Page 1 of 1

Matrix games that can be played on a netbook.

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:17 pm
by JWW
I'm getting a netbook soon, Acer Aspire with the following among its specs:
1.5GHz Intel Atom N550 dual core processor
10.1" diagonal LED-backlit LCD display with 1024x600 resolution
1GB DDR3 RAM
250GB 5400 RPM SATA hard drive
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 with 64MB of dedicated video memory

Yes, I know netbooks aren't really for gaming. I have a nice desktop for that, and the netbook is mainly for email and surfing the net and social networking and travel and such. But of course I'm wondering what games people might be playing on one. I have quite a collection of Matrix games and wouldn't mind putting a couple of simple ones on there. I read a couple of older threads and someone mentioned TOAW.

RE: Matrix games that can be played on a netbook.

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:48 pm
by Hertston
All of the following work just fine on my acer Aspire (limited to 1024 x 600). By 'fine' I mean with no graphics slowdowns, the relatively low resolution not making play difficult, or increased AI processing times that are a significant issue.

Harpoon Commanders Edition (both old and 'Ultimate')
TOAW 3
Time of Wrath (but not Storm over the Pacific)
Field of Glory (plus all expansions)
Combat Command
Titans of Steel
Highway to the Reich (but not CotA or BftB)

I would particularly recommend Field of Glory and Combat Command as netbook games. Regarding other Matrix titles, there are probably several/many more that would run on a netbook supporting 1024 x 768 (the usual issue for games otherwise not particularly graphically demanding). It's worth noting one title I expected to run, but didn't, was John Tiller's Campaign series.

Regarding non Matrix wargame titles, you might like to know that HPS games from the Squad Battles, ACW and Napoleonic Campaigns, Panzer Campaigns and Modern Campaigns series all run great, actually better than on the desktop as the native resolution is much closer to that the engine was originally designed for. Gallic Wars wouldn't run. I've currently got Midway on order, so I'll edit to include that when it arrives. NWS' Warship Combat: Navies at War runs well, as does Metal Brigade Tactics.

And regarding other genres, the answer is generally 'not a lot' published recently. Older strategy games, adventure games and RPGs ('Good Old Games' is a good place to shop) usually run fine, and often look much better on the smaller screen. Among titles that work really well are Age of Wonders (all three), realMyst and Riven, the Syberia games, The Longest Journey and the legendary Planescape: Torment. Dominions 3 is also fine.


RE: Matrix games that can be played on a netbook.

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:53 pm
by Lützow
You should be able to run almost every Matrix title which doesn't require a vertical resolution higher than 600.

RE: Matrix games that can be played on a netbook.

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:17 pm
by barniface
I have the same computer. If you want to run most of Matrix on this system, you will need a higher screen resolution. To get a higher screen resolution you have to edit Display1_DownScalingSupported in your registry. Follow this link to find out how. http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=80812
I'll try to copy and paste the info here:

Intel graphics drivers for Win7 have support for the compressed resolution .

Access to these modes:
1) Run regedit
1a) If you are not on higest tree level, go to him (by click on "Computer" from key tree)
2) Search and modify all values "Display1_DownScalingSupported" from "0" to "1"
3) Restart the system
4) Enjoy with the two new resolutions 1024x768 i 1152x864



Info:
- This method does not change the resolution only adds new options to choose ("Control Panel->Display->Screen Resolution" or "RMB-> Screen Resolution").
- New resolutions are not assigned to HotKey'a.

Last edited by Sanjuro (2009-12-31 5:01:42 pm)

RE: Matrix games that can be played on a netbook.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:40 am
by diablo1
I know I was able to run Panzer Command;Kharkov on mine and that one probably takes up more resources than most. Games like Distant Worlds or BftB probably won't work. Advanced Tactics, Tin Soldiers, and Field of Glory work.

RE: Matrix games that can be played on a netbook.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:57 pm
by JWW
Thanks for the info all.  I don't think I want to mess with thenative resolution and will be doing most of my gaming on my desktop anyway, but it is good to know I can play some games on the netbook.  Something like TOAW or Field of Glory on there would be something good to pass time if on a trip or something.  I notice btw that the screen resolution of Field of Glory is listed at 1024x600. Never noticed that before.



