Page 1 of 1
Luftwaffe Field Divisions - anything worthwhile?
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:19 am
by IdahoNYer
In my PBEM, I'm starting to get a number of the Luftwaffe Field Divisions. They seem pretty worthless as far as combat formations go. And we don't have Goring forcing them on us....
So, what do you guys do with them?
Disband them for the manpower?
Put them in the line?
Hunt partisans with them?
Right now, I'm hunting partisans with them.
RE: Luftwaffe Field Divisions - anything worthwhile?
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:32 am
by Flaviusx
They are pretty good as diggers.
RE: Luftwaffe Field Divisions - anything worthwhile?
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:53 am
by Aussiematto
Anti partisan troops; entrenchments; I am using them at the moment in one game broken into regiments as a sacrificial screen before a horde of T-34s and Cossacks arrives on my main line! Everything is precious....
RE: Luftwaffe Field Divisions - anything worthwhile?
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:26 am
by randallw
I like Luftwaffe divisions; they are well versed with the word 'retreat'.
RE: Luftwaffe Field Divisions - anything worthwhile?
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:02 am
by Tarhunnas
I usually disband on sight, or maybe sometimes break down and use as garrison or antipartisan units. The manpower and weapons are better used in other units.
RE: Luftwaffe Field Divisions - anything worthwhile?
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:07 am
by herwin
ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer
In my PBEM, I'm starting to get a number of the Luftwaffe Field Divisions. They seem pretty worthless as far as combat formations go. And we don't have Goring forcing them on us....
So, what do you guys do with them?
Disband them for the manpower?
Put them in the line?
Hunt partisans with them?
Right now, I'm hunting partisans with them.
They were good quality personnel, but untrained--basically ground crew excess to requirements. They would have been best used as replacements, but Goering didn't want to lose them to the army.
RE: Luftwaffe Field Divisions - anything worthwhile?
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:33 am
by Naughteous Maximus
I personally use the LFD's as security units and as city garrisons. With all the partisan activity later in the game, they come in handy. I've also, when needed, broken them down into regiments and merged the individual regiments with depleted infantry divisions to bulk them up.
RE: Luftwaffe Field Divisions - anything worthwhile?
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:38 am
by morvael
In late 43 (I think) their TOE improves significantly.
RE: Luftwaffe Field Divisions - anything worthwhile?
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:40 am
by fiva55
ORIGINAL: morvael
In late 43 (I think) their TOE improves significantly.
They do, entering begin 1944 in my GC, they are the strongest IDs I have [:D].
But to answer the OP, there is no need to disband the divisions, unless you are desperately short on rifle squads. There is always a line to be digged or some partisans that need to be displaced, so you might as well use the luftwaffe field divisions for those tasks.
RE: Luftwaffe Field Divisions - anything worthwhile?
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:25 pm
by CMoore
I just break them up and merge them with my real divisions
RE: Luftwaffe Field Divisions - anything worthwhile?
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:09 pm
by IdahoNYer
Thanks all. Pretty much what I'm doing. For now they'll chase partisans and dig the Eastern Rampart.
Once the front gets closer, I'll seriously consider disbanding to fill up infantry divisions.
thanks!
RE: Luftwaffe Field Divisions - anything worthwhile?
Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:19 pm
by carnifex
They make a great garrison for the Moscow area.