Page 1 of 4

OT: Opening Day

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:59 pm
by Bullwinkle58
Baseball is upon us at last. Watched the stinkin' Yankees beat Detroit today.

What else is new. Gonna be a long year unless the Red Sox can put them in their place.

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:31 pm
by Pratzen
Reds. 4 run 9th inning rally, walk-off HR.

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:54 pm
by Canoerebel
Braves beat the Nats.  Phillies are going to be tough with their rotation, but the Braves have a good team.

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:28 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Braves beat the Nats. 

My game kept cutting to that one for updates. The weather looked terrible.

Yankee Stadium was 42 degrees and misting. The fans were in heavy coats, hats, gloves, ear-muffs, bourbon . . .

CC Sabathia's curve ball wouldn't break and the announcers were blaming the air density. [:)]

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:42 am
by LST Express
Love baseball but prefer the amateur brand now. Grown men running around in uniforms that look like pajamas just doesn't cut it for me. If only the kids leagues still used wooden bats!

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:59 am
by Chickenboy
Gotta wait till tomorrow to watch my A's.  Until then, we're 0.5 games back.  [:(]  [;)]

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:26 am
by USSAmerica
Still an Orioles fan here, even though I haven't lived in Baltimore in 23 years.  Those have been some mostly horrible years for the O's as well, but I'm still a fan.  Pathetic, isn't it?  [:D]

Still furious at the MASN/Time Warner Cable feud that has kept Orioles games off of our local TV for 5 years now, with no end in sight.  I'm in the O's regional TV market in NC, but can't see their games on TV.  I effectively have no home team.  [:@]

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:13 am
by Capt Hornblower
USS America: I think you can probably blame both the Orioles' wretchedness and your inability to watch them on Peter Angelos. Pray for a new owner.

Moose: I heartily share your feelings about the Yankees (it's nice to have the highest payroll in MLB), but it's way too early to concede anything to them. (There are those out in medialand who think this may be the year the Yankees' collective age catches up with them.)

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:23 am
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Gotta wait till tomorrow to watch my A's.  Until then, we're 0.5 games back.  [:(]  [;)]

Twins hater!! [:)]

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:33 am
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: USS America

Still an Orioles fan here, even though I haven't lived in Baltimore in 23 years.  Those have been some mostly horrible years for the O's as well, but I'm still a fan.  Pathetic, isn't it?  [:D]

Still furious at the MASN/Time Warner Cable feud that has kept Orioles games off of our local TV for 5 years now, with no end in sight.  I'm in the O's regional TV market in NC, but can't see their games on TV.  I effectively have no home team.  [:@]

That reminds me of growing up in Tidewater, Va in the 60s and 70s. Pro sports were mostly far away. They tried to hook us into the Redskins (nope, we were a 49ers household or whomever was beating the Cowboys that week), and the Orioles were too far away in those pre-cable days to worry about. We had the Mets' Triple-A farm team, the Tidewater Tides, and I was a fan in some of those years.

Oh, also the Virginia Squires of the ABA (red-white-and-blue basketball), which were hot for awhile. I believe Dr. J. started there, as well as Charlie Scott and George Gervin (The Iceman). That was an interesting league, if only for the hairstyles.

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:18 am
by Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Gotta wait till tomorrow to watch my A's.  Until then, we're 0.5 games back.  [:(]  [;)]

Twins hater!! [:)]
Naw. My loathing is reserved for the Yankees first and foremost. I have developed a neutral to slightly favorable disposition for the 'home team' here-they have a good attitude about their farm system, salary cap and the role of the ball club in the local fabric of society. They are competitive in spite of their financial shortcomings and lack the off field drama so offputting in so many other clubs. I wish them no ill, excepting when they play the Oakland As, of course. [;)]

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:36 am
by bush
Stopped following baseball (except for Ripken's run up to the record) after the "94 strike. World Series cancellation was the deal-breaker for me.

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:09 pm
by tocaff
I like the strategies in baseball, but the pace of the game is awful.  It's like watching grass grow.  I always fell asleep watching a game on tv and the prices for tickets are crazy.  I grew up playing the game and casually follow it now from Brazil, but unless they can speed it up...[>:]

Oh yeah I grew up in Brooklyn when the Dodgers were there and I was a Yankee fan because of my father whose idol was Lou Gehrig when he was a kid.

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:22 pm
by JohnDillworth
Baseball is upon us at last. Watched the stinkin' Yankees beat Detroit today.

What else is new. Gonna be a long year unless the Red Sox can put them in their place.
I expect they can. Yankees have some questions at the back end of their rotation. Plenty of help in the minors though. Don't lose sight of Tampa Bay though. Good Pitching and great defense. they lost some players, but replaced them with good players. Deep farm system. Toronto got better to. Tough division.
Some good news for everyone though. Joe Morgan is not longer with ESPN. Finally we will be able to watch Sunday Night Baseball without the worst annonce to ever sit in fron of a microphone (well, OK, John Sterling's worse).

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:23 pm
by jeffk3510
Royals still suck

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:04 pm
by Canoerebel
Okay, Joe Morgan was bad. John Sterling is worse. But isn't Tim McCarver the worst?

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:06 pm
by Canoerebel
By the way, baseball was the source of one of my favorite quotes of all time.

In commenting on Braves catcher Bruce Benedict, who was unusually slow even for a catcher, Tommy Lasorda, the not-so-loveable but oh-so-quotable manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers, said: 'In a race with a pregnant woman he'd come in third."

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:13 pm
by Canoerebel
And pardon me from going astray on this baseball topic, but since it's delved into announcers, what in the world has become of the television shows devoted to NFL football? Remember the days of Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshire? How have we morphed into the ex-jocks in gold suits vying to see who can talk the loudest and articulate the most inane things?

P.S. The last complete NFL game that I watched was about 1981. Every now and then I happen to catch a snippet. The most recent openings to "Monday Night Football" were laughably bad. Too many commercials are ex-rated (no safety in watching football with a seven-year-old son). And the entire package of glitzy, loud, strutting fools is a sad reflection of what football used to be.

I long for the days of Conrad Dobler, Fred Bilitnekof, Jake Scott, and Emerson Boozer.

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:44 pm
by Schanilec
Listening to the Twins on the radio heading home in snow with more on the way, just seems so wrong.
 
So it is 'Go Fighting Sioux!' Frozen Four in St. Paul next week. NCAA Div I Hockey championship. Time to hoist Banner number 8.
 
Until it starts greening up around here, no baseball. When I hit that first tee-off then its spring. Looking at maybe May.[:(]
 
 
 

RE: OT: Opening Day

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:04 pm
by anarchyintheuk
Arriba Rangers.