Page 1 of 1

Turning Weapons ON/OFF

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:10 am
by antarctic
A long standing SP mystry of mine.......

I've heard alot about turning weapons (eg main gun of a tank, or a few tubes of arty) on and off. How can you do that??


Thanks in advance

Antarctic

Here's what you do...

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:48 am
by KG Erwin
...right-click on a unit. The info screen for that unit is displayed. You can click on the weapons list on the unit. Once it's highlighted in red, it will NOT be fired during your turn, or in opportunity fire. If you have MG units with a secondary rifle/carbine, set the secondary weapons OFF. You want the maximum amount of automatic firepower in a game like this. You may also want to do this with 50mm or 60mm mortar units. It all depends on how you want to use the units . SPWaW is a battalion-level WWII simulation, and is designed to reflect realistic combined-arms tactical warfare in that time-frame. Get Larry Holt's tactics guide--it covers just about everything you need to know to play SPWaW successfully. I will also say that this IS my favorite wargame of all time, bar none, given its flexibility for scenario design, and its sheer brilliance in getting YOU, the commander , directly involved in the battles in any way you see fit to choose.

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:01 am
by Capt. Pixel
Just a follow-up on the obvious. Right-clicking on your opponent's units will NOT allow you to turn off his weapons. Darn! :p

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:12 am
by chief
And to add to Capt Pixels dam, double dam if you forget to turn it (the quiet gun) back on because if you meet another tank later and your main gun is off, welllllllllllll..........:( :o :eek:

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:15 am
by Capt. Pixel
Originally posted by chief
And to add to Capt Pixels dam, double dam if you forget to turn it (the quiet gun) back on because if you meet another tank later and your main gun is off, welllllllllllll..........:( :o :eek:
Yeah, I REALLY hate that.

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:18 am
by chief
whooo that hurts capt. been there, done that and hate yourself for doing it. tsk tsk....by the way I see I'm not the only one.:D :D :rolleyes: :)

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:11 am
by Capt. Pixel
It happens that I almost did that very same thing in a battle I'm playing tonight. I almost didn't get that second set of artillery tubes turned back on before the first set was emptied. :o

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:10 am
by G_X
During my North Africa campaign I'm doing (As Germany, Vs. Brits so far) I try to turn my main guns off, mostly because the computer chooses lots of infantry, and I'll send a few tanks forward (A platoon of III's usually) with just their MGs on to break enemy defense lines.

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:22 am
by antarctic
Ahhhh...... I see.... thanks for enlightening me, guys....

Hmmm... About that North Africa campaign.... I've been doing a Germany vs. Poland campaign, and I went tank heavy, and I still fired the main gun. It seems that HE rounds do real well against massed infantry (if you get within two hexes of the target, I think). Flamethrowers are even better.......

As a spin off, can you decide wheter a HE/HEAT round is fired, or an AP round is fired in SPWAW, or is it automatically decided for you??


Thanks guys

Antarctic

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:01 am
by chief
ANT. Unfortunately it is automatic, (Hard) targets ie: tanks, HT and some bunkers use AP ammo, (Soft) targets, ie: men, trucks, AT guns MGS used HE ammo. You must watch ALL AMMO supply or ...............:eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:05 am
by G_X
Tanks are OK with their main gun against infantry, yeah, but my MGs are more accurate and get better kills because of the MG physics (The computer always moves it's infantry more than one hex in a turn, making the MGs very effective) And it being 41 with basically just PzIII's and 4 PzIV's, the Fire Control ratings aren't that great, affecting the Main Gun accuracy, I prefer the MGs for Infantry or Soft Target killing.

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 5:21 am
by antarctic
Thanks guys....
You must watch ALL AMMO supply or ...............


hehe... :-)


Antarctic

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:51 am
by stevemk1a
If you have MG units with a secondary rifle/carbine, set the secondary weapons off

By KG Erwin.

Very interesting! does doing that increase the amount of opfires that the MG will take? In other words, is the secondary weapon fire counted in some way against the fire rate of the primary weapon? If so, this would be a good practice for MG units facing a distant foe against which rifle fire would be ineffective. I'm always amazed by the depth of this game... :)

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:07 pm
by G_X
Yes, if the MG crew taks an Op Fire that's a rifle shot, it loses an opfire chance for all weapons, mostly it's MG.

I always turn my rifle off on my MG squads.