Page 1 of 1

Carrier CAP not Working

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:04 pm
by Black Cat
It is 6/42 and I have a 3 CV TF parked in Hex 38.42 which is 2 hexs from Lunga.

The Hornet`s VF - 8 is set to Long Range CAP, it has experience 77, fatigue 22, 30 AC available. The Hornet has no damage at all and lots of fuel.

They have been sitting there 6 turns watching at least 8 100+ plane Betty/Nell/Zero strikes sail down the Slot and hit the Supply Convoy`s , The Surface Action TF, the Base Troops and the Airfield and have done nothing at all.

FWIW the CV`s have been spotted by Japanese Recon several times and not one strike has been sent at them... I have a Saved Game .

Is this a known Bug or am I doing something wrong ?

PS: The fighters at PM perform LR Cap all the time for the Supply Convoys

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:29 pm
by Capt Cliff
Yep! Been there done that! But I've seen both!? If you put your cap on the TF then it works better. If you put it on the hex then I think theres a probability factor rolled in as to whether the LRCAP will intercept. I've done the excact same thing you've done and no LRCAP! So I left it or forgot to change it and the next turn it started working! The LRCAP would defend all units in that hex! There might be a bug in initializing the LRCAP, but I don't know. The programers got to look at the code.

Carrier LRCAP...

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:10 am
by Erik Rutins
Carrier TFs in general are reluctant to assign their CAP to other TFs. If you want this to happen, I find you have to do it manually. Commanders of unsinkable land bases are less reluctant to send their planes elsewhere. :)

Regards,

- Erik

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:12 am
by Capt Cliff
Blackcat,

I have successfully appied CAP from a air combat TF to bases and they do protect everything in the hex! But it leaves the air combat TF venerable!

What would be nice is to be able to assign a percent of your fighters to LRCAP a the rest to TF defense!

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 6:02 am
by 1089
Originally posted by Capt Cliff
Blackcat,

I have successfully appied CAP from a air combat TF to bases and they do protect everything in the hex! But it leaves the air combat TF venerable!

What would be nice is to be able to assign a percent of your fighters to LRCAP a the rest to TF defense!
You can if you have more than one carrier in the TF.

kp

A ha

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:38 pm
by Ron Saueracker
More demand for naval fighter squadrons to have two divisions or a percentage toggle, just like escort missions. If I was a TF commander, I would not leave my carriers without CAP either, but the mechanics sometimes force us to. More flexibility needed here.

Re: Carrier CAP not Working

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:09 am
by dgaad
Originally posted by Black Cat


The Hornet`s VF - 8 is set to Long Range CAP, it has experience 77, fatigue 22, 30 AC available. The Hornet has no damage at all and lots of fuel.

Is this a known Bug or am I doing something wrong ?

PS: The fighters at PM perform LR Cap all the time for the Supply Convoys
As has been said, CAGs will rarely fly an LRCAP mission unless manually assigned. To Manually assign, you have to pick LRCAP and then select the target : either the hex you want them to be in or the TF you want them to protect.

Re: Re: Carrier CAP not Working

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:57 am
by Black Cat
Originally posted by dgaad


As has been said, CAGs will rarely fly an LRCAP mission unless manually assigned. To Manually assign, you have to pick LRCAP and then select the target : either the hex you want them to be in or the TF you want them to protect.
Thanks dgad, was expecting them to default to protecting the nearest other TF as the LBA does.

PS: thanks to all others who responded as well.