Page 1 of 1

Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:50 pm
by Harmonious Hegemony
As a noob to the game I would really like to see some documentation on the tech tree, including the benefits that accrue from each advancement. Almost every other 4x game that I know of has a .pdf or the like of the tech tree that you can print out. Is there one for DW? Can someone tell me where to find it?

RE: Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:53 pm
by Igard
Welcome to the forum.[:)]

I don't belive there is one, HH. It would be very handy indeed. Hopefully there'll be a bunch more techs for us to play with in the next expansion.



RE: Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:53 pm
by cookie monster
No there's not one.

Therefore it can't be found.

Welcome to the forum!

RE: Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:14 pm
by Harmonious Hegemony
That's a serious bummer. How do you know if a tech the AI is trying to sell you is worthwhile? How do you know if the tech in a captured ship is an advance for you? How do you evaluate tech trades? It seems to me that without an understanding of the tech tree one is flying in the dark, more or less.

RE: Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:27 pm
by Wade1000
Several similiar games in the past started with this same problem; not able to easily evaluate techs in a trade. The games would then latr get an update to add mouse over or window descriptions on the techs in diplomacy.
 
It seems that by now game designers should have ths down as standard feature on release versions.
 
Also, several other seemiingly essential features added in past games that are still missing or later added to new games in updates.

RE: Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:35 am
by Data
Hi HH and welcome to the forum. What I do (here and in other similar cases) is to start a new game, use the editor to set the tech level to 7 (max) and than save. Whenever I need to check any detail on a particular tech I load up that reference save. A bit cluncky but it gets the job done.

RE: Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:29 am
by Locarnus
For a techtree the reference is of course the one from KineticShipyards for SE5 Balance Mod:

http://www.poeland.com/SE5/techtree/purposes.html

Note that you can switch between functional and tech breakdown.
There is nothing close to it for any other game i know of.
But well, except maybe for moo2 there is nothing close to the tech complexity as well...

Although DW does not nearly have this complexity, the concept would be helpful as well.

RE: Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:40 am
by Data
we can build a pedia of our own like XCOM and other great games had / have
it's an old project for whoever has enough time but expansions change the tech tree as well so the pedia will need to be maintained as well

RE: Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:21 pm
by Harmonious Hegemony
So on this topic, I found a screenshot on the Code Force webpage of the tech tree. It looks like it comes from the Research window, but I can't find it. Can anybody guess where it can be found, or what the story is behind it? (Maybe this is old news and since I'm new I don't know about it.)

Image

RE: Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:08 pm
by Igard
That's a screenshot of the weapons research tree which was introduced in the Return of the Shakturi expansion. If you're running original DW without the expansion, the research screen is nothing like this (unless they changed it for 1.0.7, I haven't tried that).

RE: Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:54 pm
by Data
I don't think so, 1.0.7 was about bug fixing mostly iirc. Also many of the techs in the expansion are not in the vanilla afaik.

RE: Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:05 pm
by Igard
Ah, ok Data. I'm not up to speed on the vanilla updates.

RE: Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:12 am
by ehsumrell1
Data is absolutely correct.

RE: Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:00 pm
by Harmonious Hegemony
OK, got it. I guess that scores one for the expansion. I can confirm that it isn't in 1.0.7. While on that subject, I tried that patch a few days ago and the gas cloud bug makes it unplayable. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling 1.0.6 again. Those who are waiting until CF does a bug pass before they go to 1.0.7 are doing the right thing.

RE: Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:52 pm
by Kayoz
ORIGINAL: Data

we can build a pedia of our own like XCOM and other great games had / have
it's an old project for whoever has enough time but expansions change the tech tree as well so the pedia will need to be maintained as well

The complete lack of response or feedback from Erik makes this a very difficult prospect. I'm no marketing guru, but months of silence following an announcement of a release seems to be a bad idea.

RE: Tech Tree Documentation

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:01 am
by Data
You're right.....you're not a marketing guru [:)]