
Hi!
I´m trying to convince a good friend of mine that a historic campain is a really nice way to spend some time together. But he just want to play "even" battles. I can´t really work it out. Wich settings in the preferences gives the most even battles in a pbem game? Preferences, year and so on...

Thanks in advance

Peter K

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:36 pm
by Goblin
Keep True Troop ON. It factors experience into the unit prices. Keep the National Characteristics ON. Limited Ammo On is a must. Facing bazooka teams with unlimited ammo, or tanks with unlimited APCR rounds is no fun. Some like Rarity ON. I do not, but if it is off, you must both agree to not go nuts with the heavy/rare stuff.

No specific year is more or less fair than the others. Keep all preferences at 100%. For added enjoyment, turn fast arty OFF. I'm sure someone will be along with whatever I missed.

Goblin- A Goblin gives 100%:D

What we do

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:41 am
by Capt. Pixel
A friend of mine and I have the same issues.

We set a point limit, and other Preferences by agreement, and then purchase liberally using the Nation button in the Buy screen.

It almost always ends up with the both of us purchasing nearly similar forces of US, German and maybe British forces. That's about as even as you can get. If you didn't buy it, it's your own fault.

VHs are ignored more often than not. Then we pound on each other until one or the other says 'Uncle'.

With National Characteristics Off and experience set to 70, you get a nearly equal face-off. Now it comes down to who is a better tactician (or who is the most 'gamey' ;) )

Sometimes the playbacks can get confusing:

"Patton shoots at Patton"
"Patton shoots at Patton"
"Patton destroyed"

Which Patton was destroyed? His or mine?? Ahh the confusion of battle. :rolleyes:

This is a fun way to play - give it a try. :D

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:50 am
by G_X
I don't like the idea of using multiple countries in my armies

Sure I see some American's having british Arty, and some SAS commandos, but I don't envision Russian's attacking Italians with German KingTiger tanks...ok, well, maybe, but you see what I mean. I hope.

The best way I've seen to do an even battle is to simply set a point limit for each side that represents what's gonna happen, if your friend wants to play even games, then use two equal numbers, and use the preferences stated earlier.

Sure if you used the same army, then it would be trully equal...but then you lose the whole ability to play on a certain countries strengths (masses of Russian T-34's and Conscripts, German KingTigers with SS prowling nearby)

But that's you and your friend's decision to make really :)


BTW: There's never any dishonor in using Indian Gurka's in your Brit army ;)