Page 1 of 1

No income from colonies

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:41 am
by Torgrim
I haven't played DW that much due been caught up in other games, only played few times played some time and then rested all over again.

here's my question, why can't i get any income from my colonies only my home planet generate money.
I thought you earned money via tax and trade.

RE: No income from colonies

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:48 am
by Rising-Sun
Have you check the budget screen, all those maintences comes first then your surplus. At first you will be low income til you expand, depend on resources, populations as well the Tech levels. You may have to scrap some ships!

RE: No income from colonies

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:02 am
by Torgrim
It's not my general income it's that my colonies dont pay taxes, i have set low on the newly colonies and the old ones i have normal taxes and still they dont generate any money via taxes at all its a big fat 0.

RE: No income from colonies

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:07 am
by Bingeling
My tip is. If the colony has no revenue, have 0 tax. 0 tax is great for population growth, and more pop will give more revenue, will give more taxes. What make 5000M breeders unhappy for taxing 70 revenue 15%? It pays for the maintenance of a few ships, that's all.

Make them breed and emigrate to new, low pop, high percentage colonies that will become very large and very profitable...

Often I only tax my capital until I need more money for more military force. Breed and be happy.



RE: No income from colonies

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:13 am
by Torgrim
Thanks for the help :)

RE: No income from colonies

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:06 pm
by Data
This tends to become the norm in every 4x game, we could make an universal strategy guide on this. [:)]

RE: No income from colonies

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:38 pm
by Shuul
On how to breed and be happy?))

RE: No income from colonies

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:18 pm
by Data
If we'll ever need a strategy guide for that...we'll never be happy [:D]

RE: No income from colonies

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:25 pm
by EaglePryde
Haha..just epic [:D]

RE: No income from colonies

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:04 pm
by Kayoz
Look in your colonies screen, select the planet - and look for the line on the planet detail (5th one down) indicating GDP. That tells you to .01k, the tax revenue from the planet. You'll probably find that for a new colony it's quite low. If you wait and see the colony population and development increase, you should see that GDP number increase. It's simply a matter of the economic output of the colony being VERY SMALL.

RE: No income from colonies

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:23 pm
by adecoy95
it will take decades for a planet to start generating any noticeable amount of tax income.

you can help speed it along by manually lowering tax rates on these worlds, growth rate is directly effected by the planets tax rate, not its happiness.

RE: No income from colonies

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:29 pm
by Data
I've come to the point where I never expect income from them....by the time they grow enough it's too late anyway [:)]

RE: No income from colonies

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:32 pm
by Kayoz
I realize that it takes a while - he stated that he wasn't getting any income from colonies - so I just told him where to look to see what the "real" output of the colony is - before taxes. I thought it'd give him a better idea of how things are coming along.

Bingeling already gave him a couple of hints on how to increase growth rate. Getting enough luxuries (10?) and such also helps.

RE: No income from colonies

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:20 pm
by Torgrim
Thanks everyone for all the help I understand now, kinda weird it takes so long even to get a 0.1 notch up.

RE: No income from colonies

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:02 pm
by Bingeling
ORIGINAL: Data

I've come to the point where I never expect income from them....by the time they grow enough it's too late anyway [:)]

If you start on the game with a less than stellart home world, any 90+ planet you colonize early on will be outshining the homeworld quite soon. It will be helped by migrants from the home world too.

I should watch the passenger traffic on max pop planets, to see if population is migrated away or killed at birth... If really bored, one can calculate pop growth numbers, and count migrants moving off. My guess is one would discover macabre practices, but I don't really know.