Page 1 of 1

Which side do you play in WitE when playing against a human player?

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:47 pm
by Joel Billings
This question is for games against another human player.

RE: Which side do you play in WitE when playing against a human player?

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:38 pm
by Vyper
So far I've only played Soviet vs the 3 humans I have had/have games with. But my intent is to get good with one side so I know its strengths and weaknesses then play the other side until I feel I have matsred that also.

So I voted Soviet only, but that will change in the future.

RE: Which side do you play in WitE when playing against a human player?

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:56 pm
by carlkay58
I voted Soviet only because I and a friend are still learning how to play and, since I started playing before him, I got the Soviets. This will probably change in the future though.

RE: Which side do you play in WitE when playing against a human player?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:05 am
by PeeDeeAitch
I have played the Axis exclusively, but that is because I am new - I feel I should give myself at least a year as the Axis before I move on to the Soviets. A year at that and I can begin to judge which side I am good at.

RE: Which side do you play in WitE when playing against a human player?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:52 am
by Tarhunnas
I voted both equally. I have played more games as the Soviet, but I have played far more turns as the Axis. I always wanted to play a GC as the Soviets into 1942, and this might sound douchy, but I have found that if I want the Germans to last beyond turn 10, I have to play them myself. 

RE: Which side do you play in WitE when playing against a human player?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:32 am
by Jakerson
I play Soviet side mostly but I play Germans too since it helps to understand their abilities.

RE: Which side do you play in WitE when playing against a human player?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:14 am
by Harovan
Against the AI I play Axis only, because it plays the Soviets better than it plays the Axis. Against other humans I have participated only in 2 games, one PBEM as Soviets and the first 10 turns as AGS in the Za Rodinu team game. I had to get myself replaced because of heavy work load, but if that ever ends (it may in autumn) and I start another PBEM or server game, I plan to have my opponent choose sides. Voted "equally".


RE: Which side do you play in WitE when playing against a human player?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:39 am
by Manstein63
I have 2 GC's  as well as the Barbarossa Scenario which I am playing as the Soviets all of my games as the Axis player have been the short road to training games & I probably won't play a GC as the Axis until at least 2 of the games are completed, as my wife allows me only a limited amount of free time (usually when she is asleep)
Manstein63

RE: Which side do you play in WitE when playing against a human player?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:51 am
by Kulturhund
Typically the side that lost historically, so chose 'play Axis more than Soviet'.

@ Manstein63, have you tried telling your wife that playing wargames is far preferable to your carousing with wine and (other) women? This tactic has been known to achieve varying degrees of success [;)]

RE: Which side do you play in WitE when playing against a human player?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:20 am
by Manstein63
She is already aware of that argument. She just thinks that I should spend all my non-working & sleeping time with her
Manstein63

RE: Which side do you play in WitE when playing against a human player?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:45 pm
by Encircled
Only played Soviet against Human players, but certainly will be playing Axis at some point.

So voted Soviet only

RE: Which side do you play in WitE when playing against a human player?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:15 pm
by timmyab
I play both.I find the Axis side far more difficult.At the end of a Soviet turn I can usually sit back contented and say "right, chew on that Adolf".

RE: Which side do you play in WitE when playing against a human player?

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:14 pm
by pompack
Interesting results:

This poll indicates that people who play the Russians against another player are less likely to respond to polls [:D]

RE: Which side do you play in WitE when playing against a human player?

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:40 pm
by Tarhunnas
ORIGINAL: pompack

Interesting results:

This poll indicates that people who play the Russians against another player are less likely to respond to polls [:D]

How do you deduce that?

RE: Which side do you play in WitE when playing against a human player?

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:51 pm
by marcpennington
ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas

ORIGINAL: pompack

Interesting results:

This poll indicates that people who play the Russians against another player are less likely to respond to polls [:D]

How do you deduce that?

If I'm not mistaken, the argument would go that every multiplayer game requires two sides, so the number of players of each side should be equal. But conversely, I find that the Soviet side requires generally less time per turn then the Axis, at least for 1941, so perhaps it's fewer Soviet players playing more PBEM games each... :)

Edit: though now the poll is 25-24, so the Soviets are no longer under-represented...