RE: Matrix games that can be played on a netbook.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:43 pm
by mllange
ORIGINAL: JW

I'm getting a netbook soon, Acer Aspire with the following among its specs:
1.5GHz Intel Atom N550 dual core processor
10.1" diagonal LED-backlit LCD display with 1024x600 resolution
1GB DDR3 RAM
250GB 5400 RPM SATA hard drive
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 with 64MB of dedicated video memory

Yes, I know netbooks aren't really for gaming. I have a nice desktop for that, and the netbook is mainly for email and surfing the net and social networking and travel and such. But of course I'm wondering what games people might be playing on one. I have quite a collection of Matrix games and wouldn't mind putting a couple of simple ones on there. I read a couple of older threads and someone mentioned TOAW.

You may also want to check out the HP DM1Z series, built around the new AMD Fusion processor (E350); this build will provide a far superior computing/gaming experience compared to the Atom series. (It also includes MD Radeon HD 6310 discrete-class graphics and support for DX11.)

Check out any of the reviews issued on the Fusion-based laptops and I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised at what you'll get for roughly the same price as a netbook.

RE: Matrix games that can be played on a netbook.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:23 am
by JWW
Too late.  Wife already ordered it.  And we're both happy with it.  Sounds neat though.

RE: Matrix games that can be played on a netbook.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:22 am
by Hertston
ORIGINAL: JW

I notice btw that the screen resolution of Field of Glory is listed at 1024x600. Never noticed that before.

Neither did I until I decided to load it on the netbook. I assume that was with netbooks in mind - kudos for that.

RE: Matrix games that can be played on a netbook.

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:26 pm
by JWW
Hertston, since you have an Acer Aspire, question.  I had to to a good deal of updating to mine to get it working properly.  The wireless connection was dropping like crazy, but I read that updating the bios fixed that problem, so I updated the bios and a couple of drivers through Acer support site, and fixed that problem.   The only thing I don't like now is choppy video reply, like youtube, lots of buffering.  Any suggestions? 

RE: Matrix games that can be played on a netbook.

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:55 pm
by Phatguy
One suggestion...better cpu.....

at least so in mine...i'm dealing with a 1.0 gHz in my Aspire. Still useable but not very good for "fun" stuff.......

RE: Matrix games that can be played on a netbook.

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:36 pm
by Hertston
ORIGINAL: JW

Hertston, since you have an Acer Aspire, question.  I had to to a good deal of updating to mine to get it working properly.  The wireless connection was dropping like crazy, but I read that updating the bios fixed that problem, so I updated the bios and a couple of drivers through Acer support site, and fixed that problem.   The only thing I don't like now is choppy video reply, like youtube, lots of buffering.  Any suggestions? 

Not really, I'm afraid. My Acer Aspire experience has been pretty much grief free; the only troubles I've ever had are getting it and my desktop to communicate reliably via a homegroup (which still seems screwed up with 7 generally) and finding a utility to allow you to change wallpaper with Windows 7 Starter, which I eventually did.

I've got the 1.6GHz processor which certainly might help compared to the 1GHz, but IMHO screen resolution is easily the most important factor. Trouble is, as far as I'm aware better resolution still comes with a bigger screen size, so you might as well get one of smaller full featured laptops for 'serious' gaming on the move if your wallet can take the hit. I'm perfectly happy with the games I listed. Midway, BTW I haven't tried; I suspect it would run but it's obvious from my desktop install you really do need a much larger resolution for that, and presumably the other HPS naval games as well.

RE: Matrix games that can be played on a netbook.

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:10 pm
by JWW
Actually I think I fixed the problem.  I did a lot of updates including installing Win 7 service pack one, and it looks like my videos are playing almost stutter-free now.  I've got the 1.5gz dual core processor.

RE: Matrix games that can be played on a netbook.

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:45 pm
by Anguille
Reach for the Stars runs very well. I have it running on 4 different computers (desktop with xp, laptop with 7 pro ultimate, laptop with 7 home ultimate and a netbook with 7 basic). I have no idea why they don't have it anymore....i never had a problem running it. Maybe some had problems with Vista, i don't know. I think Matrix should take it again in the catalogue as a cheaper download. It's a solid 4x wargame (all turn-based) really ideal for the netbook.

Cheers

RE: Matrix games that can be played on a netbook.

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:47 pm
by ilovestrategy
This is the second time this week ive seen someone here talking about Reach for the Stars. I'm gonna have to check this out.