Page 1 of 1

Tanks retreating

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:14 pm
by Jacko
Since even the best armoured tanks are vulnerable when hit in the back during retreating, I wonder whether there's a way to make them drive backwards, so keeping the front at the enemy

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:44 pm
by chief
Jacko unfortunately the answer is NO....this has been brought up many times before and the powers that be say NO, I believe it has to do with the original game engine....sorry:( :confused: :cool:

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:13 pm
by Jacko
Never mind, Chief, still some room for improvement in the future then. It's just that I lost quite some tanks and Stugs in the watchword freedom-campaign I'm now playing. Combined with reading Douglas E. Nashs book "Hell Gate", about the battle of the Cherkassy Pocket, I'm having a great time anyway. I can recommend this book to everyone. It's not cheap, but definitely worth it. Thanks for your reply, Chief! And SPWAW still is the best tactical game I've ever laid my hands on.

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:07 am
by Resisti
Remember to check if your tanks have smoke discharger.
In this case, by pressing "D" key you'll lay thick smoke in the three hexes in front of yr tank and this will permit it a safer retreat.
Note: only one smoke charge is available normally, so use it wisely..

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:30 am
by Jacko
I'll try that. Thanks Resisti.

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:06 am
by G_X
To my knowledge, you'd probably have to ask someone with actual experience with the vehicles, retreating by moving in reverse is almost as bad as sitting there and taking fire because of the low speed of the reverse gear.

Besides, I think even today when people run away they don't walk backwards ;)

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:24 am
by Jacko
In quite some books it is mentioned that tanks under fire retreat backwards. It was common practice. Speed offers a certain protection, but not as much as front armour. Experienced (anti-) tank gunners can easily knock out a tank driving at full speed.

Besides running away backwards from your enemies isn't a bad idea, at least you can keep an eye on them. But let it be said that I'm not the person who runs away from his enemies. I go straight at them. Dran, drauf und durch! :D

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:37 am
by G_X
Those same experienced Anti-Tank gunners can put a shot on the Turret Lip and take the turret off of your tank, making your armor quite useless ;)

I suppose, I've never read those books (Hell I thought rever gears max speed was 2 miles an hour or so...makes retreating more like sitting there and slowly backing away)