Page 1 of 2
Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:58 pm
by canuckgamer
The last Close Combat game that I purchased was CC 3 The Russian Front. I am thinking of buying either CC The Longest Day or CC Arnhem. I assume that they are both at the same level in terms of the evolution of the CC system as they are the two latest games of the series. Although I prefer the subject matter of The Longest Day over Arnhem I would appreciate any opinions and comments in regards to two. Thanks.
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:10 pm
by Iron Stringbean
I'm really enjoying TLD with the latest GT mod. After that, with all the mods available, I can focus on each beach landing. Utah with the Classic mod, Omaha with Bloody Omaha, and soon, GSJ will finish it out. That should keep me busy for a couple years

RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:50 am
by canuckgamer
I downloaded Close Combat Normandy demo from CNET and was not impressed. The graphics were jerky and things like moving the target for mortar and an air attack was bad in that moving the mouse did not necessarily move the target indicator. I did however set the resolution at 1680 X 1050 which is the native resolution of my monitor. The men are certainly small at this resolution. I assume that the jerkiness can be attributed to the fact that this is the original Atomic release from 2000. I also assume that the version from Matrix Games runs smoothly because it is "programmed" to run on XP which is my operating system. I don't believe there is a demo for either CC The Longest Day or CC Arnhem?
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:23 am
by Dundradal
It's a tough call. TLD has more mods for it (and probably more in the works), while LSA has its own unique combat and style (similar to CC3 because of a point system).
My own advice would be to pick up TLD first. You'll have a fair amount of things to keep you busy for a while.
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:59 am
by tigercub
hands down TLD because of the mods..LSArnhem has a long way to go...and all of the close combat games have never been any good with out the mods...
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:09 am
by canuckgamer
Thanks for the replies. If either one of you are running XP, how does TLD run on it? As I mentioned, I tried out the demo for CM Normandy and it was pretty herky jerky. Also where can I check out the mods?
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:30 am
by FeurerKrieg
I am running it on XP and it runs like a charm. Nice and smooth.
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:26 am
by tigercub
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/index.php
you dont need to be a member to download any thing but please do! its good networking and mostly great guys.
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:41 pm
by canuckgamer
Thanks. Judging from the number of mods for CC 5 Normandy, it would be worth buying if I can find it. However, I did try the demo and it did not run very smoothly on my system at 1650 X 1080. I will register at the site later today. Looks like a good resource.
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:57 am
by tigercub
funny but true they were giving CC 5 away in cornflake boxs here 3 years ago so u can get it for free just need to look, cc 5 in the most played in a modded ver that is.
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:22 am
by Andrew Williams
I picked up CC3 in a cereal box too... along with age of empires..
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:00 pm
by canuckgamer
At Ebay.ca I see one CC Normandy for sale at $46.99 plus shipping. There are more at Ebay.com ranging from $20 to $55 USD but would have to check if they ship to Canada. I also saw a free torrent download but a little worried about what I might be downloading. I'm amazed that you got the game in a cereal box? Might just have to go with CC The Longest Day.
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:55 pm
by Cathartes
I recommend CC Longest Day and Last Stand Arnhem. If you get hooked on CC5 Normandy you will be ditching it soon enough anyway. More Mods are underway for tLD, and I suspect a couple of them are getting released relatively soon.
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:58 pm
by STIENER
hey McHugh.....where abouts in canada do you hail from?? im in Vancouver........if were in the same time zone maybe we can hook up for some games?
and like Cathartes says....TLD and LSA are my picks too......LSA will be the one to have sooner or later.....probably later...the options in it are outstanding but its needs alot o work yet from what i can see.
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:22 pm
by Imperial Dane
Well starting to think that perhaps i should have gotten that since the Americans in TLD are getting massacred by my Ost truppen [&:]
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:40 pm
by STIENER
Play H2H.......its where CC shines. playing the AI is a waste of time.
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:08 pm
by mooxe
Do not buy a game based on the fact mods may be coming out.
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:57 am
by walker911
CC Longest Day!! thats great...
[Deleted]
Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:04 am
by Anonymous
[Deleted by Admins]
RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:01 am
by salejerseys