Page 1 of 1

Supernova picture

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:15 pm
by Merker
Yo, anyone ever seen this kind of supernova graphic before in DW vanilla or ROTS? I've seen this picture in the first game after patching to 1.0.7, no mods installed:
Image

Usually I get the contours only, not the explodey center

Cheers

RE: Supernova picture

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:21 pm
by Data
Yap, I've seen it in every game in every version I can remember....pretty sure about it also, I always like watching it

RE: Supernova picture

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:25 pm
by Baleur
Oh god how i wish the galaxy in Distant Worlds was dynamic. With blue & red supergiants eventually having a low chance of going nova, adding some dark clouds to the galaxy map.
As Data's signature states, igniting stellar cores..

RE: Supernova picture

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:33 pm
by Niaru
Interesting. I never see the star in the middle. Odd.

RE: Supernova picture

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:53 pm
by Kayoz
ORIGINAL: Baleur

Oh god how i wish the galaxy in Distant Worlds was dynamic. With blue & red supergiants eventually having a low chance of going nova, adding some dark clouds to the galaxy map.
As Data's signature states, igniting stellar cores..

You'd have to play a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGG game for it to happen. A few hundred million years might do it for you to see one, at realistic chances.

RE: Supernova picture

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:36 am
by Data
hell yeah, Baleur, the universe is magnific and DW comes close to getting that feeling across.

RE: Supernova picture

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:07 am
by Baleur
ORIGINAL: Kayoz
ORIGINAL: Baleur
Oh god how i wish the galaxy in Distant Worlds was dynamic. With blue & red supergiants eventually having a low chance of going nova, adding some dark clouds to the galaxy map.
As Data's signature states, igniting stellar cores..
You'd have to play a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGG game for it to happen. A few hundred million years might do it for you to see one, at realistic chances.

But colonizing an entire galaxy in a few hundred years is realistic? :p

RE: Supernova picture

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:28 pm
by tjhkkr
ORIGINAL: Baleur
Oh god how i wish the galaxy in Distant Worlds was dynamic. With blue & red supergiants eventually having a low chance of going nova, adding some dark clouds to the galaxy map.
As Data's signature states, igniting stellar cores..

Yeah, but with my luck, the star that goes supernova would be my home planet... [:D]
But yes, I agree.

RE: Supernova picture

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:36 pm
by Igard
The average for a supernova explosion in our galaxy is 1 every 50 years, so it's entirely possible to have supernovas and novas as random events in the game.

Of course, it's less likely that 1 of the 1400 stars in the game's galaxy will go nova. Compared to our galaxy which is estimated to have as many as 400 billion stars.

RE: Supernova picture

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:37 am
by Tigan
Tjhkkr. It´s not that unlikely to loose your homesystem by a supernova. This crap happened to me in "birth of the federation". I was playing as klingon and my only system went supernoca in turn 3 [:D].

But it´s a great idea. A changing universe would make the game much more intresting. Supernovas, planets changing their orbit, asteroid impacts, eco-catasterophis, pleagues....planetary earthquakes destroying your invrastructure......lucky as I am every negative event will trigger right after I press the start button [:D]

RE: Supernova picture

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:41 am
by Data
Anyone remember the klingon moon splitting? [:)]

RE: Supernova picture

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:41 pm
by tjhkkr
Are you talking about Praxis?

RE: Supernova picture

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:02 pm
by Data
Hell yeahh, thank you TJ....always a pleasure to see good memory from someone else. I lost faith in mine long ago [:)]

RE: Supernova picture

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:54 pm
by tjhkkr
Well we got the name... but um umm ummm Data you may need a memory check, because Praxis did not crack -- it sort of blew up...

RE: Supernova picture

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:13 pm
by Data
Fortunatelly, that's not a memory problem but a non-english speaker expressing himself problem [:)]
Or that's my excuse, at least.

RE: Supernova picture

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:52 pm
by tjhkkr
Then I should shut up and forget about it -- my apologies... [8D]

Oh, and your English is better than mine is... so do not worry about it... [:)][8D][;)]